Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
341 - 360 of 1013 Posts

·
Padawan Overclocker
2,807 Posts
If true AMD could take a good chunk of the market seeing Intel has crap all and might not have crap all till 2020.

But... AMD need to kick the motherboard manufactures in the ass, we have a handful of semi decent boards, most of them are the stupidly expensive high end ATX, mATX and ITX don't really have much, sure some have nice features but the power delivery and cooling of that power delivery on most boards is laughable.
What AMD needs is to make reference motherboards.
I still couldn't upgrade due to ridonculus ram prices especially in my country. If this round, amd cpus can make love with RAMs outta box, it'll be their best launch since what....

PS: as long as i can't throw any ram with any mobo, it's a bad product from both sides. No one should accept "compatibility" issues in this day and age.

·
Banned
403 Posts
I still couldn't upgrade due to ridonculus ram prices especially in my country. If this round, amd cpus can make love with RAMs outta box, it'll be their best launch since what....

PS: as long as i can't throw any ram with any mobo, it's a bad product from both sides. No one should accept "compatibility" issues in this day and age.
Like they said gonna win in sheer core line up with all that. There's no issue with Ram anymore..should be able to run most decent kits with ease. It looks good on their end it does.

·
mfw
8,629 Posts
I have 2 NVME and 2 GPU so im using 24 lanes. My updated sig doesn't show up. Unless Ryzen 2 adds faster chipset lanes. I'm not sure it will work for me. Plus i would like to add another NVME in the future. :)
You have to disable and enable back rig in sig feature in userCP's signature tab for it to show the updates you have made in rigbuilder.

·
Banned
403 Posts
You have to disable and enable back rig in sig feature in userCP's signature tab for it to show the updates you have made in rigbuilder.
well 2nd gen..They talked about Infinity Fabric or something stuff tech...I don't know stuff to reduce more latencies and input Lag..and smoother experience. I have to say it's pretty smooth at 4.3.

·
Hey I get one of these!
7,508 Posts

Any ram that fits in the socket will work at JEDEC just fine. There is no compatibility issue.

If you are expecting any RAM you can find in the world to work on it's XMP profile without it being on the board and CPUs QVL, you're in for a bad day no matter what CPU you buy.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts

^^^^This.

I'm unhappy with the motherboard manufacturers and hope the memory manufacturers get sued for their price gouging. If I can just drop a Zen2 onto my X370 mobo it will save me $200-$700 depending on how much new stuff i would otherwise buy. If I do end up getting another mobo it will probably be another Biostar just to thumb me nose at the big boys.

·
Banned
403 Posts
^^^^This.

I'm unhappy with the motherboard manufacturers and hope the memory manufacturers get sued for their price gouging. If I can just drop a Zen2 onto my X370 mobo it will save me $200-$700 depending on how much new stuff i would otherwise buy. If I do end up getting another mobo it will probably be another Biostar just to thumb me nose at the big boys.
Well good time to maybe buy an x470. Looking at thrid gen chips next year and should be drop in and go I guess. If it plays out that way.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
5,963 Posts
Well good time to maybe buy an x470. Looking at thrid gen chips next year and should be drop in and go I guess. If it plays out that way.
Now why would you upgrade from a x370 to an x470. To run a next gen cpu. If a newer x570 is coming out with that next gen cpu. If nothing is wrong with the x370 it would be better to wait for x570. Or wait for the prices to drop on the x470? :)

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Agreed. If you have a good X370 board already there isn't any reason to upgrade to X470 unless it has some feature you really want that you don't currently have. That said, if this leak is correct then I suspect those flagship 16C/32T chips would require a new board anyway because of the power requirements...

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,138 Posts
Wait, if I switch to an AMD motherboard do I need to replace my RAM??

·
Debian Dude
2,184 Posts
Wait, if I switch to an AMD motherboard do I need to replace my RAM??
If you're already on a DDR4 based Intel platform, no. You might get better performance if you do, but it's not strictly necessary.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Why would you want to change your mobo? The whole point of Zen CPU is that you dont have to change the mobo. Even a B350 should support a 2020 Zen 3 CPU

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Why would you want to change your mobo? The whole point of Zen CPU is that you dont have to change the mobo. Even a B350 should support a 2020 Zen 3 CPU
Idk little things like better VRM, extended RAM and CPU overclocking, native CPU support, etc.
The point of Zen is to be a good CPU, the ability to reuse a motherboard is a perk associated with AMD but just because a CPU will work in a board doesn't mean you should do it or that it's ideal. Sure a B350 board might have support for an 8+ core 3000 CPU but if the B350 board has a weaker VRM you're not going to have much fun overclocking your new CPU. It works well enough now because more vcore doesn't give you more speed in most cases. Imagine how much vcore you'd throw at a 2700X if it scaled all the way up to 5Ghz? There are also load of H/Z370 boards that will work with a 9900k in them but that doesn't mean it's a great idea, hell if you're overclocking you'd be chucking more vcore for less speed than you'd get with a better board.

The point of socket longevity isn't to use a motherboard as long as possible, it's so you have the option to do so if you need to or want to. That doesn't mean that boards haven't gotten any better.

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,138 Posts
If you're already on a DDR4 based Intel platform, no. You might get better performance if you do, but it's not strictly necessary.
Ahh, I see. Well, that's good -- I don't want to be buying new RAM as well as a mobo and CPU.

·
Banned
403 Posts
Idk little things like better VRM, extended RAM and CPU overclocking, native CPU support, etc.
The point of Zen is to be a good CPU, the ability to reuse a motherboard is a perk associated with AMD but just because a CPU will work in a board doesn't mean you should do it or that it's ideal. Sure a B350 board might have support for an 8+ core 3000 CPU but if the B350 board has a weaker VRM you're not going to have much fun overclocking your new CPU. It works well enough now because more vcore doesn't give you more speed in most cases. Imagine how much vcore you'd throw at a 2700X if it scaled all the way up to 5Ghz? There are also load of H/Z370 boards that will work with a 9900k in them but that doesn't mean it's a great idea, hell if you're overclocking you'd be chucking more vcore for less speed than you'd get with a better board.

The point of socket longevity isn't to use a motherboard as long as possible, it's so you have the option to do so if you need to or want to. That doesn't mean that boards haven't gotten any better.
Why I like them...They said and did Plan it up to 2020. Yeah maybe some won't be able to take full advantage of trying to overclock more core cpu's. But at least you might have the better chip replacement. And they will Probably have an attractive Price. That said I feel 2nd gen is Powerful, but yeah if we could drop in 5ghz capable cpu's, there is nothing wrong with that.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
5,963 Posts
I wonder if the chipset lanes on the B550 and x570 will be upgraded to Gen3/4 My guess would be Gen3 if they moving up to gen4 CPU lanes.

Then it might have enough Pcie lanes to upgrade to AM4 over threadripper.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
The motherboards are not getting better and are still only adequate at best. The only reason to get a new motherboard is if you want the improved AMD chipset.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
5,963 Posts
The motherboards are not getting better and are still only adequate at best. The only reason to get a new motherboard is if you want the improved AMD chipset.
Yeah, If only DFI would come back and show the others how to make an AMD motherboard. :D

·
Sexagenarian
1,052 Posts
I have an Asus Crossfire VI extreme in one of my machines . I have not replaced it because I have not , as yet, found a better board . That said , I believe that they did not sell well .

341 - 360 of 1013 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.