Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the real advantage of lga775 if intel have said that they won't be making a 4ghz cpu?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well. thats a good question. Here is my 2 cents:

I think that Intel will start making their next gen moble based cpus in the lga775 format after they have invested all this money in it as of now. I mean they went and developed the form factor, and created a chipset for it, it wouldnt make sense to just abandon it. Plus it has PCIe support which we all know future cards are going to take more advantage of, especally on the 16x slot with the graphics cards. Not to even mention SLI

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
LGA's main purpose in life was to create a new socket with more pins to allow better voltage flow to the new and upcoming line of processors. The increased number of pins also allows more voltage to spread over a larger area.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are the new line of processors going to possess that existing ones don't if Intel are not going to be raising the clock anymore?

Sorry to be sceptical, i can just see some of these technologies going the way that rambus and motherboards without ps2/parallell went....

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
P4's with 64-bit extensions are already available in your neck of the woods (Uk, that is
). 1066 FSB P4's have also been released, as Extreme Editions (extremely overpriced for the minimal performance gain, IMHO). These are the current forward advancements in CPU technology that Intel is offering. Within a year, the move will be made towards dual-core CPU's. All of these things were unachievable in s478, and it is assumed that LGA775 pave the way for further advancements above and beyond these (like 1200 FSB CPU's).

For the time being, LGA775 has offered better power regulation for the Prescott core, as well as better overclocking and cooler operation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts