Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to build my first custom pc.

Things I already purchased...

NZXT Tempest
Rosewill Xtreme 950w
Lite-On DVDRW

Things I am planning on or undecided on...

MSI 770-G45 or Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
Athlon II X4 630 or 635

4gb of DDR3 1333 (Probably G.Skill)

WD Blue 500gb (Need Opinions on this HDD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-073-_-Product

Video Card is still up in the air because I am waiting to see what ATI does with prices once fermi drops...

Please let me know what you all think and feel free to offer suggestions and please provide an explanation as to why you suggest whatever you suggest.(if it is not too much to ask)

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Oh and Windows 7 64

·
Registered
376 Posts
As for your psu....your wattage is fine.
but.....you may have wanted to go for something more stable than a rosewill. Skimping out on a cheap-ish power supply...can mean the death of your computer. But...heck. im using a logisys...so im a hippocrit to the extreme. xD

As for your mobo....I prefer the MSI tech support guys. Gigabyte gave me nothing but problems

your CPU......Go for the 635. Heck, if you can get the extra performance, for future proofing...then take it.

Ram......Im in love with GSKILL ram. I swear by it.
I use 4GB of DDR red gskill in my old comp downstairs.....and of course, 4GB of blue DDR2 RAM in this rig. ;p Clocks really well too...so it can support high overclocks.

A WD has NEVER failed me. So dont switch to a seagate or anything...but thats just MY two cents. 500GB is plenty space...unless your hosting a pr0n server or something weird. ;p haha (y)

waiting on the fermi release....would be a smart move, my friend.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by LightsInTheDark View Post
As for your psu....your wattage is fine.
but.....you may have wanted to go for something more stable than a rosewill. Skimping out on a cheap-ish power supply...can mean the death of your computer. But...heck. im using a logisys...so im a hippocrit to the extreme. xD

As for your mobo....I prefer the MSI tech support guys. Gigabyte gave me nothing but problems

your CPU......Go for the 635. Heck, if you can get the extra performance, for future proofing...then take it.

Ram......Im in love with GSKILL ram. I swear by it.
I use 4GB of DDR red gskill in my old comp downstairs.....and of course, 4GB of blue DDR2 RAM in this rig. ;p Clocks really well too...so it can support high overclocks.

A WD has NEVER failed me. So dont switch to a seagate or anything...but thats just MY two cents. 500GB is plenty space...unless your hosting a pr0n server or something weird. ;p haha (y)

waiting on the fermi release....would be a smart move, my friend.
Thanks. +rep

As far as the Rosewill I did my research on that specific model before buying and it seems legit so I decided to go for it plus I got a heck of a price on it. Hope I don't regret it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by YLDaryl View Post
I would get a WD Black HDD 640GB
5 year vs 3 year warranty
and the 640GB because it only has 2 platters
32MB vs 16MB Cache
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-319-_-Product

I know it costs a little more but it goes on sale a lot.
Will definitely keep an eye on it to see if it comes down a tad in price.

+rep

·
Registered
433 Posts
You should really consider going Intel, they are definitely on top right now. You could go with an I3 or maybe an I5 for just a little more than you would spend on the athlon. Alos the HDD I would definitely go with the WD Black. I would go with either a 320 or 640 GB as they are generally the fastest drives. If budget allows consider a ATI 5770 or 5750 GPU.

I could also say you would not regret it if you waited a little, saved some money and went a little bigger. Maybe and I7, triple channel RAM, decent board, good cooling. You will not be disappointed as these machines are much powerful and generally way more future proof. But I guess it all depends on what you use it for. No need in having a top of the line PC to check e-mail and surf the web. But it's always there if you do need the power. Just a thought.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay333 View Post
You should really consider going Intel, they are definitely on top right now. You could go with an I3 or maybe an I5 for just a little more than you would spend on the athlon. Alos the HDD I would definitely go with the WD Black. I would go with either a 320 or 640 GB as they are generally the fastest drives. If budget allows consider a ATI 5770 or 5750 GPU.

I could also say you would not regret it if you waited a little, saved some money and went a little bigger. Maybe and I7, triple channel RAM, decent board, good cooling. You will not be disappointed as these machines are much powerful and generally way more future proof. But I guess it all depends on what you use it for. No need in having a top of the line PC to check e-mail and surf the web. But it's always there if you do need the power. Just a thought.
Agree with the WD black also....but I should still say you should wait to see what happens to the ATI prices after FERMI release. Save yourself some cash...prehaps enough to make the difference of the next model up. Itl be worth it.

As for intel.....if you're alright with it, go for it, they are on top in most aspects from what I hear...but personally...it's outside my comfort zone.

AMD for life.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clay333 View Post

Yeah Intel definitely is kicking butt but I generally like intel in my laptop. I have a core i3 Asus that destroys my desktop. (in everything but gaming)

However, I just love AMD's bang for buck. An i5 would really eat up money that I could use for a video card.

Oh and I would rather have four physical cores as opposed to four logical cores.

Basically I love intel in my laptops but when it comes to spending money on a desktop I will probably stick with AMD.

Thanks for you suggestion though.

• Rep+
Reactions: LightsInTheDark

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by LightsInTheDark
View Post

+rep for staying AMD.

Don't thank me, thank AMD lol.

AMD has been good to me. It has been the processor in all my desktops.(Just because of the bang for buck thing)

I have had all intel laptops except one AMD and the AMD laptop was not that great performance wise.

·
Registered
376 Posts
actually...same here, if I notice. All my laptops have been intel, except these past two acers Ive bought the past two years.

I just feel more...familiar...and GREEN with the AMDs. Idk...maybe its the boxes that the cpus come in...or SOMETHING.

it just screams out DARK GREEN....and makes me feel safe.

^ that was totally spouted from my ass and makes no sense. point is......amd = win

·
Banned
435 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shev7chenko
View Post

Thanks. +rep

As far as the Rosewill I did my research on that specific model before buying and it seems legit so I decided to go for it plus I got a heck of a price on it. Hope I don't regret it.

Rosewill has a reputation for making the worst products. Hope you have luck...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
agree about the rosewill psu
my 12v rail is only putting out 9.36v
so im going to replace it pretty soon.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drdeath View Post
Rosewill has a reputation for making the worst products. Hope you have luck...
I hope so too...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts