Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for overclocking my PC to reduce the time rendering in 3DS Max, and maybe have a better HD playback for video editing by the way, why not?! The fact is that I need this PC for my job as freelancer in graphic design and I'm scare to do something stupid.
So no PC, no income, no good! And my wife's gonna kill me.

I'm okay concerning hardware stuff (for a designer...) but the Bios is another story. So far, I only touch a couple of thing to make it fully stable @ 2.93Ghz. Wouhaoo.
The goal is reach minimum 3.2Ghz and max 4.2Ghz.
Because it's for rendering, so long period of calculating and algorithm, it has to be 100% stable 24/7. Prima 95 full priority and all this kind of stuff for 24 hours minimum. Yes, I read the guide 10 times but still some question...

About the CPU cooler: (the best I can find in this part of the globe)
- Cooler Master Aquagate Max
- Cooler Master V10 (I like this one and it protect the RAM)
- Your propositions (if I'm lucky enough to find it here)

About the Bios:
My motherboard (rampage II extreme) have a option for different Bios profile, so my theory is: "I keep one profile for safety, I create one for my OC. In this case I can tweakle the CPU and came back on the safe profile to go back to work when I need it to."

About the rest...:
Can I take the setting on somebody else to have a 'root' to start and adjust the setting after manually (following the Guide OC concerning error message in torture test) to it feet on my machine.
Or I have to do it little by little (baby step) to be sure the PC can take the heat (and other unknown kinda stuff) gently to don't hurt him?
And avoid the

Can I check few software if they're okay before launch 24H of torture test. I'm thinking about Premiere Pro CS4 who have a jumpy playback if bad OC (OC by software, not good, but 8h of torture test in Prima 95, all test past).

So thanks the guy who got the courage to read this or worst, answer it!!!
If I can do it, it's

PS: I'm waiting for another 6GB Ram (so 12 totally). The rest is bellow.

·
Banned
3,105 Posts
First, go ahead and read this overview/guide: http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...ing-guide.html

The clock speed of the chip is based on the BCLK and the Multiplier, for example, an i5 750 running at 2.66GHz stock has a BCLK of 133MHz and a multiplier of 20. 133*20 = 2660MHz.

You'll need to adjust your CPU voltage (vcore) and the Integrated Memory Controller voltage (VTT) accordingly to whatever your chip needs. The lower the better.

As for your overclock, I'd try 3.6GHz first, a slight overclock and a sweet spot somewhere in between where you're aiming. Set BCLK to 200, multipler to 18. Set vcore to around 1.1v, and run a few hours of Prime95 or IntelBurnTest to test for stability. If you're happy with temps, go ahead and ramp up that overclock.

That's all from me, hope I helped!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ho yes it help,
thank you Ipwnnubletz.
It sounds good to me.

Like I said, I read the Guide 10 times and keep looking on for what people say about OC the i7 930/920 to 4Ghz.

But some word, some technical explanation sounds like chinese to me sometimes. Just want to check some stuff before start the OC process...

Thanks again and any other kind of advice are welcome.

·

13,000 Posts
Make sure the QPI/VTT voltage is within atleast 0.5v with your Dram voltage.

For eg. 1.15v for QPI volts and 1.65v for your ram. Any more than 0.5v can harm your cpu memory controller.

That's one tip

One more tip is to never go above 85'C load on the cores and socket temps, like when using a stress program like "LinX".

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's very nice guys!!!
Thanks a lot.
I will keep all this tips preciously.

So air cooler like the Cooler Master V10 is enough maybe or not.
And I forgot to say: I need HT On absolutely (for the bucket in Mental Ray, but that's another story).

I have this fish's job to finish for the end of the month (see my Avatar). At that time I will have the time and the money so to buy the CPU cooler and start to OC the beast.

I kind know better how I gonna start the OC process now.
Off course, other tips are still welcome, the more the better.

Best everybody.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Get a nice Cooler first, I prefer Noctua's for the silent but V10 is ok.

Quick and easy:

Go to the bios > Advanced > CPU Configuration, and disable:
  • C1E Support, Intel virtualization, CPU TM Function, Execute Disable Bit, A20M, Speedstep, Turbo mode and C-STATE.
* Anything else auto/leave default.

Back to Extreme Tweaker, let's target to 3.6GHz (21x171) first:
  • DRAM Frequency: 1603MHz (if you have DDR3-1600, choose the closest to your ref freq.)
  • Phase Control: Full
  • Load-Line Calibration: enabled (more stable OC and probably less vcore)
  • Diff. Amplitude: 800mV
  • AI overclock tuner: Manual (let's overclock now)
  • CPU Ratio: 21 (type the number)
  • CPU Voltage: 1.14 v (Starting with low volts)
  • CPU PLL: Auto
  • QPI Voltage: 1.20 v
  • IOH *** : Auto (all)
  • DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.64v
  • "***" Spread Spectrum: disabled (all)
* Anything else auto/leave default.

F10 (Save and exit).

Lower voltage: Better temps and lifespan.
Higher voltage: Higher speed, more stability but worse temps.

You should search for the highest possible speed with the lowest voltage in order to keep your computer healthy, in my case I have 2 profiles: Summer(3.04GHz @ 1.00v) and Winter(3.8GHz @ 1.20v).

I always start with low voltages, run stability test and if BSOD or random crash/freeze, I just put a little more volts and check again. If you are testing the computer and it crashes don't panic.

I'm not an pro OCer btw, hope this helps.

EDIT: Oh, if your first try is stable, you can probably run lower voltages, 3.6GHz @ ~1.12v is my guess, just play with it =DDDD

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OKAY!!!
Thanks a lot Chimera,
For sure I will use that for my 1st try, may the luck be with me to it work directly as well!
In this case, I think that I won't try anything else for a while but let's see...

About Noctua, why not but I have to fly over 500 Km minimum to get one.
And I like the concept to cooling the Ram by the way.
Anyway.

About disable CPU configuration, I did almost all of this already, so it's good (for the confidence).
About the Tweaker, I just change [AUTO] for 21 for the CPU Ratio.
That was the way to have my i7 @ 2,93Ghz HT/on 100% stable 24/7.
Before that, it was jumping all the time between 1,7Ghz to 2,9Ghz. Very convenience for my rendering or HD video editing.

A couple of weeks max normally and I start Overclocking the 3D Design Machine. I give some news at this time and will close up this thread when the beast is OC done.

Thanks a lot everybody,
Best for Overclock.net.

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Chimera View Post
If you are testing the computer and it crashes don't panic.
I keep this one.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by djsi38t View Post
If you make a mistake and your windows won't boot or it gets stuck in a reboot cycle

Power down and hit the clear cmos button to restore your motherboard to factory defaults.
That's nice, will it change something for my windows, software or anything, I guess nope but with PC you never know!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrenchDude94 View Post
That's nice, will it change something for my windows, software or anything, I guess nope but with PC you never know!
Clearing the CMOS is just a hard reset of BIOS settings. I've never had any problem with windows not booting or corrupt files but that was a good advice for sure

Good luck, I was the kind of guy that like things on stock (never touch what already works) and never OC'd before, but now I gotta love tuning my bios for nice overclocks ^^

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again Chamira,

I will target 3.6Ghz (21x171) first as you said, when stable and all, save this Bios profile and go in a new one for 4.2Ghz (21x200). I will use the 'Guide OC' to help during the process and keep posting here about probable future problems.

About the temp, I guess/hope the V10 will make it, at least for a couple of years.

Best.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Are you actually french? If yes I can advise etailers (that would ship to DOM TOM eventually) for CPU cooler.
And and my two cents: get a Thermalright VenomousX for cooler, or a Prolimatech Megahalem

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I'm French, but I live in Laos. It's Between Thailand and China (and other country like Cambodia or Vietnam). I really like it but to find a good CPU cooler it's another story.

Mainly, no website do delivery here (except $DHL$...) and I'm lucky to find my stuff in Thailand already.
The worst is for my graphic card. I have to make a special order and end up to buy it 50$ more expansive than in the US. Sounds crazy when the graphic card is made in China I mean.

But thanks for the tips anyway.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ahah well my etailer knowledge does not extend to Laos unfortunately.
However while reading reviews abt VenomousX, I came across one that was in Thai, and that stated this retailer http://www.jedicool.com/dealer.php as the one providing the reviewed cooler.
Hope that helps in some way..

EDIT: wait wait, did you just give me one rep? that's my first! I'm totally lighting a cigarette and eating a sandwich to celebrate.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi ytz,

Thanks for the links, I keep it in my favorite right away.

It's that what I'm talking about for the 500 km I have to fly over. I live in Vientinane exactly (capital of Lao PDR). For hardware, I can generally go to Udon (Thailand). It's one of the nearest city and they have this shop: Hardware International House, where I bought my rig bellow.

After for the special stuff like this particular CPU Cooler, I have to fly to Bangkok or make a special order (=$$$), not really convenience.
Next time I go to Bangkok, I think I will take a look at all of this...

Best everybody

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rollinsoundzboy View Post
i don't think that cooler will cut it you probably going to need a better HSF. Good luck.
So you think the Cooler Master V10 won't do the job, even for 3.6Ghz - 3.8Ghz?
Should I invest more for watercooling like the Cooler Master Aquagate Max and reach the 4Ghz in peace, why not.
I repeat, it's hard for me to find this kind of stuff here. That's the best I can have before cross 500Km.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by 88EVGAFTW View Post
Check this guide out first before proceeding

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...lassified.html
Thanks, I didn't see your post before actually, so yours rollinsoundzboy, anyway.
I read carefully your thread and put it on my subscribed threads already (will print it for my wall later).

I have by the way some conclusions already about HSF. I think play it safe by watercooling to avoid the temp matter and sleep better at night during the time the PC's rendering : it's like a torture test, and for a week sometimes.
But in this case, my Ram will get hot or not? Do I need a cooling for it?
Hope not!

I'm going next week pick up my RAM (another 6GB) and will order my future CPU cooler by the way. I would like to know before I go what I need exactly to buy.
And my choice is not very flexible...

- Cooler Master Aquagate Max to reach 4.2Ghz
- Cooler Master V10 and stay @ 3.8Ghz max.
- RAM Cooling if I lucky enough to find it around. But if no need I enjoy!

Thanks for reply.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts