Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ITX motherboard with a mini pci-e slot that I want to use with a ATSC HDTV tuner card for OTA TV watching. I see a bunch of Avermedia surplus cards on Ebay for HP. Dell, etc, mostly intended for laptops. Models like the Avermedia A317

I figure that many of these cheap cards will probably work.

Has anyone here used a TV tuner in a pci-e mini slot in a ITX board ?

My board uses a full length pci-e slot

Thanks

·
8.2 liters
5,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerman View Post

I have a ITX motherboard with a mini pci-e slot that I want to use with a ATSC HDTV tuner card for OTA TV watching. I see a bunch of Avermedia surplus cards on Ebay for HP. Dell, etc, mostly intended for laptops. Models like the Avermedia A317

I figure that many of these cheap cards will probably work.

Has anyone here used a TV tuner in a pci-e mini slot in a ITX board ?

My board uses a full length pci-e slot

Thanks
Since no one answers you here, perhaps also try asking in the HTPC subforum http://www.overclock.net/f/237/htpc

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have a bit of experience with the mpcie tv tuners in laptops.

Most of it has been failure though. The main issue I was running into is that these tv tuners are actually locked into the laptops they came from. So, you itx board may not even see the card. I was able to get around alot of that by blocking off pin 20 on the mpcie slot (little tape over contact). But, even then I could never get drivers to install on it. All the drivers I could find were for the laptops that came with the cards, there were no base drivers for the card.

So, keep this in mind, but if your willing to do some modding, you should be able to get somehting working.

·
Registered
800 Posts
hdhomerun would work too.

The other option that you can do is to get a usb tv tuner and hook it up to the internal usb port. Then drill a hole in the back of the case for the antenna output.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts