Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I am seeking general advice, rule of thumbs or any other great advice you can give to a fairly new overclocker.

I am currently using an "overclock friendly" Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 card with a standard boost overclock of 1329 MHz.

I am not talking major overclocking, just to between 1450 and 1500+ MHz (Turbo boosted); where it will drive stable at fairly low temperatures.

What are some Do's and don'ts with overclocking. What is the deal with power target, voltage, Memory overclocking etc. Can I physically break the board by overclocking it or will it simply lower the clock until a stable clock is achieved etc.

It sits in an Corsair AIR 540 case, with the direct cooling capabilities so airflow and cooling abilities shouldn't be the largest problem.

How should one benchmark it and with which tools? (Unigine Heaven/Valley maybe?) If so, for how long?

What are some focal areas for the general overclocking, are there something I should always focus on?

I know it's a lot of questions to ask at one time, however I would like to know how an experienced overclocker thinks when it comes to overclocking.

I know most of the technical terms as I work with electronics for a living, so you don't have to explain it to me like I'm 5
smile.gif

All overclocking advice will of course be carefully placed and under my own observation and supervision.

Best regards,

Kris / Economist for Intel.

·
The Necromancer
2,243 Posts
Just letting you know, The Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming will most likely run at 1404mhz under decent load.

1329mhz is just the "normal clock"

You'll want to be aiming for 1500mhz+

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information
smile.gif

I will update my post ASAP.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know. I purchased the product on the 31st of December 2014, so I hope it's the rev 1.1, however I don't actually know.

·
The Necromancer
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Externality View Post

I don't know. I purchased the product on the 31st of December 2014, so I hope it's the rev 1.1, however I don't actually know.
look on the box, there should be a sticker with the serial number and it should say which revision it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's the 1.1.

·
The Necromancer
2,243 Posts
Do you have GPUZ installed already? if so, show me a screenshot of the graphics card tab, and sensors tab.

Rev 1.1 is an extremely cool running card, with a custom fan profile you can push it to it's current max without worrying about hurting it.

IF you're running SLI, you might want fans on the side of the case if you plan on overclocking though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately I am not currently on the Machine as I am not home, however I will be sending you a screenshot or two ASAP (Soonest Monday GMT+1).

But it sounds very nice, I am not planning to run it in SLI though. I would really like to overclock it without really "hurting" it clearly temperature wise, so I am happy that someone like you will help me out here.

·
The Necromancer
2,243 Posts
Quote:

Unfortunately I am not currently on the Machine as I am not home, however I will be sending you a screenshot or two ASAP (Soonest Monday GMT+1).

But it sounds very nice, I am not planning to run it in SLI though. I would really like to overclock it without really "hurting" it clearly temperature wise, so I am happy that someone like you will help me out here.
I think it's currently impossible to reach dangerous temps on the Rev 1.1.
Even on stock fan profile I was only getting up to 65c when i was absolutely "torturing" the card
when i made a custom profile, it's hard to get the thing to even get passed 61c. thats in benchmarks
in games i'm at about 50-55c.

Interms of picking a card for safe tempuratures and being a new overclocker, you did well.

You should use this thread for referenence.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1514085/official-nvidia-gtx-970-owners-club

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I've heard and read great things about this card from both professionals and collegues so I went for it instead of for example an Asus Strix or an Gainward blowback.

I've seen that there is such as thing as an "owners club"
smile.gif
However how do I join it?

Can I ask your current setup if terms of cooling and overclocking setups (Not that I want to imply them directly to mine). Just as a reference of an "hardcore" overclocked card. Also so I have an comparison to the temps you've given me.

·
The Necromancer
2,243 Posts
Quote:

Well I've heard and read great things about this card from both professionals and collegues so I went for it instead of for example an Asus Strix or an Gainward blowback.

I've seen that there is such as thing as an "owners club"
smile.gif
However how do I join it?

Can I ask your current setup if terms of cooling and overclocking setups (Not that I want to imply them directly to mine). Just as a reference of an "hardcore" overclocked card. Also so I have an comparison to the temps you've given me.
I've got 2 140mm Scythe PWMs taking in air from the side of the case directly at my card.
1 underneath at the bottom of the case as an intake.
and 2 ontop for exhaust.
my cpu is watercooled, the rad is at the front with intake from the outside. I've got the case streamlined to push all the air out the top. I found it the best for my videocard cooling.

My fan profile goes like this.
25% till 40c, then it increases to 50% at 50c, then 70% at 60c then flatline 70% till 80c where i cranked it to 100%,

With this fan profile I never hear the fans. They don't really start to make noise untill about 75-80% and it's still not even annoying at that point.

I max out at 61c in anything now.
You can be expecting between that and 65ish with the card overclocked.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Not much can go wrong, since there are limitations in place to throttle the card when it draws too much power or gets too hot. All you need is MSI Afterburner and you can get started. Even though the G1 cards come with a high TDP, you will usually want to max out the power limit (can be 110-125%). The temp limit of 79 °C isn't a problem, since Maxwell cards are very efficient and with a non-reference cooler you shouldn't see temps above 70 °C. Most of the 970s seem to be voltage locked. The slider will max out at +37 to 87 mV and it can help to stabilize an overclock, but you can't pass the cap if the card is voltage locked.

The stated 1329 MHz boost clock isn't the effective boost clock you will see under load. The latter should be close to 1400 MHz or more, which you can monitor with GPU-Z or check in-game using the Afterburner overlay. You should be able to add another +100 to 150 on the core. I would recommend getting a copy of 3DMark for FireStrike Extreme. The first two tests put a lot of stress on the GPU and I had a lot of success with looping just the first test. Let the card warm up and look for artifacts (things like flashy colorful dots). They should show up fairly soon, after a run or two. Increase the clock if there are none, decrease the clock if there are any. Once you found the highest clock without artifacts it's time to move on to some intense games like Metro, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider or others. It can still fail at this point and you might have to reduce the clock slightly.

Once you have done that, you can repeat the same procedure for the memory clock. Some people downclock the core for that, but I'd rather leave it and try to find the highest memory clock that can go with it, since a higher core clock is usually favored. You should be able to get another 300-500 on the memory. I would start in the upper range and increase/decrease by 25 depending on the result.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info. I just have a little question about power.

What would be the "best" power limit setting for an overclock of about +100 MHz? Or in general a total clock of about 1500 MHz.

I don't know why, but I am afraid I might set it too high. What happens if I set something like the power limit or the voltage too high?

I have the idea as of now to increase the power limit to about 110% and then slowly make my way to a total clock speed of 1500MHz.

Would this be a good idea. Or should I try and increase the clockspeed without touching power limits until I reach areas where an increase in power is neccessary?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Ok not trying to be rude,but it's a graphics card with a warranty and any default setting is not going to hurt your card.
Gigabyte G1 does not need the power limit adjusted if you do not want to.Chances are your card will overclock the same as 95% of the cards out there.
So you can use EVGA precision/MSI Afterburner and try the settings below.Then play some games,if it crashes lower overclock,if it runs good increase overclock if ya want.

http://postimage.org/

·
Registered
891 Posts
Changing the power limit just changes the maximum a card can draw. Increased clocks increase the power consumption. If the power limit is exceeded, the card will throttle the clocks to meet the power target.

A reference 970 has a TDP of 145 W, while it seems to be 250 W for the 970 G1. It's unlikely the card is ever going to need that much, so you can just leave that slider where it is. You can monitor it using Afterburner or GPU-Z, chances are you will see a maximum of 70-80% power usage. Just increase the clocks, you should be fine.

·
The Necromancer
2,243 Posts
Quote:

Here are the two screenshots
smile.gif

GPUz.png 128k .png file
looks like you got the same card as me exactly. Expect it to top out at about 1850ish on the memory.
Don't take that as 100% though because you might end up getting lucky and have hynix memory that can do 2000mhz.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good news so far. I've successfully over clocked the core clock to my primary target of 1500 MHz with a stable temperature at 59 degrees Celsius. This is with your fan setting, so i thank you very much.

Update:

I've now how a steady 1530 MHz at 61 Degrees Celsius. Benched in Unigine Valley and Heaven for several hours with no errors or artifacts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts