Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello.
I'm looking into buying a 27", 1440p, 120/144hz monitor. Currently using a GTX970. I've never used an IPS panel before - just TN and VA. Budget's unlimited.
A few things I'm hoping to improve as I move on from my Samsung S24C750 (VA) which I'm quite happy with:
1. Screen tearing - something I experience quite a lot while playing games such as Overwatch and Battlefield 1.
2. Blur
3. Size/Resolution - I work with large Visio drawings.

While I could play competitive Overwatch for hours, it's not the only thing that concerns me. I'd say I'd rather avoid TN because I'm familiar with the color shift you get from different angles, and the contrast/colors don't feel as natural, and since I play other games and browse the internet, I care about these parameters.

I got to try out the LG 32GK850G (VA). Size was too big for me but the monitor itself wasn't bad. I couldn't really tell the difference between G-Sync ON and OFF (also tried V-Sync ON and OFF in combination). I couldn't see the tearing I see so much with my current setup. Overall, I was really happy with it.

Which leads me to thinking: is G-Sync really worth it? I could really not tell the difference. Or is it ULMB you should really consider when paying the extra $$ for that nVidia board on the monitor?

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,726 Posts
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD7H7BN2597

best image quality.

https://www.amazon.com/PG279Q-2560x1.../dp/B017EVR2VM

really good image quality

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236466

what I have, and it has really good image quality as well.

the major issue with a lot of the 2K monitors, is that the image quality of the screen is poor. to get a good quality image on a 2K monitor it will cost a premium, over the standard $400 price range.

as for tearing the MG279Q is a adaptive sync monitor, I stop tearing by running my games at the settings I like, than I see what kind of frame rates my video card can handle. lets say that the video card gives me 133FPS, but dips down to 90FPS with a lot on the screen, I will set the max FPS in game to 90FPS, and I have no more issues with screen tearing.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I picked up the Nixeus EDG when eBay was having a 15% off sale for $380. Not sure if it was luck or if these all look this way but I didn't get any of the glow issues or bleeding around the edges.
Screen tearing is going to happen if you're using a 970 with some games, even if I dip down to 100fps I really don't notice any tearing.
As for whether g-sync is worth it or not, that's up to you. For me, no it isn't because you can take the saved money and buy a faster GPU. The 10 series especially the 1080 is a 1440p killer imo. My main issue with +$700 g-sync panels is the fact that if you pay that much for one it's really easy to be disappointed with glow and bleed etc. I paid about half as much and didn't get tearing or glow anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I played on a friend's computer, he's got a 144hz BenQ TN monitor w/o adaptive sync. Couldn't really notice any tearing.

What do you think of the MSI Optix MAG27CQ? This one has the Samsung 144hz S-VA panel. I'm looking for less blur.
Also, if going the IPS route, would you go with Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU or Asus PG279Q?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I played on a friend's computer, he's got a 144hz BenQ TN monitor w/o adaptive sync. Couldn't really notice any tearing.

What do you think of the MSI Optix MAG27CQ? This one has the Samsung 144hz S-VA panel. I'm looking for less blur.
Also, if going the IPS route, would you go with Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU or Asus PG279Q?
XB271HU much less BLB.

Gamescom this month will probably release the Acer VG270UP with updated faster panel, and cheaper price than the XB271HU or PG279Q.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Tearing isn't determined by monitor or necessarily by lack of Adaptive/G Sync but by frame rate in relation to the monitor's refresh rate.
You shouldn't really notice it over 100fps but you'll see it's slower than 144FPS. 30, 60, 72, 120, 144fps won't tear either but if you end up between those numbers you might. Actually since upgrading to 144hz I haven't noticed it in any game but all the games I play seem to be very optimized for frame rate. It does still happen at 100fps but it's happening fast enough I guess it's just harder to notice it.

With a 970 and demanding games you'll probably see it, it's totally FPS dependent so if you run into situations where you can't run over 100fps you'll be sure to see it unless you lock it somewhere. Battlefield at 1440p will likely show some tearing at some point if it's not FPS locked. You can probably optimize your settings and maintain 72fps or hopefully much more, these are on ultra:

Many of the ultra settings don't add much depending on your setup, like on 1440p 27" you won't need as much AA as you would at 1080p on the same sized screen. Even though 144hz 1440p is much harder to run than 1080p at 60 or 144hz, it's still the best upgrade I've ever made.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
You could also wait for LM270WQA, expected by the end of the year. It's a 165hz 1440p IPS panel, LG definitively does better products (QC wise) than AU Optronics or Samsung.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You could also wait for LM270WQA, expected by the end of the year. It's a 165hz 1440p IPS panel, LG definitively does better products (QC wise) than AU Optronics or Samsung.
Looking at the alienware ultrawide using LG panel having the same issues as AUO panels, I don't really have high hopes for QC. Might as well spin the lottery already while waiting, it will likely be the same as it has been since 2015.

Maybe by mid 2020's there will be a guaranteed good panel when you buy a premium high refresh rate monitor :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Production of the panel may start in December, not the monitor itself.
Expect additional 2-4 months until products hit the market.

·
Registered
75 Posts
upgrade your gpu first if you want to be able to enjoy this monitor. I guess the cpu will be 3 to 4 gens old aswell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your replies
I'm well aware of LG's upcoming IPS panel, but I don't really want to wait until products actually hit the market. Plus, forgot to mention it, the 32GK850G I had looked good, but it also came with a dead pixel so I'm guessing QC is bad everywhere.
I'm running the factory-OC GTX970 along with an overclocked i7-6700K (reason why I didn't want a next-gen CPU was due to the lack of Win7 drivers support, and I can't stand Win10).
My GPU will certainly be upgraded in the near future.

So here's the deal:
After realizing Amazon will hesitate to refund my future orders should I not be satisfied (overseas shipment), I called some local stores. I asked about the PG279Q and XB271HU's dead pixel policy. No one would get me a replacement for less than 3 dead pixels, so I told them I will not bother purchasing from them, classic pig in a poke situation.
Then, this one store that also seems the be the only one selling the ViewSonic XG2703-GS (as well as the PG279Q and XB271HU) told me I could unbox it at the store and get an immediate replacement for the very first dead pixel. Then we've got BLB and glow to consider, but that's something I'll talk to them about upon arrival.

I've read that as far as the QC lottery goes, PG279Q is the worst, then XB271HU and XG2703-GS are quite the same. Still, showing some interest in the MAG27CQ which they also happen to have.
Would you say going for the XG2703-GS would be the smartest move?
Would

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Thank you all for your replies
I'm well aware of LG's upcoming IPS panel, but I don't really want to wait until products actually hit the market. Plus, forgot to mention it, the 32GK850G I had looked good, but it also came with a dead pixel so I'm guessing QC is bad everywhere.
I'm running the factory-OC GTX970 along with an overclocked i7-6700K (reason why I didn't want a next-gen CPU was due to the lack of Win7 drivers support, and I can't stand Win10).
My GPU will certainly be upgraded in the near future.

So here's the deal:
After realizing Amazon will hesitate to refund my future orders should I not be satisfied (overseas shipment), I called some local stores. I asked about the PG279Q and XB271HU's dead pixel policy. No one would get me a replacement for less than 3 dead pixels, so I told them I will not bother purchasing from them, classic pig in a poke situation.
Then, this one store that also seems the be the only one selling the ViewSonic XG2703-GS (as well as the PG279Q and XB271HU) told me I could unbox it at the store and get an immediate replacement for the very first dead pixel. Then we've got BLB and glow to consider, but that's something I'll talk to them about upon arrival.

I've read that as far as the QC lottery goes, PG279Q is the worst, then XB271HU and XG2703-GS are quite the same. Still, showing some interest in the MAG27CQ which they also happen to have.
Would you say going for the XG2703-GS would be the smartest move?
Would
Yeah might as well go for the XG2703 and see if you can get a decent one. But be quick, it's already discontinued and being replaced with a TN model.

·
Overclocker
11,636 Posts
None. There are no good 27" 1440p 144Hz panels. See my sig for comparison of the only two in existence. (Don't care about TNs if any exist.)

PG279/MG, XB/XF270HU/A, XG2703, FS2735, AOC, Pixio, Nixeus, everyone else almost, all use the same 2015 AUO M270DAN2.x panel, sadly it's often rubbish and finding a good unit is a miracle even if you buy the insanely overpriced Eizo.
Samsung HG70 is even worse, JG70 probably same crap.

Except that's a Dec 2018 at best start of manufacturing = summer of 2019 to be in products in shops if even that :/

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
None. There are no good 27" 1440p 144Hz panels. See my sig for comparison of the only two in existence. (Don't care about TNs if any exist.)

PG279/MG, XB/XF270HU/A, XG2703, FS2735, AOC, Pixio, Nixeus, everyone else almost, all use the same 2015 AUO M270DAN2.x panel, sadly it's often rubbish and finding a good unit is a miracle even if you buy the insanely overpriced Eizo.
Samsung HG70 is even worse, JG70 probably same crap.

Except that's a Dec 2018 at best start of manufacturing = summer of 2019 to be in products in shops if even that :/
Yeah but what can you do? There's nothing else, so might as well keep spinning the lottery while waiting for the LG panel, as long as you have shops with no cost returns :p Good ones with decent white uniformity and no BLB do exist, so if you get lucky the LG panels won't be any better.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
upgrade your gpu first if you want to be able to enjoy this monitor. I guess the cpu will be 3 to 4 gens old aswell.
You can game with a Maxwell GPU and a 3-4 generation old CPU at 1440p just fine.
I only have a 4690k and 1333 ram and have yet to find a game I want to play that I can't enjoy. I haven't even found one I want to play where I wasn't over 144fps, I'm aware there are poorly optimized games out there but that's not the standard I go by.

An overclocked 970 will be fine in most games but more demanding ones will need some compromises on some settings. While not an ideal GPU you can certainly enjoy gaming with it.

OP: You aren't going to find one that's perfect IMO but I got lucky with Nixeus and got it cheap, not sure if spending more would have gotten me a better monitor but since I'm not a panel critic it's great for me. I wish the blacks were deeper but I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Went to the store to try out the one Viewsonic unit they had. 2 stuck green sub pixels on black background. A dead pixel on blue background (which looks slightly larger than the 2 green pixels).
I asked them to turn the lights off, but it wasn't complete darkness so I couldn't really notice any BLB.
Asked them to check if they can get another one for inspection. I guess no one would go for this unit, right?

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
If you liked how it performed and looked I don't see why not. If you get another one with dead pixels just take it back.
You're not going to find a single SKU out there that has never suffered from QC issues such as that. I wouldn't take your sample size of one as a reflection of each one made.
While I love my EDG I'm sure many received duds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went to the store again today. They brought in a new unit. This one has one stuck blue pixel on black background, at the bottom right corner. BLB is okay. Needless to say I picked it up and went home smiling, knowing this is my best chance at playing the lottery with it.
Thanks for the comments, I truly appreciate it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts