Overclock.net banner

Advice needed for custom loop purchase (gain on overclock) 13900KF OC

1352 Views 19 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  fma67
Hi everyone,

As I am not really an expert on watercooling and I don't really want to setup back my old heavy and noisy phase change system I would seek advices on purchasing a custom loop.
(something like an alphacool 1260, D5 pump and an EK wb)

Currently using an AC Freezer 2 420mm mounted out of the case and the 13900KF runs at 5.8 all p cores 4.5 all e cores at around 95° on heavy loads like R23 or prime95. (low loads easily runs at 6.1 single/5.9 all p cores and temps below 90°.

As the cpu is currently running beyond 350W during heavy loads, what can be expected in terms of temps and cooling capacity with something custom/extreme?

Many thanks!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,476 Posts
You are using one of the best AIO on the market and still hit high temps in certain usage scenarios.
Outside of extreme cooling solutions I would not see you drop those temps significantly during your overlock sessions.
Many undervolt these chips and get decent results.
To put things in a perspective : I have the highly unpopular 11900K cooled by Push Pull: EK-CoolStream XE 480 (Quad) | Push EK-CoolStream SE 280 (Slim Dual). Sure, I have the GPU under water as well but in extreme testing with GPU at idle and all restrictions off, I can barely keep the cpu under 90 degrees. For example all core @5.5 GHz I have 93 centigrade with it. I am running two rads with Noise Blocker fans.

• Rep+
Reactions: Ichirou

· Registered
195 Posts
Depends how ridiculous u are willing to go w cooling , most balanced solution I say involves 50-300lbs of water , 250w of delta fans and huge bare copper 2 gauge wire for rad. I have had a 11900 k get up to nearly 800w with this strategy, it is definitely worth having some of these things in, the delta fans alone can add a ton of perf to current setup although they are comically horribly loud. I suggest 5 -55 gallon aluminum drums for water as well try not to use plastic

· Registered
1,714 Posts
Hi everyone,

As I am not really an expert on watercooling and I don't really want to setup back my old heavy and noisy phase change system I would seek advices on purchasing a custom loop.
(something like an alphacool 1260, D5 pump and an EK wb)

Currently using an AC Freezer 2 420mm mounted out of the case and the 13900KF runs at 5.8 all p cores 4.5 all e cores at around 95° on heavy loads like R23 or prime95. (low loads easily runs at 6.1 single/5.9 all p cores and temps below 90°.

As the cpu is currently running beyond 350W during heavy loads, what can be expected in terms of temps and cooling capacity with something custom/extreme?

Many thanks!
You can spend upwards of 1K and MAYBE gain 3-5C and that's a big maybe. I would stick with your AIO and drop the OC a bit. Pushing 300+ watts through these chips is a death sentence unless you don't care if it only lasts a year or so.

• Rep+
Reactions: Ichirou

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My goal was to drop the temp by at least 15° in order to increase the oc with a convenient cooling solution for daily use. (It usually doesn't reach 300w+ during daily tasks)
If we are talking about a 5 degrees gain with these custom loops and big 1000mm+ rads so it makes no sense I guess.
Delidding/direct die would improve temps for free.

The unit is a modest cooler express hydra sli mostly used to cool the cpu 15 years ago.
Cooling a sli of gpu's for daily use was not convenient apart from running benchs.
I did think of building a cascade system by one of my friends at some point but the cpu's I had at that time were already maxed out.

After being far removed from the oc in general, I was also a little bit lost on all these watercooling solutions and the capabilities

Many thanks again for the replies

· Registered
94 Posts
I think Mora 420 would be better than Alpha Cool 1260.
Or...
If there is other space for drainage and ventilation, the chiller can be used by drilling through the wall and connecting the hose.
Then you can lower the temperature a lot without worrying about noise and condensation.
Whatever you do, considering the summer temperature, I think overclockingers who use the best parts these days need air conditioning.

· Registered
552 Posts
I think Mora 420 would be better than Alpha Cool 1260.
Or...
If there is other space for drainage and ventilation, the chiller can be used by drilling through the wall and connecting the hose.
Then you can lower the temperature a lot without worrying about noise and condensation.
Whatever you do, considering the summer temperature, I think overclockingers who use the best parts these days need air conditioning.
+ Yup MO-RA 420 is better then the Alphacool 1260 by a long shot no flux better build quality. Go with the MO-RA if you want to go the external setup route.

· Registered
5,777 Posts
+ Yup MO-RA 420 is better then the Alphacool 1260 by a long shot no flux better build quality. Go with the MO-RA if you want to go the external setup route.
Eh, with an external radiator, you could save a lot of money with a cheap Bykski 1080mm. Better bang for buck.
Might even be able to get two of them for the same price as a MO-RA 420 setup.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After reading few other topics and specially from tps3443. I would rather allocate the budget and go for a chiller with a d5 pump as soon as I will reach the lowest voltages and be sure that it can significantly go up on pcores.
6.0 all pcores also easily runs on non benchs or torture tests and didn't reach 80. So the 13900kf seems to be a correct bin.

Thanks

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
This is what I thought and honestly I don't like the idea of having more rads and fans than cores.

Just found one cheap used 1/2hp chiller . Will order tubing, one pump (would be enough as I only have to cool the cpu) an ek velocity block next week and will see.

Thanks

· Registered
79 Posts
13th and 12th gen need to be either lapped or direct die cooled to get best results to fully unhinge the potential. Problem I think your having is the heat isn't transferring fast enough as the heat the cpu is making. You need to remove that bottleneck in your cooling and if that's not enough Id then move onto the chiller.
Lapping the cpu is safer id try that first.

· Registered
892 Posts
Direct-die mount would be around 77c.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
13th and 12th gen need to be either lapped or direct die cooled to get best results to fully unhinge the potential. Problem I think your having is the heat isn't transferring fast enough as the heat the cpu is making. You need to remove that bottleneck in your cooling and if that's not enough Id then move onto the chiller.
Lapping the cpu is safer id try that first.

I bought the used chiller few days ago and waiting for the tubing, pump and waterblock. It will give more space to see how far this 13900 can go before purchasing the direct die kit.
It requires 1.39v at 5.8 so it's clearly not a golden chip in addition to the fact that I still can't figure out why it doesn't run it's e-cores beyond 4.5.

I already did a light lapping on the ihs/LF2 block right after unboxing both so I don't know the gain on temps.

It will be pretty much the same as I will go straight forward from a LF2 420 AIO to a chiller, ek wb, re-lapping and liquid metal.

In any case this LF2 did well considering the cheap price and the fact that it could keep 350w below 100°.

· Registered
195 Posts
My goal was to drop the temp by at least 15° in order to increase the oc with a convenient cooling solution for daily use. (It usually doesn't reach 300w+ during daily tasks)
If we are talking about a 5 degrees gain with these custom loops and big 1000mm+ rads so it makes no sense I guess.
Delidding/direct die would improve temps for free.

The unit is a modest cooler express hydra sli mostly used to cool the cpu 15 years ago.
Cooling a sli of gpu's for daily use was not convenient apart from running benchs.
I did think of building a cascade system by one of my friends at some point but the cpu's I had at that time were already maxed out.

After being far removed from the oc in general, I was also a little bit lost on all these watercooling solutions and the capabilities

Many thanks again for the replies
maybe just add more rad, a 5 gallon aluminum / copper drum is actually really good, loop it to outside or even can just use thick copper wire going outside

1 - 20 of 20 Posts