Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a GPU for only playing fighting games. Like the new street fighter 5 and other old and new fighting games. And some racing games only. This build will only be setup up as a arcade without a cabinet. So far got the Dell U2713HM on a arm stand on a Shelving unit. Also will be using the parts i already have.

CPU: i5 3570K
MB: ASUS P8H77-I or Maximus V Gene
RAM: HyperX FURY 8GB 1866MHz or Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 1866MHz

need to get a PSU and GPU. the i5 3570K is in my HTPC right now. Will buy another ivy bridge i5 cpu and put that in the HTPC. Since i have two ASUS P8H77-I motherboards. Looking for a cheap card to run them games in 1440p. Will not be playing any other kind of games on it at all.

·
Registered
692 Posts
your 970 is the perfect candidate imo.

• Rep+
Reactions: FlyingSolo

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i was thinking about that. But am gonna sell that card and add that towards the new GPU coming out. Since i can get somewhere around £200 now i think.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Honestly, for 1440p I'm not sure how much lower than a 970 you'd really want to go. Sure Street Fighter and games like that won't make full use of the card, but depending on the racing games you're looking to play, you might regret it if you try to cheap out too much. If you really want to pick up a new card, though, you might look at an r9 380. I really wouldn't go any lower than that for 1440p though.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you guys say. I should just put the 970 there then. Will be playing racing games like outrun 2006 and stuff like that. Also project cars. But mainly will be playing fighting games and old arcade games on it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
project cars bring my 970 to its knees, even @ 1080p. Well.. atleast with rainy / stormy weather anyway. So I agree with Sorphius up there.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Well there's a MASSIVE difference between playing Outrun 2006 at 1440p and playing Project Cars at 1440p. A GTX 950 would probably handle Outrun fully maxxed without any issues, but Project Cars can be a hog if you let it.

In order to give you a good answer we really need to know not just the games you plan on playing, but also the settings that you want to run those games on. You can get away with spending a lot less money if you are okay playing at the lowest settings with 30fps.

·
486DX2 66
3,769 Posts
I think swapping in the 970 and saving the money you were going to use for your main rig upgrade makes the most sense since you'll take a loss selling the 970. For 1440P performance I would be "comfortable" with and have a bit of room for newer games I would either use a GTX 970 or R9-390. This is if keeping 60FPS and using high-ultra settings is important to you, especially project cars.

• Rep+

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciferxy View Post

project cars bring my 970 to its knees, even @ 1080p. Well.. atleast with rainy / stormy weather anyway. So I agree with Sorphius up there.
^^

I've got a 980ti and play at 1440p, and Project Cars pushes it to the brink when I turn everything up.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guy's i think i'll just put the 970 there then. And move that card there. But say if i don't play project cars on that rig. What other cards do you guys think will be ok. Just want to get a idea.

·
486DX2 66
3,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSolo View Post

Thanks guy's i think i'll just put the 970 there then. And move that card there. But say if i don't play project cars on that rig. What other cards do you guys think will be ok. Just want to get a idea.
Less high end games like project cars, you could go as low as a used 7950/7970 for $90-120 up to r9-290/390 honestly. They will all run 1440P @ 60FPS just fine as long as you're not trying to push extremely demanding games.

• Rep+

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:

But say if i don't play project cars on that rig. What other cards do you guys think will be ok. Just want to get a idea.
For Street Fighter 5, you'll probably still want the equivalent of a 960 or 380.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Don View Post

Less high end games like project cars, you could go as low as a used 7950/7970 for $90-120 up to r9-290/390 honestly. They will all run 1440P @ 60FPS just fine as long as you're not trying to push extremely demanding games.
Thanks. If i can find a 7950 or 7970 for cheap i'll probably go ahead with that. Or do you think its not worth it and just keep the 970. I can probably get a 7950 or 7970 used for around £100 or less.

·
486DX2 66
3,769 Posts
Quote:

Thanks. If i can find a 7950 or 7970 for cheap i'll probably go ahead with that. Or do you think its not worth it and just keep the 970. I can probably get a 7950 or 7970 used for around £100 or less.
well, 970 is superior to a 7970 by quite a way as well as using ~100W less power. On the other hand, a new 970 costs approximately 3x as much as a single 7950 does. For the older games, the 7950 will run 1440P no problems, I've recently been playing Borderlands 2 at 2560x1440 on a slightly overclocked XFX 7950 DD and it stays at 60 FPS quite well, but high end games like Project Cars, GTA:V, The Witcher 3 really bog the beast down, especially with anti-aliasing on. As long as high end games or 'ultra' settings aren't important, grab the 7970 and overclock it assuming you want to save the most money, that's my vote.

On the other hand if you're looking to sell the 970 you have, make sure you can recover a good amount for it.. if it comes down to selling at a big discount from what you paid, I would probably just keep it and forget the 7970.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Don View Post

well, 970 is superior to a 7970 by quite a way as well as using ~100W less power. On the other hand, a new 970 costs approximately 3x as much as a single 7950 does. For the older games, the 7950 will run 1440P no problems, I've recently been playing Borderlands 2 at 2560x1440 on a slightly overclocked XFX 7950 DD and it stays at 60 FPS quite well, but high end games like Project Cars, GTA:V, The Witcher 3 really bog the beast down, especially with anti-aliasing on. As long as high end games or 'ultra' settings aren't important, grab the 7970 and overclock it assuming you want to save the most money, that's my vote.

On the other hand if you're looking to sell the 970 you have, make sure you can recover a good amount for it.. if it comes down to selling at a big discount from what you paid, I would probably just keep it and forget the 7970.
Thanks. I Guess i'll look for a 7970. If i find one for cheap i'll get one. Or i'll just keep that 970 i have now and put that there once the new cards come out. Thanks all.

·
486DX2 66
3,769 Posts
Quote:

Thanks. I Guess i'll look for a 7970. If i find one for cheap i'll get one. Or i'll just keep that 970 i have now and put that there once the new cards come out. Thanks all.
Sounds good. Oh and thanks for the rep, You gave me my second flame after almost 6 long years
sad-smiley-002.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts