Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Im building a new computer, I have made one in the past (just an i3, HD7770 card, 4GB, nothing special, no overclocking or anything). I would like to make another one which is future proof. I love the idea of 2x 3GB 7970 or a 1x 6GB 7970. Then the 7990 is out but I dont know what to choose.

Keep in mind that I would like to play on my 40" LED TV at 1920 * 1080. I would like to play ALL the games @ 1920*1080 with EVERYTHING maxxed. Even AA and all the DX11 stuff. Which HD card would suit me if thats the case? CF or a Single card with a dual GPU?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymanibousi View Post

Hi

Im building a new computer, I have made one in the past (just an i3, HD7770 card, 4GB, nothing special, no overclocking or anything). I would like to make another one which is future proof. I love the idea of 2x 3GB 7970 or a 1x 6GB 7970. Then the 7990 is out but I dont know what to choose.

Keep in mind that I would like to play on my 40" LED TV at 1920 * 1080. I would like to play ALL the games @ 1920*1080 with EVERYTHING maxxed. Even AA and all the DX11 stuff. Which HD card would suit me if thats the case? CF or a Single card with a dual GPU?

Thank you for your help.
I'm pretty sure there is no single card that can max EVERY game at 1080P, but the 7970 OCed might get close.

·
Eh, Wha?
9,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryude View Post

I'm pretty sure there is no single card that can max EVERY game at 1080P, but the 7970 OCed might get close.
*cough* Titan *cough*

Oh wait... you said AMD? yeah... well there's always the Devil 13.

• Rep+
Reactions: aymanibousi

·
Premium Member
11,034 Posts

·
Optics Fiend
4,856 Posts
Reference 7970 flash to Ghz Bios or just overclock.

• Rep+
Reactions: aymanibousi

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ah. I don't like fps btw. so games like the new tombraider and batman arkham city. re6 for pc. etc etc. what bout the 7970 6ghz?

·
Premium Member
11,034 Posts
Quote:

ah. I don't like fps btw. so games like the new tombraider and batman arkham city. re6 for pc. etc etc. what bout the 7970 6ghz?
the HD 7970 Ghz 6GB is a waste of money. 3GB is more than enough for any single monitor resolution like 1080p or 1440p. fill in the config of your new build.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1258253/how-to-put-your-rig-in-your-sig

get a single HD 7970 Ghz 3 GB. which country are you from ?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

the HD 7970 Ghz 6GB is a waste of money. 3GB is more than enough for any single monitor resolution like 1080p or 1440p. fill in the config of your new build.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1258253/how-to-put-your-rig-in-your-sig

get a single HD 7970 Ghz 3 GB. which country are you from ?
New Zealand, reason why im thinking of CF or even 6GB is because I want to play at everything maximum (Even AA). Leaning towards a 7970 6GB so I can CF later in future. What do you guys think? thank you for all your help though, +Rep for everyone
smile.gif
keep the comments coming.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Quote:

New Zealand, reason why im thinking of CF or even 6GB is because I want to play at everything maximum (Even AA). Leaning towards a 7970 6GB so I can CF later in future. What do you guys think? thank you for all your help though, +Rep for everyone
smile.gif
You'll struggle to get another matching in the future! They're hard enough to come by now yet alone in a few months when they aren't mainstream anymore. I'd suggest sticking to something "normal" such as a Sapphire 7970 or a 7950 and grab another later. Probably a 7970 if you can afford it but if you want to go all out now just get 2x 7950's as they'll perform a lot better then a single 7970 at any clock. As others have said one card is a lot less hassle..

The Titan is in no way worth the price premium.. Might as well get 3x GTX 670's..

·
Old school gamer
1,889 Posts
Currently the only game to really push a card hard is Crysis. That means if you are not a FPS fan then you could use a 7950 and get pretty much every none FPS game at 1080 maxed. As for future proofing, the entire concept is a myth. Technology when it moves, moves to fast to predict and so there is no such thing as future proofing.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-Matt View Post

You'll struggle to get another matching in the future! They're hard enough to come by now yet alone in a few months when they aren't mainstream anymore. I'd suggest sticking to something "normal" such as a Sapphire 7970 or a 7950 and grab another later. Probably a 7970 if you can afford it but if you want to go all out now just get 2x 7950's as they'll perform a lot better then a single 7970 at any clock. As others have said one card is a lot less hassle..

The Titan is in no way worth the price premium.. Might as well get 3x GTX 670's..
Thank you, please keep in mindd that I do not want Nvidia
smile.gif

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Quote:

Thank you, please keep in mindd that I do not want Nvidia
smile.gif
Yeah I know, I understand how you feel. I don't want a dirty nVidia card ruining my system
tongue.gif

I'd go with 2x 7950's from a price/performance ratio, hence why I run that myself
smile.gif

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 7970 Overclocked to only 1125mhz and i can run everything I play maximum settings on my 1080p 50 inch tv. I personally would buy just one 7970 3gb with a decent cooler to start with and try it out. If you're not happy with that, then you can buy another one to crossfire it with. I'm now have a new 1440p monitor and still have no problems maxing out all of my games. Starting with just one card could save you a lot of cash. I don't expect to need a new card for at least another year ( hoping that the new consoles will push the envelope in games/graphics development). Sure I'd love another 7970, but don't think it would make any difference on my basic setup. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
single card OC and maybe with watercooling or some other hybrid solution.
7970 is a beast and runs at 1200mhz oc 5040x1050 set up just fine.

crossfire/sli should be avoided as microstuttering is an issue with multi gpu cards.

·
Premium Member
11,034 Posts
Quote:

smile.gif
OP the 6GB is not required unless you are looking at triple monitor eyefinity with 2560 x 1440 monitors. so get a HD 7950 or HD 7970. for value for money the HD 7950 is unbeatable. at the same clocks HD 7970 is 5% faster than HD 7950 but costs 100 bucks more.

the Sapphire HD 7950 Flex OC with boost with the dual x cooler is a good option. voltage unlocked. for 500 NZD its an excellent card. card is 29 cm long. so make sure your case can fit it.

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=VGASAP7954&name=Sapphire-FLEX-HD7950-3G-GDDR5-PCI-E-DL-DVI-I+SL-DV
http://www.elive.co.nz/sapphire-hd7950-3gb-video-card-DV06543.php

if you want the HD 7970 get the sapphire HD 7970 OC.

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=VGASAP7973&name=Sapphire-HD7970-3G-OC-Version-PCI-E-3.0-Dual-fan-V

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow thanks alot. so to clarify. the 6gig won't help with anti alising as much as as the 3gig version. Im still deciding about single or crossfire. will let u know when I decide

1 - 17 of 17 Posts