Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'd like to start by saying this is not for me, for I know better when setting up a sound system in my room. In any case, a friend of mine was upset that I decided to use my extra receiver for our home theater rather then give it to him to use in his room. In his displeasure, he stopped by best buy and bought a receiver on a whim. Now I told him you basically don't buy anything like that from a storefront, I can guarantee him we can get something cheaper and better online. Nevertheless, he picked up this Pioneer VSX 517-K.

He currently has a couple decent floor speakers (unfortunately I don't remember the model, but they are substantial). He's picking up some subwoofer from his uncle, I have no clue what kind or how powerful it is. Our issue is that he wants to run this system out of his computer. The cheap sound card we got him when we built the computer a couple years ago really doesn't seem to work very well with it, as we have to plug into the headphone jack. He wants to get a digital output after we set up the home theater and he learned that I knew what I was talking about, so now I need some opinions on a cheap but decent soundcard that would maximize the potential of this receiver. I'm thinking somewhere under $50, any suggestions?

·
Retired Enthusiast
3,405 Posts
if it is mainly for movies and such.... for below $50..... X-Fi Xtreme Audio?

MAN! now i'm starting to look like a fanboy

seriously, guys.... any other suggestion?

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts

·
Retired Enthusiast
3,405 Posts
ahhh... thx chip...
forgot about that card along time ago

yes that card is a good performer too!

all you need to do is to bypass all the sound processing to the reciever, and you're set!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! thanks a ton guys for the suggestions. I sent my buddy the link, I imagine we'll order it this afternoon

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
I have an extra digital Coax IC for creative cards if you need

1 - 7 of 7 Posts