Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...

Im looking for a new case, but Im having a hard time finding one that meets the specs I want, that doesnt have something about I dont like...so maybe someone can help.

I want to spend between $75-175 USD(give or take).

Mid-Tower or Full,(prefer mid)

Air Cooled...

At least the following fans ports, 1 x 80mm or larger side intake, 2 x 80mm or larger front intake, and at least 1 x 120mm rear exhuast(or 2 x 80mm/92mm)... top exhaust would be nice too

Aluminum construction would be nice, but not necessary.
Durability however is...I bought a rather 'tinny' $30 powmax case,...the only thing good about it is that it had all the ports I wanted and due to its cheapness, I didnt mind cutting and drilling into it to mod.

Oh ...and no plastic front panel/door thingies...if it has a door, its gotta be nice polished or brushed aluminum.

And though not necessary, removable mobo tray would be nice

Also need a new PSU, was wondering...I know while normally, the freebie, get-with-chassis PSU's are viewed as junk, however does this hold true were I to buy something like an Antec Case? I mean, I trust their PSU's by themselves...why not with a case? Ya' think they put lower quality ones in with their cases? Or are get-with-chassis PSU's ok if made by good company?

As much rep as I got to give and much appreciation for some insight.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Well I can't think of a stock case that would mee your requirements--but you could always mod one for fans--

I recently built a quiet PC with an Antec Sonata case and am using the true power that came with it--no high-end viddy card to feed so it's okay--some how I doubt the POS PSU that comes with the cases (even antec) can handle all those fans and a highend card (and multiple drives, lights, etc)

The Coolmax I am using has been fine for a water-cooled setup--2 SATA HDDs, 1 IDE HDD, 2 DVD burners, Viddy card ( on the juice), SB Audigy 2 (ditto), 3 LED fans 80, 80, 120, 2 cold cathodes--OCed and over-volted at 4 gig and running a 12VDC pump on top of all that--the rails are tight and fat and the single 3 speed 140mm fan is nice and quiet even on high.

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
Also need a new PSU, was wondering...I know while normally, the freebie,
Quote:

get-with-chassis PSU's are viewed as junk, however does this hold true were I to buy something like an Antec Case? I mean, I trust their PSU's by themselves...why not with a case? Ya' think they put lower quality ones in with their cases? Or are get-with-chassis PSU's ok if made by good company?

That's not altogether true Colorsit makes very nice cases with good PSUs for less than your price range

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet thx for the heads up...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PROBN4LYFE

Also need a new PSU, was wondering...I know while normally, the freebie,
That's not altogether true Colorsit makes very nice cases with good PSUs for less than your price range

I beg to differ I got one of the Colorsit combo cases that came with the mouse and keyboard and even cheap speakers, the case is alright but the powersupply died after about 2 months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts