Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm going to be buying my first gaming PC soon, and I am hoping to buy one that can continue to run the newest games at the highest settings for as long as possible. That's the aim anyway.

The system I have in mind is:

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard
Memory Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel
Processor Cooler Titan TTC-NK85TZ Fenrir CPU Cooler
Other Arctic Silver 5 heatsink compound professionally hand installed by our technicians
Optical Drive LG CH08LS10 8x Blu-Ray Reader/16x DVD±RW - Black
Graphics Card 2GB ATI RADEONâ„¢ HD 5970 PCI EXPRESS
Case Antec 902 Nine Hundred Two Ultimate Gaming Case - Black
Processor Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz D0 Stepping overclocked to 4.00GHz!
Power Supply Corsair TX 750W ATX SLI Compliant Power Supply
Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM
Warranty 1 Year Onsite Collect & Return Warranty
Sound Card 7.1 High Definition OnBoard Sound Card

The thing is I want to be able to crossfire 2 2GB ATI Radeon HD 5970's at some far off point in future when the 5970's can no longer run the most demanding games.
I can only see one problem with the rig above which is that I'd probably need a 1200W fan instead of the 750W, at least I think that's right.

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a package from overlockers uk. What would be the advantage of the ATCS 840?, improved cooling?...

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
You want a power supply that lists at least 4 6-pin PCI-E plugs in its specifications. If you don't have that, you won't be able to run two 5970s.

Also, I seem to recall hearing bad things about overclockers.co.uk. Is that where you're buying from? It was overclock.co.uk, not overclockers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

4 6-pin PCI-E plugs

OK thanks a lot for that, will that be an expensive upgrade do you think?...

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
It's hard to estimate without knowing their prices, but I would be surprised to see it put the PSU price up by more than 50%. After checking the price, yeah, the price goes from 94 pounds to 119 pounds when you upgrade from a 750 to a 950 watt Corsair TX. Do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant
View Post

It's hard to estimate without knowing their prices, but I would be surprised to see it put the PSU price up by more than 50%.

That's good news
, so other than the HSF and the case it should be as future proof as you can be?...

That case is geourous by the way!, I'm just reading the reviews now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by grossebeaver
View Post

Since it's a pretty standard build why not build it your self, and save a bunch of cash? You already have a decent list of parts =)

I have absolutely no experience with building computers and I just don't feel confident enough to try. I would probably end up ruining something along the way so it would probably cost the same in the end. PLUS, I want to keep my hair on my head (probably pull all mine out in the bulding process), PLUS my brain and retinas would be fried, leaving me in a vegative state making me unable to play games PLUS I can have it sooner if I buy it pre-built and overclocked professionally.

Right, off I go on the hunt for that little lot. I'm so looking forward to getting it I feel like a kid!. Thank you VERY much for all of your advice I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
It's not difficult at all to build a computer. My very first computer build was my sig rid and I loved it. You'll also save some money too

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by @live
View Post

I have absolutely no experience with building computers and I just don't feel confident enough to try. I would probably end up ruining something along the way so it would probably cost the same in the end. PLUS, I want to keep my hair on my head (probably pull all mine out in the bulding process), PLUS my brain and retinas would be fried, leaving me in a vegative state making me unable to play games PLUS I can have it sooner if I buy it pre-built and overclocked professionally.

Right, off I go on the hunt for that little lot. I'm so looking forward to getting it I feel like a kid!. Thank you VERY much for all of your advice I really appreciate it.

The process of assembling it is a lot less nerve racking than what you described. Plus as you assemble your rig, you'll learn about the machine which makes troubleshooting and upgrading a much easier/cheaper task.

Once you get everything assembled I think you'll be very glad that you didn't pay someone to do it for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am getting tempted now, really tempted. I will add everything I listed to my basket at overlockers uk (assuming that's the best place for components?) and see what that comes too, depending on the saving I might give it a go.
I do need to learn everything step by step. I'm the kind of person who usually has to take everything apart just to see how it works, so I'd be willing to bet I'd enjoy it.
I will need to find a good step by step guide though, I don't know if there's one on the forum, I only found this site today so I haven't had the chance to have a good look around yet. If I don't post again, assume I found the guide and it was too complicated and my head exploded!.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Do not use or request arctic silver 5 on your CPU. get IC 7 diamond thermal paste. It is in the top 3(if not the best) thermal paste out there. also, do u wanna use aircooling? I would suggest the prolimatech megahalems(yes,t hat's it whole name, kinda silly) for your CPU heatsink.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard
Memory Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel
Other Arctic Silver 5 heatsink (Couldn't find a price for prolimatech megahalems yet)
Graphics Card 2GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5970 PCI EXPRESS
Case Coolermaster ATCS 840 Classic
Processor Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz D0 Stepping overclocked to 4.00GHz!
Akasa AK-P120FG 1200W Xtreme
Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM
Prolimatech Mega Shadow Performance CPU Cooler (Socket AM2/775/1156/1366)
Windows 64-bit Premium Home edition

That all comes to £1,627.38
(I already have an LG Blu ray drive)

Is that everything I would need?...I'm assuming I'd need tools and some overclocking gear?...I will look around I the site for everything I swear I just haven't had a chance yet, at the moment I'm just seeing if it's a lot more economical to build it myself or if it's only a small amount extra for me to get it made for me and professionally overclocked for my first time.

And at a far later date if I added another ATI Radeon 5970, it would all fit in nicely with no other modifications nescesary?...Although by the sound of it I may get addicted to modifying and tweaking and never be able to stop. Do they have an Overclockers Anonymous?...

·
Registered
608 Posts
For your cooler, if you want to stay future proof

and are willing to pay maybe a little bit extra
Get the Corsair H50
Get a Full Tower Case
Get Lower-latency ram
Get the Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB hard drive it has read and write speeds <100MB+
and maybe a 64GB SSD for Boot

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TerminatorXT
View Post

For your cooler, if you want to stay future proof

and are willing to pay maybe a little bit extra
Get the Corsair H50
Get a Full Tower Case
Get Lower-latency ram
Get the Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB hard drive it has read and write speeds <100MB+
and maybe a 64GB SSD for Boot

So the Corsair H50 not the Prolimatech?
And the Kingston or Corsair Extreme x64 SSD?...
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB hard drive,
And the Corsair Dominator GT RAM maybe?...

If I build it I can afford the higher specifications

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by itzhoovEr
View Post

Where are you going to order from? Get rid of that HSF and maybe change the case to a ATCS 840.

LOL wut? The titan Fenrir is among one of the best air coolers, and for 60 shipped, with a fan, its a steal.

Depending on fan setup, etc, it beats the TRUE, and trades blows with the megahalems.

Too many fanboy's in here who think TRUE and Megatron are the only air coolers worth mentioning.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtwizzle
View Post

LOL wut? The titan Fenrir is among one of the best air coolers, and for 60 shipped, with a fan, its a steal.

Depending on fan setup, etc, it beats the TRUE, and trades blows with the megahalems.

Too many fanboy's in here who think TRUE and Megatron are the only air coolers worth mentioning.

don't get a hemroid there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts