Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so looking for some advice from people much more knowledgeable than me about this stuff!

Making a new PC build, won't list out everything but essentially am keen on using the In Win 909 case which I've seen is quite infamous for not having a great airflow (but its looks are certainly enchanting!)

I'm not looking to overclock, at least not initially, and will be utilising some form of closed loop on my CPU (likely Corsair H115i), so essentially just want some input on my plan for fans/airflow and to see if it's the right idea essentially.

So to steal that image from In Win themselves, the yellow patches are obviously fan locations. The plan is to put the H115i at the very back on exhaust with 4 140mm intake fans on the front/bottom, for this I'm looking at the Antec TwoCool (but if there are any other suggestions let me know as the TwoCool seems kinda hard to find in Australia). I'm unsure if the fan in the centre is necessary but as I am lacking in exhaust fans and the awkward design perhaps it would be for the best to utilise it anyway?

I'm not looking to do this but out of pure curiosity would it be a really bad idea to have a closed loop GPU cooler in the centre spot on exhaust blowing air onto the CPU radiator also in exhaust?

·
Premium Member
27,141 Posts
doh.gif
Front fan mounts behind a solid panel??
doh.gif

Do they have any knowledge or understanding of the concept of airflow and how it works?

Even the back panel venting is for looks, not function.
buttkick.gif

That "Thing" is all about looks with almost no function. Sure it might be a 'work of art' to the eyes, but it is near worthless as a case.
If you want a functional case look elsewhere, because that one is just not going to work .. not without serious modifications .. meaning cutting vent opening into it.

If you have to go water cooling, don't waste your money on the H115i. Spend a little more and get a real water cooling like the Swiftech H240 X2 or if you want even better looks H240 X2 Prestige. Even the H240 X looks better than H115i Swiftech has them on sale for $119.95. Swiftech uses copper radiators, a pump that actually has lots of reserve perfromance for adding more radiator an water blocks if you want to expand, components that can be replaced if the ever wear out as compared to throw-away CLC with a cheap high fin per inch aluminum radiator and pump that is so weak it uses less power than many good fans do.

You might find 'Ways to Better Cooling' linked in my sig helpful. 1st post is index, click on topic to see it.

• Rep+
Reactions: Killua Zoldyck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

doh.gif
Front fan mounts behind a solid panel??
doh.gif

Do they have any knowledge or understanding of the concept of airflow and how it works?

Even the back panel venting is for looks, not function.
buttkick.gif

That "Thing" is all about looks with almost no function. Sure it might be a 'work of art' to the eyes, but it is near worthless as a case.
If you want a functional case look elsewhere, because that one is just not going to work .. not without serious modifications .. meaning cutting vent opening into it.

If you have to go water cooling, don't waste your money on the H115i. Spend a little more and get a real water cooling like the Swiftech H240 X2 or if you want even better looks H240 X2 Prestige. Even the H240 X looks better than H115i Swiftech has them on sale for $119.95. Swiftech uses copper radiators, a pump that actually has lots of reserve perfromance for adding more radiator an water blocks if you want to expand, components that can be replaced if the ever wear out as compared to throw-away CLC with a cheap high fin per inch aluminum radiator and pump that is so weak it uses less power than many good fans do.

You might find 'Ways to Better Cooling' linked in my sig helpful. 1st post is index, click on topic to see it.
Yeah I realise it's sub-optimal and have read as much on other forums (although none have burnt it in a way such as you
tongue.gif
). However as I said I'm not really interested in seriously overclocking so hoping it's fine if I invest in a decent liquid cooler for the CPU. I was looking at the Swiftech but it's $300AUD (about 220usd?) for the prestige atm, but if I can catch it for less I'll certainly buy it. However if I were to go with this case would I have the right idea with the fan positioning at the very least?

Oh and does the Prestige offer anything over the normal?

·
Premium Member
27,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killua Zoldyck View Post

Yeah I realise it's sub-optimal and have read as much on other forums (although none have burnt it in a way such as you
tongue.gif
). However as I said I'm not really interested in seriously overclocking so hoping it's fine if I invest in a decent liquid cooler for the CPU. I was looking at the Swiftech but it's $300AUD (about 220usd?) for the prestige atm, but if I can catch it for less I'll certainly buy it. However if I were to go with this case would I have the right idea with the fan positioning at the very least?

Oh and does the Prestige offer anything over the normal?
I have a low tolerance for so called 'experts' who use no common sense.
mad.gif

I would put the radiator in back exhausting out the back.

The Prestige has better fans and better looking fittings. That's about all.

The original H220 X (not new X2) is basically same unit, just not as nice looking. Still looks much better than H110, etc.

I would post a side by side comparison chart, but OCN is erroring out when I try and post it. No idea what the problem is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

I have a low tolerance for so called 'experts' who use no common sense.
mad.gif

I would put the radiator in back exhausting out the back.

The Prestige has better fans and better looking fittings. That's about all.

The original H220 X (not new X2) is basically same unit, just not as nice looking. Still looks much better than H110, etc.

I would post a side by side comparison chart, but OCN is erroring out when I try and post it. No idea what the problem is.
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35392/phanteks-enthoo-evolv-atx-tempered-glass-satin-black

Just popped up and whilst it doesn't look /as/ good is a lot cheaper and seems to have a much better distribution of fan mount points, would you think its a much better move to go with it?

Will definitely get one of the Swiftech products I reckon.

With that said having the front and top effectively blocked by the chassis wouldn't help...

·
Premium Member
27,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killua Zoldyck View Post

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35392/phanteks-enthoo-evolv-atx-tempered-glass-satin-black

Just popped up and whilst it doesn't look /as/ good is a lot cheaper and seems to have a much better distribution of fan mount points, would you think its a much better move to go with it?

Will definitely get one of the Swiftech products I reckon.

With that said having the front and top effectively blocked by the chassis wouldn't help...
It is and it does. I have the normal non-glass version and like it a lot. I also have Enthoo Luxe and while Evolv looks a little better the Luxe flows air better.

As far as I know Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Edition is only available in Australia and maybe the Far East. It's release was announce a about a week ago.

If you are interested in Phanteks cases, check out this thread.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1418637/official-case-phanteks-case-club-for-lovers-owners/0_20

• Rep+
Reactions: Killua Zoldyck

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,213 Posts
The restriction of the front and top of the Evolv ATX is not nearly as bad as people assume. The airflow is pretty average. And it is a fantastic looking case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts