Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

About time to update my SigRig. I plan on keeping my monitors, keyboard, mouse, etc.

This is a gaming PC.

Trying to go with a smaller, quieter case than my current FT-02. That thing can sound like a freight train. Yes I am an Asus/Silverstone fanboy:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rzrbnQ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rzrbnQ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($344.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen MAX 97.2 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.45 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($173.99 @ Directron)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX Video Card ($678.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone FT05B ATX Mid Tower Case ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Platinum 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($124.75 @ OutletPC)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1896.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-30 13:53 EDT-0400

·
Senior OCN Member
39,862 Posts
First off you dont need a 750 watt PSU unless you are going to add a second video card.
And second the PSU you picked is not all that great and its way overpriced as well.

You would be better off with one of the semi modular Cooler Master V units or one of the new Corsair SFX units instead.
And Platinum does not make it better if you are not already aware.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

First off you dont need a 750 watt PSU unless you are going to add a second video card.
And second the PSU you picked is not all that great and its way overpriced as well.

You would be better off with one of the semi modular Cooler Master V units or one of the new Corsair SFX units instead.
And Platinum does not make it better if you are not already aware.
Yeah I know 750 is overkill. Left the room incase I SLI later.

I will check out the Corsair modular ones. Thanks.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,862 Posts
The Corsair SFX units only come in 450 and 600 watts.
If the case has room for a full size ATX PSU you are better off with either a Corsair RMx or an EVGA SuperNova G2 both are better and cheaper then the SilverStone you picked.

• Rep+
Reactions: Furore

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

If the case has room for a full size ATX PSU you are better off with either a Corsair RMx or an EVGA SuperNova G2 both are better and cheaper then the SilverStone you picked.
Thanks I will check out the Corsair one.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

600 Watts should cover my system right?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furore View Post

Quote:

Looks like it should even with overclocks, I would pay the extra 20-30 dollars for the 850 still, or even something higher for crossfire in the future. You wouldn't have enough power for an SLI with the 750 when factoring fans and overclocks I think.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Crossfire-Warranty-220-G2-0850-XR/dp/B00IKDETOC/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1462053624&sr=1-1&keywords=EVGA+SuperNOVA+850

·
Senior OCN Member
39,862 Posts
Quote:

600 watts is more then enough unless you are going to add a second video card.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOwlHootHoot View Post

Looks like it should even with overclocks, I would pay the extra 20-30 dollars for the 850 still, or even something higher for crossfire in the future. You wouldn't have enough power for an SLI with the 750 when factoring fans and overclocks I think.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Crossfire-Warranty-220-G2-0850-XR/dp/B00IKDETOC/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1462053624&sr=1-1&keywords=EVGA+SuperNOVA+850
You are wrong even 750 watt is more then enough for a two way video card setup.

Modern hardware uses far less power then you think it does and even the most high end system with OC on everything a full liquid setup and a buch of drives and fans dont draw more then 350-400 watts at most and thats the extreme end of things.

More common and down to earth systems draw about 250-300 watts at most.

Add another card and the max you would be looking at is 600 watts and often much less.
So 750 watts is more then enough and more wattage is just overkill and a waste of money unless you are going to BIOS volt mod your video cards.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

600 watts is more then enough unless you are going to add a second video card.

Modern hardware uses far less power then you think it does and even the most high end system with OC on everything a full liquid setup and a buch of drives and fans dont draw more then 350-400 watts at most and thats the extreme end of things.

More common and down to earth systems draw about 250-300 watts at most.

Add another card and the max you would be looking at is 600 watts and often much less.
So 750 watts is more then enough and more wattage is just overkill and a waste of money unless you are going to BIOS volt mod your video cards.
Yeah parts picker said 487w. I figured 600min 750 max, but you are right. I will probably not SLI just keep the one card. I will BIOS o/c, so 600 is probably the sweet spot.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

More common anbd down to earth systems draw about 250-300 watts at most.

The fact that an estimated wattage usage is 730 with SLI 980ti is enough for me to setup to an 850 PSU. I do use a BIOS volt mod for the video card, and pull more than 250, so you are right on that end. I would highly recommend "wasting" 20-30 dollars than rather be wrong when the time comes where you have to sell off your PSU and lose more money in the end.

Unless he already owns the PSU there is no reason for him not to spend a small amount more to future proof for SLI just because it may barely make the cut using full power.

What is he wants to add more ram, 4-5 case fans, that's pushing a estimated over 750W. I'm not a power drawing expert, but that is enough to persuade me.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,862 Posts
Quote:

Yeah parts picker said 487w. I figured 600min 750 max, but you are right. I will probably not SLI just keep the one card. I will BIOS o/c, so 600 is probably the sweet spot.
Forget about what part picker tells as its wrong and total bugus misinfomation.
Quote:

The fact that an estimated wattage usage is 730 with SLI 980ti is enough for me to setup to an 850 PSU. I do use a BIOS volt mod for the video card, and pull more than 250, so you are right on that end. I would highly recommend "wasting" 20-30 dollars than rather be wrong when the time comes where you have to sell off your PSU and lose more money in the end.

Unless he already owns the PSU there is no reason for him not to spend a small amount more to future proof for SLI just because it may barely make the cut using full power.

What is he wants to add more ram, 4-5 case fans, that's pushing a estimated over 750W. I'm not a power drawing expert, but that is enough to persuade me.
There is a story behind all of this and why the info you get from calculators and sites are total misinfomation which i could tell if you want to know or you can just take my word for it if you want to keep it short.

Point is if you are never going to get a second video card or BIOS volt mod it all you really need is good 550 watt PSU.

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
Not sure why anyone would try to argue against Shilka.....

Just for giggles i ran SLI GTX 570's, and an i7 2600k all overclocked on a 650W before. Mind you the GTX 570's were large chips. Basically like running SLI GTX 980Ti's on a 650W now-adays.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
866 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

Forget about what part picker tells as its wrong and total bugus misinfomation.
Quote:

There is a story behind all of this and why the info you get from calculators and sites are total misinfomation which i could tell if you want to know or you can just take my word for it if you want to keep it short.

Point is if you are never going to get a second video card or BIOS volt mod it all you really need is good 550 watt PSU.
Well I know my card pulls between 250-320W (estimated high could be more around 300), which is brings the watts to 500-600 just for the GPUs. Are you confident that if that were the case that the rest of his system, lets say 4 fans included, would not surpass 150-200W?

Not really trying to argue, just wanting to know why I think my system pulls more than it may.

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
Quote:

Well I know my card pulls between 250-320W (estimated high could be more around 300), which is brings the watts to 500-600 just for the GPUs. Are you confident that if that were the case that the rest of his system, lets say 4 fans included, would not surpass 150-200W?

Not really trying to argue, just wanting to know why I think my system pulls more than it may.
If you are REALLY interested in finding out what your card draws. Get an external GPU dock, like the Razer Core, and throw a kill-a-watt on it. Or request it on these forums. You might find the results surprising.

·
Senior OCN Member
39,862 Posts
A fan draws about 2-3 watts so unless you have 10 or more its not going to add much if anything to the overall draw.
Quote:

What you should do is get a kill a watt and see how much your system draws.
Just remember to take the efficiency of your PSU off the numbers you get from the wall.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Updated with the Corsair 650RMX

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.45 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($173.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)

·
Senior OCN Member
39,862 Posts
Quote:

Updated with the Corsair 650RMX

Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
The Gigabyte Windforce cooler you get on their video cards is better then cooler Asus has on their cards.
So if you dont mind the extra length take a look at the Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming or Extreme cards instead.

And unless you are an audio geek or something you really dont need to buy a stand alone sound card as the motherboard has one built in.
Also you are aware that there will be new video cards out in about 4 weeks right? the GTX 980 Ti wil be replaced so getting a new video card now is not a good idea if you can wait.

Edit: the HDD you picked are the cheapest drives you can get so the quality is also going to be lower then say a WD Red or Black.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

The Gigabyte Windforce cooler you get on their video cards is better then cooler Asus has on their cards.
So if you dont mind the extra length take a look at the Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming or Extreme cards instead.

And unless you are an audio geek or something you really dont need to buy a stand alone sound card as the motherboard has one built in.
Also you are aware that there will be new video cards out in about 4 weeks right? the GTX 980 Ti wil be replaced so getting a new video card now is not a good idea if you can wait.
I just prefer the Asus ones. I have had great results from them in the past. Personal preference.

I might just pull the plug on the 980ti once the new ones are released.. They price might drop a bit.

Good call on the sound card. I will just use the one on the motherboard.

·
Living life! Twice IfIHv2
3,459 Posts
Quote:

I just prefer the Asus ones. I have had great results from them in the past. Personal preference.

I might just pull the plug on the 980ti once the new ones are released.. They price might drop a bit.

Good call on the sound card. I will just use the one on the motherboard.
I prefer ASUS as well. What they are saying about the wattage is true unless your overvolting. My cpu is at 5.0 and both 980s at 1500 though they could go higher. My gaming rig pulls ~650 maxed out benching. Thats verified with a killawatt and adjusted for efficiency. Based on that I did decide to go with an 850 just to have some extra room as I dont like running things at or near max output so i guess it boils down to a personal decision since unless benchmarking is your fun, you will not hit that power draw playing games and doing the average things most do with their machines. I do also recommend the EVGA G2 Shilka mentioned.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Final check before purchase. Opted for the Noctua instead.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YKTKP6
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YKTKP6/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($347.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($72.65 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($5.93 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($195.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX Video Card ($669.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.59 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit)
Total: $1941.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-01 16:20 EDT-0400

1 - 20 of 35 Posts