Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a PD945 to replace my 805 (805 was running really hot and I couldn't get it past 3.6Ghz without running over 60C). I have the 945 running at 4.25 Ghz right now and the full load temperature is around 62C (dual prime95) and vcore at 1.375. <br />
<br />
I'm wondering what other people have done with similar 900 series pd's and what kind of clocks and temps I should be expecting. Also, what is the max safe 24/7 temp for the chip and what is the highest safe vcore on air (Arctic Freezer 7 pro)?

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
Your HSF is fairly decent, so I'd say check the air-flow in your case, I have a PD945 also and I've overclocked it to 4.51ghz and temps didn't get higher than 43c, but I'm using a Tuniq Tower 120 and a Full-Tower case with plenty of air-flow inside the case. <br />
<br />
Did you put Artic Silver 5 in your CPU? I did.

·
Registered
226 Posts
i would sudjest a liquid cooling system, i got this one, <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835106078" target="_blank">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835106078</a> it lowered my pentium d 950 my 10c idle and 8 load, my mobo temp is down 10c as well becase there is less hot air circulating in my case, i also swiched to water cooling on my video cards as well, so there is almost no hot air being moved around

·
Registered
72 Posts
i have also got a 805, its currently running @4ghz and have been thinking to upgrading to a 945 or 950. although i am happy with the 805 i want more, and i want to be able to get more out of my ram, needing a lower multiplyer. im very close to getting one of these new CPU's but on one side, is it worth the money for the performance difference, can i overclock it as much as i have overclocked mine. and is it not jsut worth getting a new mobo and c2d. my 805 rusn at around 33degrees idle and 40degrees on load, heat isnt really a problem for me so do you think i will be able to get over 4ghz with a 945 or 950?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>nicemates</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">i have also got a 805, its currently running @4ghz and have been thinking to upgrading to a 945 or 950. although i am happy with the 805 i want more, and i want to be able to get more out of my ram, needing a lower multiplyer. im very close to getting one of these new CPU's but on one side, is it worth the money for the performance difference, can i overclock it as much as i have overclocked mine. and is it not jsut worth getting a new mobo and c2d. my 805 rusn at around 33degrees idle and 40degrees on load, heat isnt really a problem for me so do you think i will be able to get over 4ghz with a 945 or 950?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Well I was stuck at 3.5 Ghz with my 805 due to temperature/air cooling. I upgraded to the 945 since It was onsale for 180CAN$ in my local shop. I have it running at 4.25 Ghz right now on stock volts with air cooling so I figure if you use a water setup you should expect big things. Another thing is processor will give you a higher fsb than on the 805 at the same clockspeed.<br><br>
Dont bother paying the extra $$ for the 950 unless you like to use virtual operatings systems on your comp.

·
Registered
72 Posts
awesome, well it looks like i may have broken my 805, ive had to run it default to get it to boot into windows and my temps have gone up by 15degrees:S really not sure whats happening but it truely isnt happy, gunna price up a few thigns but looks like i need to do something expensive

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>patjeffe</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic"> Also, what is the max safe 24/7 temp for the chip and what is the highest safe vcore on air (Arctic Freezer 7 pro)?</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>Check your stepping with CPUz.<br />
<br />
The C1 stepping should not go over approx 1.3 on air and no more than 55c max load for 24/7 operations.<br />
<br />
the D0 stepping can go to 1.325 on air and also should be under 55c for 24/7 operation.<br />
<br />
<br />
Note, these are guidlines for reasonably safe operation for more long term life of the CPU. If you plan to replace the CPU in less than 2 years, higher voltage may be used, however, the thermal limit never changes, especially as you use more voltage. Intel states the max recomended temp for that CPU is 63.4c, this is for a stock CPU that is not at 100% load 24/7. For a overclocked CPU of that type, 55c is the max safe temp, and 50c would be ideal. <br />
<br />
At the voltage you are running, and the temps, that CPU is being rapidly degraded. Luckily, while the Freezer Pro is a nice little heatsink, you have pleanty of room to upgrade without going water, unless you want to. the Noctua NH-U12 is a very good cooler, especially with 2 high powered fans. The Tuniq Tower is very good as well but hard to come by until they fix the manufacturing machine. The Scythe MINE, Infinity, or even Ninja are high end coolers with customizable fan options.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts