Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Thermaltake tower 900 amd ryzen 9
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i wonder if any of you watercooling enthusiasts out there could help me with some advice i have 2 of the mentioned pump/reservoir combos and would like to run the 2 of them in the same loop e.g. to cool cpu and gpu blocks plus radiators etc,its a kind of fall back safety thing i like to do with using 2 pumps not so much to increase the flow or anything but as these are pwm controlled pumps im just not convinced about the 2 pumps running at different speeds etc,any advice on this would be greatly appreciated,ive done this before just not with pwm pumps thats all.
Hopefully someone on here can advise me on how to go about this.

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
Why would they run at different speeds? Install them into your loop then run both at the same RPM's Use the PWM control on your MB/Fan controller to set the speeds

• Rep+
Reactions: GMdoghunter

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have 2 EK D5 pumps and right now I have 1 unplugged but still in the loop. I have 2 of 5 radiators hooked up because they haven’t released a waterblock for my GPU yet. Like Shawn said, if they are PWM the flow should be the same, but even if you unplugged a pump it would not matter. Water will still flow through it. I’ve even hooked up my pumps incorrectly and had them pumping against each other for a full day and nothing bad happened. Clearly 1 pump was outperforming the other because water still flowed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a ddc3.2 pump and a d5 in my loop now, with them both running I get 8.3 l/h and if I unplug the ddc pump I get 5l/h

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
I have a ddc3.2 pump and a d5 in my loop now, with them both running I get 8.3 l/h and if I unplug the ddc pump I get 5l/h
8 litres per hour is 0.0044 us liquid gallon / minute. Considering the bare minimum is 0.5GPM your a bit under that amount.
That low of flow should be criminal. You need to check *** is wrong with your loop.

That is the worst flow I’ve ever seen reported

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
Oops I meant l/m
Thanks that makes more sense.

So by that math 8LPM = 2.1GPM. What flow meter are you using? Likely reporting a high rate then you’re getting but much better numbers then before

·
Registered
132 Posts
It’s a barrow, I think it would be interesting to cross check it with a different flow meter

·
WaterCooler
4,224 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: Sir Beregond

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the messages regarding the running of 2 pumps together excellent feedback

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why would they run at different speeds? Install them into your loop then run both at the same RPM's Use the PWM control on your MB/Fan controller to set the speeds
Thanks for the reply i will take your advice on this thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have 2 EK D5 pumps and right now I have 1 unplugged but still in the loop. I have 2 of 5 radiators hooked up because they haven’t released a waterblock for my GPU yet. Like Shawn said, if they are PWM the flow should be the same, but even if you unplugged a pump it would not matter. Water will still flow through it. I’ve even hooked up my pumps incorrectly and had them pumping against each other for a full day and nothing bad happened. Clearly 1 pump was outperforming the other because water still flowed.
Thank you very much for the information

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Another thing: if you are using soft tubing, make sure there is at least 1 radiator or cpu/gpu block between the 2 pumps. Otherwise the combined suction from the pumps will flatten the tubing behind them. It takes a few weeks or months for this to happen after the tubing starts to lose its brand new rigidity.

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
Another thing: if you are using soft tubing, make sure there is at least 1 radiator or cpu/gpu block between the 2 pumps. Otherwise the combined suction from the pumps will flatten the tubing behind them. It takes a few weeks or months for this to happen after the tubing starts to lose its brand new rigidity.
Never had this happen before. What tubing was it you used?

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
Duraclear
That's EK for you. I ran pair of MCP35x2's directly of each other with no issues. Mayhems tubing. EK's tubing is crap like most of their products.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
That's EK for you. I ran pair of MCP35x2's directly of each other with no issues. Mayhems tubing. EK's tubing is crap like most of their products.
Their products are hit and miss. Pumps are definitely a hit. I have some EPDM tubing I’m going to install after my poorly machined Optimus CPU block is replaced.

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
Their products are hit and miss. Pumps are definitely a hit. I have some EPDM tubing I’m going to install after my poorly machined Optimus CPU block is replaced.
Pumps are just rebranded so kinda hard to miss on that, least the D5's. Dual pump top isn't bad either. How do you mean poorly machined?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Pumps are just rebranded so kinda hard to miss on that, least the D5's. Dual pump top isn't bad either. How do you mean poorly machined?
The Optimus 1/4 in fittings do not screw into the block. It’s too tight. I can’t force them in without galling the steel and generating metal flakes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts