1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently built a system with the following spec's:

i7 2600k (Is stable in prime 95)
Asus Z68-v Pro/GEN3
8GB of G skill 1600mhz of dual Ram. (in fastest slots).
Gs800 PSU
intel HD 3000 GPU (GTX 570 has not arrived yet)
HDD with OS is a old 40 GB Sata 1 or 2 i had lying around (i will buy an SSD and storage drive over the weekend).

internet explorer is very slow upon opening and upon startup i usual have to wait a long while before i can click or use anything. upon multi tasking pc sometimes freezes for two sec's or so then continues and also using the inter is not very smooth at all. In Internet explorer search bars are duplicated upon start-up for a while
I am wondering what you guys may think is the problem and could maybe explain why the pc may be acting slow at times? i think that the HDD plays a part but i am not entirely sure. i have Virgin Media internet 10 Meg package and at times the internet is unbearable and slow as well.

Thank you for reading looking forward to the replies.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Your hard drive is most likely your problem since a 40gb hard drive is probably not fast enough to handle windows 7. A solid state drive should more than help your slow loading speeds. Also I have 2mb verizon dsl package and it is fine.

·
High End Potato
926 Posts
Try MSconfig in your run bar under the start menu and deselecting the programs that you do not need to start with the computer. That would the be the easy way to start managing your apps upon start up. 2nd, get a respectable HDD for your computer. Either boot with the SSD or get a decent SATA 2 Drive.

The reply stated above is exactly why, try looking at your HDD space usage and look to see how much your windows installation took and see how much you have left.

I assume you bought mostly new parts are you running an old windows or Windows 7? If I am not mistaken I am pretty sure windows alone will out grow your HDD space and you will not be in good shape. Especially with SP1.

On my computer with windows 7 Pro, that is a fresh install and updates from last November installed. Total size on disk is 18.6 GB (for reference.)

·
High End Potato
926 Posts
Go for a 128Gb model SSD Sata 2 if you can and ditch the 40gb. All that thing is going to do is cause you headaches. If you want use it as storage but all together I would either get one massive drive at least a 500gb Black Caviar, or a SSD 128GB and wait to get a decent storage drive.

The reason I would say 128GB is a couple games and windows will hit 100GB quick. Especially over time with more updates for windows and games release you will max it out fast. It will leave you a little headroom when you uninstall games for new games and you can pair it up with a 500GB later when you have the cash(if so applies). My other desktop has 56gb of windows data after disk cleanup.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadLink View Post

Go for a 128Gb model SSD Sata 2 if you can and ditch the 40gb. All that thing is going to do is cause you headaches. If you want use it as storage but all together I would either get one massive drive at least a 500gb Black Caviar, or a SSD 128GB and wait to get a decent storage drive.
The reason I would say 128GB is a couple games and windows will hit 100GB quick. Especially over time with more updates for windows and games release you will max it out fast. It will leave you a little headroom when you uninstall games for new games and you can pair it up with a 500GB later when you have the cash(if so applies). My other desktop has 56gb of windows data after disk cleanup.
People actually update windows?

And as for the 40gig drive, not only is it old and slow, if it's more than 50% full seek times start going up dramatically.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the replies, yes i am running windows 7 ultimate as that is the version i purchased. i will see to it i purchase a SSD over the week end, Btw is the Crucial M4 128GB model SSD any good?

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts