Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm a student at a University and i'm trying to build a server that can run Windows R2 datacenter, SharePoint, and MS SQL for research based purposes (i'm doing an independent study over the summer, i can answer more questions if you guys really care)

i basically need a server that can handle a lot of processing power...i've been pretty knowledgable with hardware on the client-side machines but I have no idea how to make a server....Let me know what you guys think of this.

Here's a list of the programs that I intend to be at least glancing at in the research project (The 2012 Beta Microsoft products will be on another partition)

Also...what Power supply should I get to adequately power all of this hardware.

CASE - COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

hard drives / cd drives -
OCZ RevoDrive 3 series RVD3-FHPX4-120G PCI-E 120GB PCI-Express 2.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
HITACHI H3IK40003254SP 4TB 5400 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM

MOTHERBOARD -
TYAN S8230GM4NR-LE Extended ATX Server Motherboard Dual Socket G34 AMD SR5670 DDR3 1333

POWER SUPPLY (Is this good enough?)
HP 578322-B21 1200W 1200W Common Slot High Efficiency Platinum Hot Plug Power Supply

Wintec 128gb ram(8GB sticks) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ECC Registered Server Memory Model 3RSH160011R5H-32GQ

Processors - (32 cores total on the server)
AMD Opteron 6272 Interlagos 2.1GHz Socket G34 115W 16-Core Server Processor OS6272WKTGGGUWOF

CASE(Is this enough?)
COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

COOLING FANS -
2x G.SKILL FTB-3500C5-D Fans
Antec BIGBOY200 200mm Case Fan
2x Noctua NH-U9DO A3 AMD Opteron, 4 Dual Heat-pipe SSO Bearing Quiet CPU Cooler

TOTAL COST - $4128.81

This is a BIG investment for my research so i'd like to get some good input from you guys
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
How many users will be on this at any time? Are you planning on running Hyper-V with VMs or doing it all from base OS? What about redundancy? I only see 1 SSD and 1 storage drive. Only running MSSQL and Sharepoint doesn't seem like you need that kind of power, unless you're running it for 1000+ users...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herkalurk View Post

How many users will be on this at any time? Are you planning on running Hyper-V with VMs or doing it all from base OS? What about redundancy? I only see 1 SSD and 1 storage drive. Only running MSSQL and Sharepoint doesn't seem like you need that kind of power, unless you're running it for 1000+ users...
I agree, no drive redudancy is asking for trouble.

And unless you plan to do heavy virtualization then the hardware you picked is way overkill. It will also suck a fair bit of power...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Seems like heavy overkill for a uni project.

Get a good quadcore, 8-16gb ram, raid controller and do a raid 5 or something. All my research servers were on a P4 with 320GB sata in raid 1 or 0 depending, or a AMD athlonx2 with those drives raided again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts