Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be building a Xeon W3530 tower for a client within the next several weeks, and I may be building myself one in the somewhat near future(within 6 months).

The client wants an all around strong system for under $1200. Something that can game moderately well, play full HD videos well, just a general computer. They will also be using it for Programming and Photo/Video Editing. They also have their heart set on a Xeon setup, and I have tried to persuade them otherwise to no avail.

And im looking for the same although ill be doing light overclocking to around 3.5Ghz and some casual gaming. I will be upgrading the video card to a 470 and going SLI in the future.

Here is what I have so far:

CPU: Xeon W3530 (ill have an AM cooler, client doesnt need one)
GPU: XFX GTS 250
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth X58
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 6GB (3 x 2 GB)
HDD: WD Caviar Black 500GB, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache
Case: CM Haf 922 Or Storm Scout
PSU: Havent decided but it wont be needing anything bigger than an 850W.
Monitor: Hanns-G 23"
Optical: Probably a Samsung S233
Mouse: Logitech Performance Mouse MX
Keyboard: Sidewinder X6

Anyone Able to shave about $200 from this anywhere without loosing too much performance? Preferably not from the mouse/keyboard area seeing as im somewhat attached to those 2 products?

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Usually for another $10, you can pick up a GTX 260 in place of that 250.

850w is absolutely overkill, even if you plan on SLI'ing GTX 260's.

Even though I have a WD Black 1TB, I would steer you in the direction of a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB drive. Same quality (if not better) at a lower price.

·
Probably sleep deprived
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitsoldier
View Post

Usually for another $10, you can pick up a GTX 260 in place of that 250.

850w is absolutely overkill, even if you plan on SLI'ing GTX 260's.

Even though I have a WD Black 1TB, I would steer you in the direction of a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB drive. Same quality (if not better) at a lower price.

I may be going 470SLI in the future. Thats why im thinking an 850W for myself. For him im thinking an Antec Truepower 650W.
And iv'e had great results with the F3s that I have installed in other computers. But a 500GB Drive is more than enough for him. Im just looking for ways to cut some costs right now. Either by changing brands or parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts