Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I am a PC gamer last year I got a laptop to game on as I needed to be on the move.

Now I am trying to build my setup, for that I need a monitor. I have key requirements (not very sure if all is needed):

1-1440P (2560x1440)

2-144HZ (I guess even 120Hz is fine for me)

3-29 inch and more. EDIT : 27INCH

4-curved. EDIT: non curved

5-covers the sRGB (am not sure about this all i need is to game on the colors that the developers intended me to game on).

6-Good view angels as i watch movies and TV shows as well.

My setup is:

Asus G752VS

6700HQ

GTX1070

16GB RAM

BENQ T221W monitor 1680 x 1050 @65HZ

Devastator 3 keyboard and mouse

Creative Labs 2.1 speakers (planning to get Creative Labs Katana)

HyperX Cloud Revolver S headphone

My favorite games are:

1-World of Tanks.

2-Ghost Recon Wild Lands.

3-Total War: Attila.

4-Cities Skylines.

5- Hearts of Iron 4.

6-Forza.

The below picture shows my currents setup:

ViewSonic VX3258-2KC-MHD 32" 1440p 1800R Curved 144Hz 1440p
https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX3258-2KC-MHD-FreeSync-Monitor-DisplayPort/dp/B07B8DXNDZ

I found this monitor to buy but i didn't find any info in the color accuracy.

Sorry for the long story, I wanna buy a monitor but I do not know what to look for.

What are the main specs I have to look at when buying a monitor?

Do you guys recommend a monitor that fits my need as a gamer? as I wanna experience 1440P and 144HZ at a reasonable size

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,029 Posts
I think you would be better off with a 27" at 1440p. 32inch is a bit large for a 1440p. Also you can't really get good viewing angles with a curved screen. Unless you are sitting right in front of it.

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
The 29"+ is where you'll run into problems with selection, especially in your price range. You'll have better luck at 27" (which I'd recommend for most gamers over a 29"+ display unless they only play 'AAA' adventure games and such). I wouldn't bother with curved either, as you're not looking at ultrawides. I recommend stretching your budget $30 for this guy: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DGR-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0

You get 1440p, 144Hz, Gsync, and ULMB when you want it. It's a TN panel with fewer QC issues so you won't be playing panel roulette in the same way as you would with the AUO 1440p 144Hz panel that is the standard IPS-type 1440p 144Hz panel on the market. Viewing angles... again, it's a TN panel, but it shouldn't really be an issue unless you watch films and television at very bizarre angles. Pickings are slim in this price range. Pixio and Nixeus have the other contenders, but with Pixio you really need to pay extra to get a 'Pixel Perfect' version, and in both cases you're playing the AUO panel lottery and you're getting VESA Adaptive Sync and FreeSync respectively, neither of which will help your Nvidia gaming experience. Gsync would be very helpful for you running 1440p 144Hz with a 1070.

Just my thoughts, good luck picking a winner.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you would be better off with a 27" at 1440p. 32inch is a bit large for a 1440p. Also you can't really get good viewing angles with a curved screen. Unless you are sitting right in front of it.
If it is better on my current budget to get 27 inch. I really don't mind, i was thinking that 29 inch will give more immersive experience. If the curve is bad for viewing angles then i want non curved as i like to watch movies on my pc.

Thanks mate 🙂

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 29"+ is where you'll run into problems with selection, especially in your price range. You'll have better luck at 27" (which I'd recommend for most gamers over a 29"+ display unless they only play 'AAA' adventure games and such). I wouldn't bother with curved either, as you're not looking at ultrawides. I recommend stretching your budget $30 for this guy: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DGR-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0

You get 1440p, 144Hz, Gsync, and ULMB when you want it. It's a TN panel with fewer QC issues so you won't be playing panel roulette in the same way as you would with the AUO 1440p 144Hz panel that is the standard IPS-type 1440p 144Hz panel on the market. Viewing angles... again, it's a TN panel, but it shouldn't really be an issue unless you watch films and television at very bizarre angles. Pickings are slim in this price range. Pixio and Nixeus have the other contenders, but with Pixio you really need to pay extra to get a 'Pixel Perfect' version, and in both cases you're playing the AUO panel lottery and you're getting VESA Adaptive Sync and FreeSync respectively, neither of which will help your Nvidia gaming experience. Gsync would be very helpful for you running 1440p 144Hz with a 1070.

Just my thoughts, good luck picking a winner.
Thanks for your valuable input. Now i have some more questions:

1- does bigger monitor size gives more immersion? Like from 27 inch to 29 inch and beyond.

2-does g sync really matter? I have it on my laptop display i didn't notice the difference. Is it a must as it increase the monitor price substantially.

3- Ips panels are better on terms of colours, is there a TN panel that have great colours and viewing angles?

Thanks and sorry as am noob in monitors

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
Thanks for your valuable input. Now i have some more questions:

1- does bigger monitor size gives more immersion? Like from 27 inch to 29 inch and beyond.

2-does g sync really matter? I have it on my laptop display i didn't notice the difference. Is it a must as it increase the monitor price substantially.

3- Ips panels are better on terms of colours, is there a TN panel that have great colours and viewing angles?

Thanks and sorry as am noob in monitors
1. It can, but not between 27' and 29'. You'd be looking at a 34"-plus which at 1440p are prohibitively expensive relative to your intended budget. On a personal level, I went from 32" to 27" recently and don't have any immersion issues - 27" a couple of feet a way is quite engrossing.

2. Yes. On a laptop it's minimal as it's effectively a VESA Adaptive Sync implementation on lower-powered hardware compared to full-on desktop Gsync which is a concerted effort between Nvidia and display manufacturers and involves an incredible amount of QC. A 1070 will not push 144 FPS at 1440p at all times in many modern games. Gsync will smooth the experience out to make FPS shifts largely imperceptible. If you can get it on a display in your budget, go for it IMO.

3. IPS are generally better on colours, but for gaming and films TN can come quite close. IPS is superior in terms of things like editing but for content consumption TN can still produce a vibrant palette. Viewing angles will always be the weakness of the TN display, but for the majority of viewing instances you'd have to go out of your way to suffer from it on a nice modern TN design like the Dell. If you're sitting in front of the display, I wouldn't sweat the viewing angles. I'd say that Dell is the strongest all-around display for your hardware. My second pick for you would be the Nixeus EDG: https://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-27-Inch-FreeSync-Certified-Range/dp/B071G6PGP7 . Unfortunately, it's a Freesync display so no adaptive sync with an Nvidia card, and it's the same AUO 1440p 144hz panel that's basically universal in this segment so you'll be playing a bit of lottery even though Nixeus QC is rather good.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. It can, but not between 27' and 29'. You'd be looking at a 34"-plus which at 1440p are prohibitively expensive relative to your intended budget. On a personal level, I went from 32" to 27" recently and don't have any immersion issues - 27" a couple of feet a way is quite engrossing.

2. Yes. On a laptop it's minimal as it's effectively a VESA Adaptive Sync implementation on lower-powered hardware compared to full-on desktop Gsync which is a concerted effort between Nvidia and display manufacturers and involves an incredible amount of QC. A 1070 will not push 144 FPS at 1440p at all times in many modern games. Gsync will smooth the experience out to make FPS shifts largely imperceptible. If you can get it on a display in your budget, go for it IMO.

3. IPS are generally better on colours, but for gaming and films TN can come quite close. IPS is superior in terms of things like editing but for content consumption TN can still produce a vibrant palette. Viewing angles will always be the weakness of the TN display, but for the majority of viewing instances you'd have to go out of your way to suffer from it on a nice modern TN design like the Dell. If you're sitting in front of the display, I wouldn't sweat the viewing angles. I'd say that Dell is the strongest all-around display for your hardware. My second pick for you would be the Nixeus EDG: https://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-27-Inch-FreeSync-Certified-Range/dp/B071G6PGP7 . Unfortunately, it's a Freesync display so no adaptive sync with an Nvidia card, and it's the same AUO 1440p 144hz panel that's basically universal in this segment so you'll be playing a bit of lottery even though Nixeus QC is rather good.
Thanks a lot bro for your valuable support. I am really thinking of this dell monitor but i couldn't find the sRGB coverage of the monitor and if it supports vesa mount (in the future thinking to use that), I wonder if you can help me with that. Another question, is there other viable alternatives from companies like Viotech, Pixio and massdrop.

What is the difference between 8-Bit and 10-Bit panel and is the dell 8 or 10 bit?

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
8-bit and 10-bit refer to colour ranges; 8-bit provides 16 million colour combinations whilst 10-bit presses into the billions. In practice, you're limited by content even when you have a 10-bit display, as most content produced is still 8-bit. There are numerous advantages in photo editing, but that doesn't seem to be a primary workload for you.

sRGB coverage is, as with most TN's, unexceptional (93%ish). Again, in practice it shouldn't affect your use-case, especially because with a little effort in calibration settings, you can greatly improve colour accuracy. https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2716dg

Nixeus, Pixio, and any other brand offering a 1440p 144Hz IPS display are all using the same panel from AUO, and it is a classic lottery panel. Depending on how picky they are, it's not uncommon to see someone go through three RMA's to get one they consider satisfactory. Brands are thus differentiated for those panels by features and QC. It's a good panel when it comes out right (I enjoy mine) but it's not hassle-free and because the QC required is so extreme in this case, all of the Gsync versions of that AUO panel cost $599 or more.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8-bit and 10-bit refer to colour ranges; 8-bit provides 16 million colour combinations whilst 10-bit presses into the billions. In practice, you're limited by content even when you have a 10-bit display, as most content produced is still 8-bit. There are numerous advantages in photo editing, but that doesn't seem to be a primary workload for you.

sRGB coverage is, as with most TN's, unexceptional (93%ish). Again, in practice it shouldn't affect your use-case, especially because with a little effort in calibration settings, you can greatly improve colour accuracy. https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2716dg

Nixeus, Pixio, and any other brand offering a 1440p 144Hz IPS display are all using the same panel from AUO, and it is a classic lottery panel. Depending on how picky they are, it's not uncommon to see someone go through three RMA's to get one they consider satisfactory. Brands are thus differentiated for those panels by features and QC. It's a good panel when it comes out right (I enjoy mine) but it's not hassle-free and because the QC required is so extreme in this case, all of the Gsync versions of that AUO panel cost $599 or more.
Thanks a lot bro, I will get this monitor as I think it is the best choice for me, all thanks to the information provided by you. I really appreciate having people like you in the community, very helpful.

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
Cheers, always happy to help the community that's been so helpful to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts