Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am getting the new Gigabyte Aero 15x v8. Waiting for it to ship.
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 (Max-Q)
Processor: 8th Gen Intel Coffee Lake Core i7-8750H Six Core (2.2GHz-4.1GHz, 9MB Intel Smart Cache, 45W)
Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Hard Drive: 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD

I brought these DDR4 2400 2x16GB RAM. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...m_re=f4-2400c16d-32grs-_-20-232-156-_-Product
I was going to use them in XPS 15 but the two units I got were bad, one bad power supply and the other thermal issue.

Can I use them in the Aero 15x? How does it compare 2400 vs 2666? I usually go for faster RAM in slower MB.
Should I sell these and just get another stick of the 2666?

TIA

PS. How do you change the text for the hyperlink?

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,290 Posts
I am getting the new Gigabyte Aero 15x v8. Waiting for it to ship.
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 (Max-Q)
Processor: 8th Gen Intel Coffee Lake Core i7-8750H Six Core (2.2GHz-4.1GHz, 9MB Intel Smart Cache, 45W)
Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Hard Drive: 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD

I brought these DDR4 2400 2x16GB RAM. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...m_re=f4-2400c16d-32grs-_-20-232-156-_-Product
I was going to use them in XPS 15 but the two units I got were bad, one bad power supply and the other thermal issue.

Can I use them in the Aero 15x? How does it compare 2400 vs 2666? I usually go for faster RAM in slower MB.
Should I sell these and just get another stick of the 2666?

TIA

PS. How do you change the text for the hyperlink?
I don't think you'll notice any significant changes in performance. Intel CPUs are faaar less reliant on memory speeds than AMD are at the moment. If it was something like... 2133 vs 3000, that's one thing, but dropping down one multiplier value isn't going to make or break your experience. If it was me, I'd just grab a second 16GB stick of 2666 and sell the 32GB kit. Easier to make the most of your newest machine. :D

Also I hate/love you. That's the machine I want. Enjoy your 8 hour battery. That machine has some of the most stellar reviews out there. It ran hot for the stress test, but... anyone on OCN can tell you that Furmark and Prime95 push your GPU and CPU harder than any game ever will and is an extremely unrealistic load to boot.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think you'll notice any significant changes in performance. Intel CPUs are faaar less reliant on memory speeds than AMD are at the moment. If it was something like... 2133 vs 3000, that's one thing, but dropping down one multiplier value isn't going to make or break your experience. If it was me, I'd just grab a second 16GB stick of 2666 and sell the 32GB kit. Easier to make the most of your newest machine. :D

Also I hate/love you. That's the machine I want. Enjoy your 8 hour battery. That machine has some of the most stellar reviews out there. It ran hot for the stress test, but... anyone on OCN can tell you that Furmark and Prime95 push your GPU and CPU harder than any game ever will and is an extremely unrealistic load to boot.
I wasnt going to get this laptop. As mentioned, I was getting the XPS 15. But once the XPS throttle, the multiplier doesnt come back until you restart your computer. One of the reason I wanted the XPS was the USB-PD and TB3. The only other 15' laptop I know of with USB-PD is the surfacebook but that doesnt have a TB3 and is expensive.

Should be arriving this week I hope. Then I can do some benchmark and decide on the RAM.

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
I'm looking at an Aero 15x as well. 16GB RAM, GTX 1070.

For me its getting 6 cores with crazy battery life, productivity and an insane battery.

I am a bit concerned about the numerous issues that have been posted though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts