Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.aerocool.us/p-case/extrem...emengine3t.htm

Wow what a case! 25 cm side fan (162 CFM), 14 cm front fan (68 CFM) and a rear mount for a 120mm fan. Built in 3-Fan controller. also the front 4 5.25" bays are mesh covered (imagine throwing a thermaltake icage behind 3 of those bays, adding another 120mm intake!)

Not only that, its pretty nice looking (in black, I'm not a fan of silver cases).

Imagine that 25 cfm fan (which is mounted over the cpu/gpu areas, its offcentre for that purpose) blowing air directly into an SLI setup.

It's only $140 Cdn at Tigerdirect. Thats $60 cheaper than my armor (not including the two Icages I bought for another $60).

The only negative I can see is that it doesn't have a free 3.5" bay for my internal card reader.

·
Premium Member
20,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Considering I have ther armor, thats the only reason I wouldn't go out and get this as my case is already really decent.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i prefer the thermaltake cases.... nothing beats them... but this one is realy great... if only the side panel was a window.. so we could see the system... it would be... even greater

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade5399

2nd post on this case I've seen...TODAY!! LOL

And I came here to post about it myself, so we can call it 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade5399

For air cooling freaks, I bet it pwns. But when you need a fan that big in the side, it's time to go to water anyhow...

Maybe.......however, this case is only $106.99 at Newegg.com, where as a good water set up will run well over that.

I think this case might just be the solution to my cooling troubles.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacman

if only the side panel was a window.. so we could see the system... it would be... even greater

I had the same thought........if I end up getting one, I plan to mod it to have at least some form of a window. i didn't spend $60 on a 9500LED just to HIDE it

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Ok, so let's see which would be better.....

This one with the 250mm side fan but no window

or

THIS with a window and mounts for 2 120mm fans on the side, making a total of 240mm of fan possible.......making them very close.

The ExtremeEngine has aluminum front doors while the AeroEngineII has plastic (which is odd as they look identical and appear to use the same frame), so that's a bonus.

However, even modding the ExtrmeEngine to use a window (not that hard really) you still have a one of a kind fan that you can't replace with a LED model for better looks.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper

Ok, so let's see which would be better.....

This one with the 250mm side fan but no window

or

THIS with a window and mounts for 2 120mm fans on the side, making a total of 240mm of fan possible.......making them very close.

The ExtremeEngine has aluminum front doors while the AeroEngineII has plastic (which is odd as they look identical and appear to use the same frame), so that's a bonus.

However, even modding the ExtrmeEngine to use a window (not that hard really) you still have a one of a kind fan that you can't replace with a LED model for better looks.

You have to be carefull with your addition of the fans. A 240mm @2400RPM fan is going to blow more air than 2 x 120mm fans at @2400RPM. It is a square relationship. One 250mm fan will probably blow as much as 3 120mm fans at the same RPM!

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Yup, I was figuring on 2 1/2 more, but it's close.

I think I'll go with the regular one (plastic front doors and all :sigh: ) simply for cost and looks. The 3T is a good deal with that built in fan controller and metal doors, you could still just mod the side panel with a window kit and not even use the mega fan.......but I'm on a budget.

I'm still waffling on going water or not. I mean, if I buy this super cool case built all around airflow now, I'm not gonna want to put my main system back in my old case with water..........maybe I should just go water now, and then plan to buy a cool case later, transfer my mian rig into it and then put the budget system into this old case then.

gah

so many options!!

LOL

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper

Yup, I was figuring on 2 1/2 more, but it's close.

I think I'll go with the regular one (plastic front doors and all :sigh: ) simply for cost and looks. The 3T is a good deal with that built in fan controller and metal doors, you could still just mod the side panel with a window kit and not even use the mega fan.......but I'm on a budget.

I'm still waffling on going water or not. I mean, if I buy this super cool case built all around airflow now, I'm not gonna want to put my main system back in my old case with water..........maybe I should just go water now, and then plan to buy a cool case later, transfer my mian rig into it and then put the budget system into this old case then.

gah

so many options!!

LOL

The Thermaltake Typoon can compare with watercooling under idle conditions, but under heavy overclocks and loads, no air cooling will compare will a well though out WC system. But, in terms of best bang for buck, BT can't be beat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got the extremeengine 3t a few days ago and I love it.

Dropped temps by about 5-7 degrees and I was using an Antec SLK3000b before, which has fairly decent cooling. The 25cm fan on the side is awesome, I was able to o/c my vid card a bit more because of the extra cooling. The built in fan controllers are a very nice feature as well. The loudest fan in my rig is still the stock vga cooler on my 7800gt (which will soon be replaced).

I definately really like this case though, I'm glad I bought it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts