Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

These two guys climb 1700 feet with very minimal safety equipment, with a thunderstorm approaching, just to change a LIGHT BULB. And i wonder how this guy got up the tower with his colossal titanium balls.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Crazy... I'm generally not afraid of heights, I'm afraid of the thing I'm using to support myself to break

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazznaz View Post
OH. MY. GOD.

That is absolutely outrageous. In winds, doesn't that tower move around?
Oh heck yes they do. I've been up the top of my 100ft tower and it will sway a good foot or so.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Climbing up is easy, climbing down is not!

·
In a van...DOWNBYTHERIVER
3,589 Posts
JESUS. Why don't they have parachutes or something? Then you could have a fun jumping off, and getting down fast.

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
oh my god, that is ridiculous. i'm not afraid of hights but i would be holding on for dear life.

you would think they have a parachute in case they slip and fall.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
You'd think they would use some sort of belay system... Like each section of the tower could have an auto belayer that they clip into. That'd save time on getting down, too. Though I guess it's just one more thing that can break or go wrong.

Still seems crazy though, it'd be so easy to just have a piece of bungy cord or something hanging down every 50 feet that they could clip into, just in case.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madman340 View Post
JESUS. Why don't they have parachutes or something? Then you could have a fun jumping off, and getting down fast.
I was thinking the same thing.

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
I'm terrified of heights, and that video was awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
Here as well.

Only 75k? Christ, I'd name my first-born after my employee if he was brave enough to do that.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
I'm not afraid of heights but I've never been on a structure that high. Mostly what I've done is climbed stone faces probably 200-300 feet high. They aren't vertical but close enough.

I'm actually more afraid of working on step ladders and extension ladders as they're not the most stable things in the world.

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
there is a reason they dont base jump off the top
1. its illegal
2. the chute just adds weight and you would have to unsnag it very often while climbing up the tower.

and rumor has it they used to get 6 figures per JOB for doing this insane shiat

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrious View Post
1. its illegal
2. the chute just adds weight and you would have to unsnag it very often while climbing up the tower.

wow six figures per job. i'd risk my life for that kind of money for sure.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrious View Post
1. its illegal

6 figures for the company they work for. they, themselves, wouldnt get 6 figures...

unless they're freelancers! haha

but IMO, i doubt its 6 figures per job to change a light bulb. no matter where it is...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts