Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I missed the convenience of having everything on one drive. It was always so annoying when I had to change drives from C:\\ and D:\\ since I had Windows on my SSD and everything else on the HDD. I saw no real benefit other than faster booting time, and I lost the convenience of having everything on one drive. Anyway, I went back to a single 320GB as a main and I was wondering if there were any uses for an SSD for my day to day use. I was considering using it as a swap drive for my photoshop and flash projects, or just selling it. Any idea what would be a good use for it for me or should I just sell it? I don't care much about the speed of my Windows and app loading time.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
I would sale it and buy two samsung f3 1 terabytes and raid 0 them and call it a day. As the newer ssd's will hopefully be out by the end of the year. Forcing the older ones down in price.

I feel the same way about the ssd's, yes they are fast but small and cost a great deal when you jump to anything over 80gig.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had someone the same dilema as you. I just uses my ssd's to store all my code and adobe stuff. Probably a waste of an SSD but it is what it is. I heard through the grapevine that if you reformat an SSD, that it seriously kills the life of the drive. How true that is, I don't know. But it could present a problem when trying to resale.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darwin96
View Post

I had someone the same dilema as you. I just uses my ssd's to store all my code and adobe stuff. Probably a waste of an SSD but it is what it is. I heard through the grapevine that if you reformat an SSD, that it seriously kills the life of the drive. How true that is, I don't know. But it could present a problem when trying to resale.

Formatting no, defrag yes, but the RT7Lite version of Windows 7 I used to adhere to the space constraints had the defrag stripped out anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Windows 7 shuts off defrag by default on the ssd. I use hdderase to restore my ssd back to factory performance before i run a os install. Works great and you get all the speed back.

·
Premium Member
3,821 Posts
Put the SSD into your old netbook or laptop, or give it to me so I can put it in my EeePC

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kip69
View Post

Put the SSD into your old netbook or laptop, or give it to me so I can put it in my EeePC

I would put it in a netbook or laptop, if I owned one. I'm saving up for a decent beginner DSLR. Played with my friends D200 and holy its awesome, but that's a different thread/topic. I'll most likely sell it, thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Whatever you do, don't use it as a swap drive. All the constant reads and writes will kill it quickly. Same thing for defrag.

·
Registered
731 Posts
well... hold up a sec.

What kind of SSD is it?
What are your read/write speeds?

If you get a crappy one, and its read and write is below 100mbps, then its just a ****ty SSD and it doesn't do its job at being a bamf.

I say, get an external 2.5" hdd enclosure and keep it for Adobe stuff and data for backups.

Can't wait til these bastards dip under 100 bones.
I need to see the difference for myself.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton338
View Post

well... hold up a sec.

What kind of SSD is it?
What are your read/write speeds?

If you get a crappy one, and its read and write is below 100mbps, then its just a ****ty SSD and it doesn't do its job at being a bamf.

I say, get an external 2.5" hdd enclosure and keep it for Adobe stuff and data for backups.

Can't wait til these bastards dip under 100 bones.
I need to see the difference for myself.

It's a decent SSD, considering I got it at an all time low sale, Corsair Nova based on the Indillinx Barefoot, 195mb read/70mb write. My problem isn't speed, it's lack of space and the annoying need to switch data between drives, especially since I reinstall Windows about once or twice a month.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LemonSlice
View Post

It's a decent SSD, considering I got it at an all time low sale, Corsair Nova based on the Indillinx Barefoot, 195mb read/70mb write. My problem isn't speed, it's lack of space and the annoying need to switch data between drives, especially since I reinstall Windows about once or twice a month.

twice a month!?

You sir are a fiend... and you're worried about the inconvenience of picking where to install programs.. no wonder since you're doing it every two weeks!

You could use the Location guide (I wrote here)

And Junctions to link other folders...

But yeah if you reinstall every two weeks, it could get annoying having to reset up all your stuff every time...

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!!?

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tinker a lot, end up with crap files buried in every folder on my computer, so I just grab my set of important stuff and reinstall. Occasionally I toast my windows installation by screwing up settings too. Either way, I got into photography and the ssd is no longer necessary as part of my daily routine
. What's one minute loading time when my commuter is on for the whole day folding anyhow
. I'm going to finalize this copy of windows and stop the reinstall cycle now to shoot some thousand photos. And I somewhat exaggerated about twice a month. That was common for me a few months ago, the installation Im using managed to not get crapped up over a month and a half.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LemonSlice View Post
I tinker a lot, end up with crap files buried in every folder on my computer, so I just grab my set of important stuff and reinstall. Occasionally I toast my windows installation by screwing up settings too. Either way, I got into photography and the ssd is no longer necessary as part of my daily routine
. What's one minute loading time when my commuter is on for the whole day folding anyhow
. I'm going to finalize this copy of windows and stop the reinstall cycle now to shoot some thousand photos. And I somewhat exaggerated about twice a month. That was common for me a few months ago, the installation Im using managed to not get crapped up over a month and a half.
Do you have enough software that it doesn't all fit on the 30GB SSD?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts