Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally selected all my parts, hit the order button, and will receive them later this week! So excited I had to share
biggrin.gif

I'm going from:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.8ghz
4gb DDR2
HD 5770 (mildly overclocked)

To:

Corsair Vengeance 8gb
Corsair H80
Asrock Extreme4 Gen3
Crucial M4 64gb
MSI TFIII GTX 570 PE/OC

I already have a Spinpoint F3 1tb hard drive, a Lancool PC-K62 case, Corsair HX-650 PSU and Samsung Blu-ray Combo ODD which I will be reusing.

Super pumped to get this thing built and to mess around with it, my first true gaming build!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
thats gonna be a huge jump...your gonna love it!

you'll be loading every game you have just so you can see it with all the eye candy...lol...at least thats what i did ...oh and that ssd will spoil you...you can never go back to a spinning disk now!

congrats
thumb.gif

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I'm super psyched to finally max some games, and not play BF3 at 30fps...

Been living off my m11x for the past four months, but will finally be able to start using a desktop again as of tomorrow, hooking this new baby up to my two Alienware Optx 23" 120hz monitors to plough through as much as I can
smile.gif

Was originally going to go with an Extreme3, h60 and 560 ti but decided to splurge, this PC has to last me through my studies for the next three plus years with minimal upgrades. Good thing I've got a month or so until they actually start... or I'd get nothing done!!

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Have you considered going for a 4GB kit of RAM and 2x 6870's?
More VRAM and well, the raw power of two 6870s will take you much further than a 570 and an extra 4GB of RAM (that'll never really be used in games.)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post

Have you considered going for a 4GB kit of RAM and 2x 6870's?
More VRAM and well, the raw power of two 6870s will take you much further than a 570 and an extra 4GB of RAM (that'll never really be used in games.)
The 1gb on each card for the 6870s doesn't stack in crossfire, so the 570 will actually have more VRAM... And I've run into trouble with just 4gb of RAM while playing BF3 on my laptop, and I'm naturally going to be leaving a lot of other things open (I'm a writer, have at least a few word documents open, web browsers, notes, etc etc, open all at once, as well as itunes and paused videos). I'm also going the green team for the two dual link dvi ports so I can fully utilise my two 120hz monitors.

Thanks for the suggestions though, they are things I have considered in the past, but I'd like to think I've tailored this build pretty well to my needs
smile.gif

Oh yeah, and I'll be playing A LOT of the Batman games on this, so wanted PhysX in the mix too
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
I strongly recommend taking a serious look at the 6870x2's which are priced a bit higher than the 570.

Edit: Oh snap. Didn't see your last post before this one. I should have mentioned I had the 2GB models in mind. I see lots of valid reasons for wanting the 570 in your last post. PhysX is a bit of a joke nowadays, though. It's benefits have diminished to a point where their existence is arguable. Not to say nVidia has nothing to offer, though; their cards are every bit as good as AMD's -- I just think 6870 series has what you need.

Edit: Also didn't noticed you already made the purchase. Multiple footmouths. Enjoy your build. I came from a similar budget build to your e7400, to what I have now. Exciting times.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Sounds like you did your homework. Nice build, I'm sure you will enjoy it
thumb.gif

Oh, what case are you putting it all in?
biggrin.gif

EDIT:

Quote:

I strongly recommend taking a serious look at the 6870x2's which are priced a bit higher than the 570.
I heard they have microstutter problems due to the 2 GPU's, besides he wants Physx for his Batman games. Not only that, but he already purchased a 570 which is a great card.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

Sounds like you did your homework. Nice build, I'm sure you will enjoy it
thumb.gif

Oh, what case are you putting it all in?
biggrin.gif
Currently have a Lancool PC-K62 which I've been pretty happy with. Might bump down to something smaller though, might be a little more space restricted than I originally thought with the people I will be boarding with. Alternatively, might just decide to try something different, if so, will go with a Corsair 600TE
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_Freak View Post

Gratz we will be looking for the build log
thumb.gif
Really hoping I get the chance to do a proper build log, just been crazy the past few months, would be nice to slow down and just enjoy building it and sharing with others
smile.gif
Oh yeah, not sure if any of you guys noticed, but I'm specifically going for a black centric build, not too worried about throwing some grey in there either with the GPU
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinroshak View Post

SO. MUCH. POWER.
Although, I would require a new PSU...
rolleyes.gif
something to dream about...after the newness wears off...lol....always something better and more powerful it seems
typer.gif

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Edit: Oh snap. Didn't see your last post before this one. I should have mentioned I had the 2GB models in mind. I see lots of valid reasons for wanting the 570 in your last post. PhysX is a bit of a joke nowadays, though. It's benefits have diminished to a point where their existence is arguable. Not to say nVidia has nothing to offer, though; their cards are every bit as good as AMD's -- I just think 6870 series has what you need.
Graphics cards was the biggest 'um and ah' point for me, and the true deciding factor in regards to going green was the two dual link dvi ports. If the 6000 series of AMD cards had those, I would have very seriously considered forgoing PhysX in my beloved Batman games. I don't understand why they did it with the 5000 series and not the 6000... oh well!
Quote:

Edit: Also didn't noticed you already made the purchase. Multiple footmouths. Enjoy your build. I came from a similar budget build to your e7400, to what I have now. Exciting times.
Cheers mate, I'm ready to be blown away
thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinnocent View Post

something to dream about...after the newness wears off...lol....always something better and more powerful it seems
typer.gif
Ahhh yes! Quite surprised I managed to hold off this long actually... then again, I wasn't working most of last year, so didn't really have a choice
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinnocent View Post

typer.gif
Just a dream but it will come quickly lol but it will still be a couple years at least since the 570 is a beast.
smile.gif

·
Nightmare
59 Posts
OC that bad boy as well.
biggrin.gif

Nice build, and enjoy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts