Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I know from my first post I have probably embarrassed myself by buying a pre-build. OH my god that was such a MISTAKE. It comes with so much issues that I rather pay the re-stocking fee and return it.

So my new build is about $1400

Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene
CPU: i7 2600k Quad Core Processor
GPU: Asus DC Top 550 Ti Sli (2)
PSU: Antec GS 800 (because it lights 3 different colors!
biggrin.gif
)
Case: CoolerMaster Haf X (I know I'll get a bunch of *&^&* for this; putting a mATX in a full tower case, however I like to argue that since I'm building another pc for my parents soon, I might just use it for a full size ATX motherboard later on and buy myself another full size but slightly smaller such as the new MC Storm Trooper)
RAM: Corsair Rampage 1866 mhz 8GB (2x4)

So I have a few questions.

First, If I do plan to overclock my ram just a bit to lets say 2000 mhz. Do I really need a Rampage ram fan?

Secondly, I see that each fan has it's own molex adapter consisting of male and female. I was wondering If I can group all the fan molex together (via Male + Female) and plug all through ONE molex to power cord?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Your build is a bit all over the place...

Drop the 2600k to a 2500k, get an Asus Z77 Pro or comparable Asrock. Instead of SLI 550TI's get a HD7850 and OC it (or a comparable nvidia single card.) And drop the 1866mhz RAM to 1600mhz G-Skills or the Samsung Low Profile RAM. The RAM fan is not needed. Also I dont know what that PSU is like but 800w is overkill. You only need a decent 550w at most.

·
Washed Up Old Gamer
4,694 Posts
Well, I wish I could say you nailed your 2nd crack at it, but I can't. I do not like your choice of gpu at all. 550ti's are weak cards, weaker even than 460's which are of course 2 gens old by now. It's always much better to go with the single, more powerful card. For the price you paid you could have scored a 7870 that would mop the floor with those 550's. I think most here will agree with me. I can understand the allure of sli, especially being that you're new to all this. It's a mistake lots of people make. I'd return them if you can. I'm not crazy about that power supply either. It's a decent unit, but there are much better options in your price range. A solid 550w unit would power that rig with no issues.

• Rep+
Reactions: csm725

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Hey man

Well, I'm sorry to say i'm going to have to have a few things to say about this.

1. Why you going with last gen processors? Also, are you going to be using multi-threaded applications? If not then go with an i5, a 3570k and getting your PCI-E 3.0
2. again, old tech, you'd be better off getting a single gtx670 with the money you saved from the i7 - i5 change and a single card solution
3. Why the m-ATX board? You're limiting your upgrade options.
4. PSU is miles overspec, go with something around the 600w - 650w mark. 800w will be very inefficient

If it were me, i'd go back get an i5, a full size MB, go with Ivybridge and change the GPU to a single GTX670. Also you still don't need an 800w PSU.

Comps

·
Engineer of Malcontent
5,787 Posts
uh.......I'm sorry what did you say? I was distracted by your avatar.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thank you all for the replies.

Regarding the GPUs, after doing some research, I am definitely a nVidia enthusiast. So the next upgrade card I can get would cost me over $300. I found the 550 ti on sale on Amazon. And they are the special Asus DC Top edition! for $135 each. So I got 3 of them (2 for me and 1 for my parents).

I did the power supply checkers on newegg and thermaltake site, I know 550W would be minimum and 650w was recommended. Since I plan to overclock a bit, I believe I would need around 700-750W to be safe. Plus, the GS 800 is not only about bells and whistles, it is a quiet psu. (got that on Amazon for $114). A quality 750W cost about $100, so why not make that jump right.

Now for the CPU, I want hyper threading, because I do a lot of multitasking--being a college student, I have to write a lot of essays, while I get distracted like crazy with websites, youtube, facebook, and maybe some music. However I will be getting the i5 2500k for my parents. It is a great cpu.

I am very sketchy on the motherboard. Note: I have just about build everything already, and waiting on the cpu to arrive this afternoon to complete the build. So I am very unlikely so to return the motherboard at this point. I wanted an affordable motherboard, the Asus P8 Pro series is not bad at all, in fact I am getting that for my parents build.

But I found some expert test on the Maximus V Gene, and apparently it has very good voltage handling, which is the case for all Maximus motherboards. It can hold 1.3 V at 4.8 ghz overclock! --Now I have used Gigabyte z68 before, and at mere 4.6 requires 1.39-1.42 V.
However I know I am limiting myself to upgrades, but I'll never really want to spent so much money on 4 way SLI anyway. But just out of curiosity, Are there adapters I can plug in to expand pci express slots on this mATX board?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaggio1103 View Post

uh.......I'm sorry what did you say? I was distracted by your avatar.
biggrin.gif
Compuman's distracts me even more. More of a creeping-me-out kind of distraction, but a distraction nonetheless.

·
Washed Up Old Gamer
4,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclock2day View Post

Hey thanks for the first reply.
Regarding the GPUs, after doing some research, I am definitely a nVidia enthusiast. So the next upgrade card I can get would cost me over $300. I found the 550 ti on sale on Amazon. And they are the special Asus DC Top edition! for $135 each. So I got 3 of them (2 for me and 1 for my parents).
I did the power supply checkers on newegg and thermaltake site, I know 550W would be minimum and 650w was recommended. Since I plan to overclock a bit, I believe I would need around 700-750W to be safe. Plus, the GS 800 is not only about bells and whistles, it is a quiet psu. (got that on Amazon for $114). A quality 750W cost about $100, so why not make that jump right.
No, just, no. The cards are underpowered budget models at best. Something much more powerful and future proof could have been had for that price. There is nothing special about it being an asus dc top edition.

As far as the power supply goes, it's an average unit at best and is massive overkill for you needs. Why would you take advice from someone trying to sell you something ? (Newegg/Thermaltake) They will ALWAYS way overestimate your needs to take advantage of you. That's just common sense.

Take it from people who have been where you are and are not looking to sell you anything.
wink.gif

• Rep+

·
Engineer of Malcontent
5,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclock2day View Post

Hey thanks for the first reply.
I only have a 630w and I have a good overclock on my cpu and sometimes on my gpu folding on both for hours. Overclocking does not increase your watts by 150-200 700-750w would be way overdoing it even if you had a 670 or 7950

For that budget you could have a killer rig if you take these guys advice. The build you listed is last gen, and not really that great for that price. If your shelling out that cash go current gen, and listen to the guys on here. I have been building systems for years and still come here for advice on my builds.

·
Engineer of Malcontent
5,787 Posts
Ok so here is what I came up with real fast. This build is infinitly better than what you posted. and under budget so you can add different items.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Pretty much agree with everything said here. I made the mistake of getting a 2600K. I don't need it. The i7 is much more appealing than i5 though. You spend about $300 on cards that honestly aren't worth it. With the $100 saved you could have got a gtx 670.

And I think I'm the only that is bothered by this,nut I'm pretty sure that's a corsair PSU
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
~1400 Dollars. On that? You can do wayyy better OP. Way better. You say you were embarrassed by your prebuild. So make a good home built. Not what your planning. Please. I beg you.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaggio1103 View Post

Ok so here is what I came up with real fast. This build is infinitly better than what you posted. and under budget so you can add different items.
This looks great. I have to agree with the others the 3770k and 550ti's was no the best choice at first but you have refined it to what looks like it will be a great machine! You may want to switch the PSU to a more reputable brand.

·
Washed Up Old Gamer
4,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic8ball88 View Post

Pretty much agree with everything said here. I made the mistake of getting a 2600K. I don't need it. The i7 is much more appealing than i5 though. You spend about $300 on cards that honestly aren't worth it. With the $100 saved you could have got a gtx 670.
And I think I'm the only that is bothered by this,nut I'm pretty sure that's a corsair PSU
tongue.gif
The fact that it's Corsair doesn't make it any less average. Have a look at the jonnyguru reviews. Ask Phaedrus or Original Sin. This corsair is god mentality is just wrong.

• Rep+

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs.exe View Post

I would ask for a complete new rig here and buy it. SLI GTS 550 wasn't even a plan when they launched, let alone now 2 years later, they won't cut anything.
Hey I understand that there are better graphic cards out there, but for the price of $135 per card. 2x550 ti can compete with even 570s.

Anyways, I could be wrong. The initial information I was leaning on were: http://www.nvidia.com/object/graphics_cards_buy_now.html

And yes the Asus DC Top edition matters, a whole lot. Check out some benchmarks:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_gtx550_dcu/16.htm

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+550+Ti

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/

·
Registered
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Who Dat View Post

The fact that it's Corsair doesn't make it any less average. Have a look at the jonnyguru reviews. Ask Phaedrus or Original Sin. This corsair is god mentality is just wrong.
No no that's not what I'm getting at lol. In the original post he put Antec GS 800. Corsair makes the GS 800 lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHighScore View Post

This looks great. I have to agree with the others the 3770k and 550ti's was no the best choice at first but you have refined it to what looks like it will be a great machine! You may want to switch the PSU to a more reputable brand.
Thanks for that. I will use something like that for my parents build:

GPU: Asus DC Top 550 Ti
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K
motherboard: ASUS Intel Z77 ATX DDR3 2400 LGA 1155 Motherboard P8Z77-V PRO
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified High Performance Modular Power Supply CP-9020002-NA
CPU Watercooling: Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler System - Antec
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper Gaming Full Tower Computer Case with Carrying Handle (SGC-5000-KKN1) -
Ram: Corsair Vengence 8gb (2x4)
Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)
Western Digital Cavair Sata III
Total: $1035

My parents really want this to be a budget one, but I wanted to make it a bit future proof. Any suggestions? I'm very much into Asus motherboards right now, but maybe a EVGA one with 4 pci express slots z68?

Regarding the Case, omg I just love the new case. Check it out. http://www.cmstorm.com/en/products/chassis/Trooper/
Now I know I can save money on the case by getting a mid-tower but I want a full-tower just to be flexible in terms of watercooling and airflow.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great build, I will keep that in mind. The graphic card is just too expansive i think. for $400 I have to buy 2 or 3 cards. Its for both my own and my parents. I know I could save money by going mid-tower, but that wouldn't be enough to buy any 600s.
I'm using a AOC 20 inch monitor with 1600x900 LED monitor. So even 450 sli can max that monitor. So I think 550 ti sli is more than enough for my monitor.

And I would not go anything below a Corsair or Antec PSU. Even Thermaltake is questionable. XD

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.