Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
I used 90% Isopropyl Alcohol to polish/clean it after I was done.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey122687
Say, after lapping, what should i use (to rub on the bottom) so that it won't corrode?
You don't want to use anything other than alcohol as the other poster said. The Tim that you apply will prevent any corrosin from happening anyway.If you used anything else it could leave a film on it and that could impede the heat transfer..

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by RyGuy
I used 90% Isopropyl Alcohol to polish/clean it after I was done.
hows 99%?

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey122687
hows 99%?
Overkill, where did you find 99% anyways? You can even use 70% if you are in a pinch, just don't use nail polish remover because it contains various enzymes and things that you don't want on copper. But if you've got 99%, go for it!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by RyGuy
Overkill, where did you find 99% anyways? You can even use 70% if you are in a pinch, just don't use nail polish remover because it contains various enzymes and things that you don't want on copper. But if you've got 99%, go for it!

i don't even know if its 99 or 1 or whatever, all i know is got alcohol.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Mikey If you are lapping Fugly be careful, It has the same thin base as all my others it has been thouroughly lapped and is flat. you need not worry about the discoloration it will have no effect, just clean with alcohol and use nothing else. All of my blocks shine when I first finish them but copper develops a patina rather quickly, smooth and flat is the key, shine is just eye candy.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by fstfrddy
Mikey If you are lapping Fugly be careful, It has the same thin base as all my others it has been thouroughly lapped and is flat. you need not worry about the discoloration it will have no effect, just clean with alcohol and use nothing else. All of my blocks shine when I first finish them but copper develops a patina rather quickly, smooth and flat is the key, shine is just eye candy.
oh nice, i'm about to do it too, thanks

So just use the alcohol to take off the brownish color?

Also can you PM me on how to install it, theres a bunch of screws and washers and stuff and i'm clueless

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok cool, i was going to use grits 2000 to perfect it again, but i guess i don't need to now.

Also is there a guide on how to install?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

There are pics of it correctly installed here, what else do you need to know? just tighten it down evenly until the springs are fully compressed then stop. I just use the BB sized method for the paste, there is a pic of that in a link on page two.
oh i thought the springs is suppose to be on the back of the mobo

Also i might need to lap it a bit since there are a crap load of scatch marks

you still think its wise to lap or just leave it?

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

still I doubt it is in real bad shape, if you want to re lap just get some 1200 or finer over glass, but I am betting it is still better than you will find on most commercial blocks.

Don't get me wrong, its in good shape, but i'm a perfectionist and i would like everything to be perfect. Besides its a pain to take it in and out of the case later on. And i'll be using grits 2000 to remove the scatches

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Well go ahead if you want but I doubt it would gain you any improvement in temps, I know it is flat. With all the testing I did on my own rig I had my original block off many times and never re lapped it. There was never any difference in temps from day one when it was perfectly smooth and shiny.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts