Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I plan on buying a Scythe Infinity when I upgrade to AM2 (whenever that ends up being) and need to know, when would the fan I attach to to the HSF be overkill? I'm pretty sure I don't need this: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=20848

So does anyone know what speed is just unnecessary because the cooling stops getting any better? I know it's a rather obscure question, but I was hoping for a little help.

Thanks,
pow3rtr1p

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Specifications:
  • 120x120x76mm
  • 220.29 CFM @ 3550/3200 RPM
  • 59.0 dBA
  • 31.80 watts
  • 2.65 amps
  • Maximum Air Pressure 15.04 mm H²O
  • 12v DC
  • 3+4 pin Molex header connector(s)
It's labeled on the site.

edit: Oh you mean when is it overkill? 220cfm is a lot. They sell 130cfm Deltas on ebay for like $6-7 shipped. Those are "quieter." Either way I'd just get a fan controller to be safe.

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
lol thats amazing.. he said he doesnt want it, its just an example.. but damn, 76MM?

i think it was 180 or something around there. but it wouldnt matter unless you have great case airflow.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackeagle View Post
If you can tolerate http://youtube.com/watch?v=uU0ioLpxc-8 then go ahead, I know I wouldn't be able to.
lol, dang, I don't think so...

So would a Silverstone FM121 be a good fan to get to attach to the HSF then?

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Yeah, I think it gets to a point where it doesn't matter how much air a fan can push. I bet after so many CFMs it gets to be like overfilling a funnel. If that makes any sense

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p View Post
lol, dang, I don't think so...

So would a Silverstone FM121 be a good fan to get to attach to the HSF then?
I had an FM121 on my NtO6, and it was too loud, let alone the deltas...

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbzhnsr1
View Post

I had an FM121 on my NtO6, and it was too loud, let alone the deltas...

At haul-ass speed? Mine is silent at lowest speed, which is what I have it at 85% of the time. I kick it up to about 3/4 speed when I'm gaming and full speed when priming.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I have 2x120mm 108cfm sunons on my rad for my watercool loop. I run them 100% all the time at 3600rfm @ 42dba. Since theres 2 of them its a like roar and combined its 216cfm. They are strong enough to help suck the side pannel close when I'm closing it.

at 42dba I can still hear them softly with head phones while playing a game like bf2142 or something with action.

There are many fans out there that will do 70-90cfm alot quieter.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
I think if you're aiming for that hardcore of air-cooling, you should consider lapping both the heatsink and CPU to ensure that you have maximum CPU/HSF thermal efficiency.

If you really want good airflow, just strap a household fan next to your rig. No joke, it does a great job cooling everything. It dropped my load temps by almost 10 degrees!
LL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts