Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It really is. It worsens image clarity, dot pitch clarity, colors, and decreasea contrast ratio perception. This is just FYI for those looking to buy decent VA panels. You may get 3x or 2.5x the contrast of an IPS panel, but the resulting VA image may seem worse if your IPS panel, to which you compared AG / Matte VA panel, had glossy or semi-glossy screen.

Semi-glossy or glossy is something to look for. There is crappy semi-glossy and good semi-glossy. Always make sure to look at close-up pixels photos in reviews.

TV's tend to be semi-glossy or even have good AG coating, but TV's always come with better quality panels than most monitors.

AU Optronics panels tend to have the worst AG coating.

·
PC Evangelist
47,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

It really is. It worsens image clarity, dot pitch clarity, colors, and decreasea contrast ratio perception. This is just FYI for those looking to buy decent VA panels. You may get 3x or 2.5x the contrast of an IPS panel, but the resulting VA image may seem worse if your IPS panel, to which you compared AG / Matte VA panel, had glossy or semi-glossy screen.

Semi-glossy or glossy is something to look for. There is crappy semi-glossy and good semi-glossy. Always make sure to look at close-up pixels photos in reviews.

TV's tend to be semi-glossy or even have good AG coating, but TV's always come with better quality panels than most monitors.

Not sure what my Philips 4K 40" has but its looks semi-glossy to me.

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axaion View Post

My counter point shall be this one thing
"Reflections"
"AR treatment"

·
►¿¿¿
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post

"AR treatment"
Nope, AR/matte coating is good enough

Unless you want to go into professional monitors

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axaion View Post

Nope, AR/matte coating is good enough
Those are are completely different things.

That's why i mentioned AR.

And implying "regular" users don't deserve/need to see the picture as it's intended to be viewed is erroneous.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This picture explains everything:

It definitely worsens contrast ratio perception with its blur.

Yes, reflections suck, BUT you can use your environment to make sure they don't happen. With AG coating you're stuck with it, unless its one of those monitors, from which the coating can be removed. Besides, even with AG coating, reflections suck.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Reflections you can see through are still better than diffused white blobs. Anyway since i have been using nothing but a glass covered screen with Ar for 20 years and never had glare or reflections at all, i'd say this is a moot point. Matte is crap for anything other than Bright Office, Remote Site (outside photog ect ), or Industrial applications where the lighting is not able to be controlled. For anything general homer user, photoshop, reading, movies, games et all. Glass with Ar is infinitely superior.

·
PC Evangelist
47,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

Bingo.
The problem is I could use my U2711 which had aggressive AG with room light on but now I am forced to turn the lights off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Chiming in. Needed a good IPS monitor for graphic design job. At the time the U2711 was one of the best for our purposes but within the budget constraints. (TV, so having a 2560x1440 made doing are 1920x1080 work a lot easier.)

The coating of the U2711 was way way too aggressive. If AG coatings had stayed like that, I would say glossy was better.

Since then, every IPS monitor I've gotten my hands on has had a far less aggressive coating. This includes the newer 4k ips Dells we got as well. Asus smaller IPS displays. Even my no-name Auria 2560x1440 (that I got for home use) for extensive use. And even observing various monitors in stores. I've only seen maybe three or four since then that had an "aggressive" coating.

I would trade the generally light AG coatings of the most modern monitors over glossy reflections any day of the week.

No matter how many blinds you use, even if you're in an entirely "blacked out" room the light of the screen is still going to reflect off of something.

Also, I keep light low to begin with, but I'm not going to live in total darkness just to see my monitors.

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfathan View Post

No matter how many blinds you use, even if you're in an entirely "blacked out" room the light of the screen is still going to reflect off of something.
That's why there is AR treatment. Of course, it's expensive to implement, but brands won't bother with it on monitors that cost below something like $1000 because users don't complain or simply support traditional methods by buying monitors. My vision is kind of average, but i still cannot unsee grain on every single AG coating ever, be it high-end 4K Dell monitors or otherwise. And grain is absolutely aggravating. Not to mention all the other things it takes away that glossy displays don't.

·
►¿¿¿
2,269 Posts
Sorry, not really interested in a 500% markup for an AG treatment on my 5 year old monitor, over having it good enough for everything i use it for.

However, if you feel like you want to pay the difference for me, since youre well enough off to spend enough money on it... drop me a PM
thumb.gif

·
Not a Fan
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

I have a BenQ BL-3201PH and the anti glare on it is pretty minimal, you can see reflections in the screen. That said, I wish it had none, but it's about as unobtrusive as I've seen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts