Overclock.net banner

581 - 600 of 614 Posts

·
Overclock the World
1,984 Posts
On the topic, i have a Crosshair VI with flashback and willing to flash anything on it in order to achieve ryzen 4000 boot (I don't care at all of all the boost technologies and PSP securities) or Pciex 4.0.
So far we don't know how much or if they will be locked within the CPU
No board would make a difference when it's locked inside the PSP firmware
We do have write access on some parts - but let's hope they won't be locked down

At this state and date, everything is possible
Stay up to date and we'll see what is possible when they release
No one here except people with engineering samples can predict their lockdowns
Well even they can't, as retail batches can at any time be hardware locked out ~ if AMD decides so
Like it was done after AGESA 1003AB(B), and the new stamped 3rd gen batches

·
Registered
368 Posts
@The Stilt: @aGeoM:
Meanwhile I have successfullly flashed myself a modded 32MB sized X570 BIOS by using the Flashrom tool on a FREEDOS image and without diskcopy.dll file.
Attached is the related picture about the procedure.

@Veii:
Thank you very much for your very interesting and helpful information.
Can you try to check if the security capsules on current X570 ASRock boards, still align with my findings and attempt
https://twitter.com/VeiiTM/status/1248852503132884992 <- tiny guide
After having read your post, I followed your advice and searched for the code "8B A6 3C 4A 23 77 FB 48 80 3D 57 8C C1 FE C4 4D" within the latest original BIOSes (untouched by UBU) for the following ASRock mainboards by using HxD:
a) X570 Pro4 (my new main PC mainboard) and
b) Fatal1ty Z170 (my formerly used mainboard).
Result: The exactly same code was present 2x within the Intel Z170 MB BIOS, but 4x within the AMD X570 one.

This indicates for me, that it may be possible to flash a modded 32MB sized ASRock BIOS by using the Instant Flash tool, if both relevant codes (the upper one of each BIOS half) have been removed by an upcoming UBU version.
As soon as possible I will let the UBU maker SoniX know about your tip and the result of my hex code search.

Thanks again!
Dieter

Update: After having done a deeper look into the ASRock X570 BIOS, which had been opened by the UBU tool v1.78.0 and saved by choosing the option 2 ("Remove Instant Flash Protection"), I have realized, that it only contains 2x the above mentioned security code (and not 3x).
This verifies, that SoniX already has implemented the removal of the upper security code from the second half of the BIOS. Obviously it doesn't prevent the "Secure Flash check fail" message, when the user tries to flash it by using the Instant Flash tool.

Attachments

·
Overclock the World
1,984 Posts
@Veii:
Thank you very much for your very interesting and helpful information.After having read your post, I followed your advice and searched for the code "8B A6 3C 4A 23 77 FB 48 80 3D 57 8C C1 FE C4 4D" within the latest original BIOSes (untouched by UBU) for the following ASRock mainboards by using HxD:
a) X570 Pro4 (my new main PC mainboard) and
b) Fatal1ty Z170 (my formerly used mainboard).
Result: The exactly same code was present 2x within the Intel Z170 MB BIOS, but 4x within the AMD X570 one.
After having removed the ASRock Instant Flash protection by the UBU tool I found the code only 1x within the Intel Z170 BIOS, but 3x within the X570 one.

This indicates for me, that it may be possible to flash a modded 32MB sized ASRock BIOS by using the Instant Flash tool, if both relevant codes (the upper one of each BIOS half) have been removed by an upcoming UBU version.
As soon as possible I will let the UBU maker SoniX know about your tip and the result of my hex code search.

Thanks again!
Dieter
The problem is, the 3 pictures show the locations of it, while it is present on 4 locations
It's a lookup and connection header and has to stay intact & existing
It should be 4 while the UBU patch does just wipe the main capsule - to skip the "unverified bios" on bootup message
It's a resolve for even being able to flash unverified bioses, but it's only a bypass to what i want to call it
The UBU patch was done some time ago - but if you look at the first picture, the signing code remains to be unique between bioses, and only little parts of it change

The key from my research was it to generate an always accepting whitelist or always accepting verification header by tricking the check feature always "accepting" the result and flashing on non modded boards
UBU does patch it out and clear it, but the indication headers remain active and are checked on the listed partitions = still won't allow a flash

There looks to be more to this code, the yellow and green'ish marked fields
But i couldn't find direct relation to them back then
Soo this whole thing is in an experimental state, although i think it should work by now
It would just need some testing to figure out if their verification code needs to be a specific length, or just the parts locations of the code have to have some kind of data = can be empty too & just need the spacing hex afterwards (first picture)
UBU again does wipe the connection and i can see how the old way of bypassing - can cause big issues once it doesn't accept "empty data" anymore
Although UBU patch does only clean one sector, but doesn't resolve the issue at all

At best we do want a whitelist method, soo every bios that is pushed through UBU is signed with an "always accepted" signing
It would already be helpful if once flashed, it does allow every asrock bios to be flashed normally with the same signing header
compared to the old method, which does boot up but then again triggers verification error on for example afuefi flashing

Yes, the only thing that needs to be figured out, is how long the signing field has to be in length
And if my method works
The signing capsule seems to be at the same place, and the modules seem to be one only (they are 3+1 capsule)
The lookup header has to stay intact tho, else people can brick flash their boards without any check (UBU does wipe it)
Just removing the main capsule GUID from the 4 locations that are responsible for signing check
or making an always accepted signed capsule (master-key) - should resolve any flashing issues we had with asrock boards :)

EDIT:
After having removed the ASRock Instant Flash protection by the UBU tool I found the code only 1x within the Intel Z170 BIOS, but 3x within the X570 one.
Soo on intels side it should be easy to resolve it
First one is always the main capsule header, 2nd one is just needs removale of the pointing to the capsule in order to bypass verification check
OR - we'll get the master-key method to work
But technically removing any link to the capsule should already be a fix
The question remains only - what we need to do, for ASRocks EZ Flash to accept new bioses
What's the capsules "always accepted" signature :thumb:

·
Overclock the World
1,984 Posts
Huh?
"New stamped", what is that supposed to mean?
There where 3rd gen ryzens without the bottom UG & UF stamp
and new batches which all where stamped at the bottom left corner

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #586
There where 3rd gen ryzens without the bottom UG & UF stamp
and new batches which all where stamped at the bottom left corner
I've never seen one without it, not even a PR (similar to QS) CPU.

I assume the stamping has no other significance besides being either the logo of the company who either assembles the CPUs or provides the blank heatspreaders to AMD.

·
Overclock the World
1,984 Posts
I've never seen one without it, not even a PR (similar to QS) CPU.

I assume the stamping has no other significance besides being either the logo of the company who either assembles the CPUs or provides the blank heatspreaders to AMD.
Hmm, i wish i could share some better data except just words
But i've seen non stamped batches :eek:
Always was curious about UF and UG meaning :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
i was updating my bios and my pc turned off during the update my pc is not turning on.
I have a msi b350m pro vdh motherboard
It does not have a bios button i went to a local repair shop and he said that the bios can be flashed back to some "motherboard chip" but he doesn't have a bin file of the bios he said that he needed that file for the usb programmer. It would be greatly appreciated if someone can provide me with this bios bin file for the msi b350m pro vdh motherboard.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #589
i was updating my bios and my pc turned off during the update my pc is not turning on.
I have a msi b350m pro vdh motherboard
It does not have a bios button i went to a local repair shop and he said that the bios can be flashed back to some "motherboard chip" but he doesn't have a bin file of the bios he said that he needed that file for the usb programmer. It would be greatly appreciated if someone can provide me with this bios bin file for the msi b350m pro vdh motherboard.
It is available at MSI site: https://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7A38vAJQ.zip

E7A38AMS.AJQ file inside the archive, is the ready to be used binary.

·
King Dingeling
40 Posts
Demonstration Tutorial
The tool supports several programmers, as well as flashing GPU ROMs

Typically you do
dir
first, before you even try any command
- to know what you have to type, as there is no TAB Autocomplete sadly :)

Code:
flashrom -p internal -r BACKUP.BIN
Should be used in the first place
Not only do you backup NVRAM, GUID, Board Serial & current Presets
But you also Test if your Flashchip can be read,
before going the vague way of erasing and trying to write to it
Overall always do it the first time when you try it on a new board :thumb:

Keep your filenames at 8 digits max :)
We don't have TAB Support and you don't want guessing your filename
MS-DOS does support random USB removable, if you ever worry about your stick dying midflash / or you messed up your names and want to correct
But dont't count on it to reinitialise, as the files are preloaded into RAM

Code:
flashrom -p internal -w filename.bin
This command Erases & Writes your bios (be it whatever extension) to your board

The flashing process all-together takes about 5-15min
The erasing progress for 16mb chips about 90sec

IF something Fails, let's say the stick dies mid flash and it errors out
- DO NOT cut power to the system :exclamati
Be sure to keep it running as long as you can, because it is able to support hotplug and the community can help you re-flash it from a 2nd USB
(in case your bios file was messed up and you need to correct something or it exceeds flash size)
Overall, keep it running and seek for help :exclamati
The Flashrom Page has an IIRC chat, OCN is here
- just never turn off a system after erased but failed flash ;)

Flashing Manual <- because -h page in ms-dos is not scroll-able :D
At the end, cold boot your system (PSU off)
often it can happen that even after SPI flash, the bios was preloaded
- soo cutting power is recommended :)

+rep @The Stilt
~ it does work flawlessly, lazy me doens't have to use the EVC2 on another notebook and crawl under the desk to attach :specool:
Is it possible to flash the original bios from the asus rog strix x470-f gaming whit this method? I had the newest bios version, but I had installed the mod bios for my board. Than I went back to the backup bios. All fine, but when I start the pc only when the pc is complete off, than the windows shutter and the sound ist crazy. I can only shut it off whit the power button. After this the pc runs normal.

·
Overclock the World
1,984 Posts
Is it possible to flash the original bios from the asus rog strix x470-f gaming whit this method? I had the newest bios version, but I had installed the mod bios for my board. Than I went back to the backup bios. All fine, but when I start the pc only when the pc is complete off, than the windows shutter and the sound ist crazy. I can only shut it off whit the power button. After this the pc runs normal.
Just to clarify,
You where on bios A, used afuefi to flash bios B and then with afugan flashed mod_B ?
Or did you directly only use afugan to flash from old bios A to mod_B ?
Did you only use flashrom to wipe and flash the mod_B ?

You went down a bios version, how did you do that exactly
If I understand that correctly you did follow the 1usmus bios mod thread, meaning you used afuefi first ?
Or was all done purely with flashrom

Did you CMOS reset directly after the flash ?
Did you have boot up issues the first time you flashed mod_B ?

It doesn't sound like, the biosmod was the main issue, but its known that Asus boards do have their own ext controller with external firmware
Taking for example the cross hair lineup, or any Asus board with USB flashback support
Something you can not flash with flashrom and also not with afuefi or afugan

Edit:
The answer is yes, but if your board has USB flashback support
Use that, as it will update the ext controller firmware too
Only using flashrom on that specific usecase, can lead to strange bugs
Although flashrom does wipe the whole romchip
The issue would be then more on asus's side :)

·
Tinker
10 Posts
asus rog gl702zc

I am not sure if this is the best place to put this. I am looking for help with getting or finding out what needs to be updated to add 2nd or 3rd gen ryzen support to the asus gl702zc laptop it is socketed and I have modded the bios to open up the menus but the goal is to get a new gen cpu in to it. I do have a SPI programer and would be happy to test on it. It is a b350 chipset and here is a link to the current bios for and would be happy to provide a backup of my current modded bios if needed. https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Strix-GL702ZC/HelpDesk_BIOS/

·
Registered
57 Posts
After reconnecting the USB

If you are unable to "access" with Rufus and,
disk management "drive letter and path" is not working

Try Diskpart

Code:
cmd
diskpart
list Volum
sel Volum 3(select USB)
assign letter=E(any letter)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, im new here, but was sent by a user on the LTT fourm to ask about a bios for a B250m Bazooka motherboard. The bios archives I have been able to find don't seem to have bioses for b350 and newer, and then older hardware, in the 4th gen Intel area.

bassically, iI was wanting to run my memory at full speed (it's a XPG ADATA 2x8gb 2800mhz kit), but I am locked to 2400mhz. @ShrimpBrime on the LTT fourms said that you would be the only person he knew that could help me.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #597
Hi, im new here, but was sent by a user on the LTT fourm to ask about a bios for a B250m Bazooka motherboard. The bios archives I have been able to find don't seem to have bioses for b350 and newer, and then older hardware, in the 4th gen Intel area.

bassically, iI was wanting to run my memory at full speed (it's a XPG ADATA 2x8gb 2800mhz kit), but I am locked to 2400mhz. @ShrimpBrime on the LTT fourms said that you would be the only person he knew that could help me.

Thanks!
Unfortunately, what you're asking is impossible.
The memory frequency limit is enforced by the ME firmware, based on the PCH variant that is present.
Increasing it above the frequency allowed by the ME is just as impossible as would be unlocking a locked CPU multiplier.

Sorry :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately, what you're asking is impossible.
The memory frequency limit is enforced by the ME firmware, based on the PCH variant that is present.
Increasing it above the frequency allowed by the ME is just as impossible as would be unlocking a locked CPU multiplier.

Sorry :(
Ok, thanks anyways!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, I am a 2700X + ASUS Strix X470-F Gaming user on BIOS version 4804, but am considering an upgrade to the newer CPUs. I also am stuck on DOCP RAM timings and am thinking of using the RAM Calculator but it gives me values that my BIOS cannot take in. Should I update to these BIOSes or stay put?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I decided to put these under a separate thread, since there are already quite many bioses available.

File naming: Original bios build (version), M = modified, FI (4649 ASCII, i.e. SMU 46.49).
Besides the actual SMU FW, these files also contain up to date PSP, PMU (IMC) FWs, bootloaders and decryption keys, depending on their original state (some already had them).

ASROCK

ASROCK B450 Pro4 - 3.60MFI
ASROCK B450 Fatal1ty Gaming-ITX/ac - 3.50MFI
ASROCK B450M Pro 4 - 3.60MFI
ASROCK B450M Steel Legend - 2.70MFI
ASROCK X470 Master SLI - 3.50MFI
ASROCK X470 Master SLI/ac - 3.50MFI
ASROCK X470 TAICHI - 3.60MFI

Recommended update method for the board(s) above: Flashrom

ASUS

CROSSHAIR VI HERO - 0002MFI
CROSSHAIR VI HERO WI-FI - 0002MFI
CROSSHAIR VI Extreme - 0003MFI
CROSSHAIR VII HERO - 0002MFI
CROSSHAIR VII HERO WI-FI - 0002MFI

Recommended update method for the board(s) above: USB Flashback

Strix B350-F Gaming - 5216MFI
Strix B350-I Gaming - 5216MFI
Strix B450-E Gaming - 2704MFI
Strix X370-I Gaming - 5204MFI
Strix X470-F Gaming - 5216MFI
TUF X470-Plus Gaming - 5216MFI

Recommended update method for the board(s) above: Flashrom

BIOSTAR

BIOSTAR Racing X570GT8 - 730MFI

Recommended update method for the board(s) above: Biostar Bios Update Utility

GIGABYTE

GIGABYTE X370 GAMING K3 - F42AMFI
GIGABYTE X370 AORUS GAMING 5 - F42BMFI
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI - F42AMFI
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING - F42AMFI

Recommended update method for the board(s) above: Modified Efiflash or Flashrom

MSI

MSI B350I PRO AC - 1CMMFI
MSI B350 Tomahawk - 1OMMFI
MSI B350M BAZOOKA - 1LMMFI
MSI B350M GAMING PRO - 2NMMFI
MSI B350M MORTAR - 1MMMFI
MSI B350M MORTAR ARCTIC - AKMMFI
MSI B350M PRO-VDH - AJMMFI
MSI X370 GAMING M7 ACK - 1FMMFI
MSI X370 GAMING PRO - 4IMMFI
MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON - 1NPMFI
MSI X370 KRAIT GAMING - 1JMMFI
MSI X370 SLI PLUS - 3JMMFI
MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM - 1MMMFI
MSI B450 GAMING PLUS - 1B0MFI
MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC - 190MFI
MSI B450-A PRO - AA0MFI
MSI B450M GAMING PLUS - 190MFI
MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM - A9MFI
MSI B450M MORTAR - 1B1MFI
MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC - A90MFI
MSI B450 Tomahawk - 1C1MFI
MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX - 331MFI
MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC - 1B0MFI
MSI X470 GAMING PLUS - AE1MFI
MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX - H10MFI
MSI X470 GAMING PRO - 1C1MFI
MSI X470 GAMING PRO CARBON - 2B0MFI
MSI X470 GAMING PRO CARBON AC - 1B2MFI
MSI X570 Godlike - 140MFI

Recommended update method for the board(s) above: MSI M-Flash

In addition to these, there is a new way to update the bioses.
I have added Ryzen support to the Flashrom project and descriptions for some of the previously unsupported 1.8V NOR flashes, commonly used on AM4 motherboards.
It is almost certain that not all NOR flashes used on AM4 motherboards are currently supported however, adding the support for them is rather straightforward.

The advantage of using the custom Flashrom version is that, it not only ignores the bios protections present (secure flash) but it also can program 256Mb flashes (unlike AFUDOS, AFUEFI and AFUWin from AMI).

So far this Flashrom build has been only tested on ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII Formula motherboard.
Because of that, it would be a good idea for the users to try this application and see if there are any issues with unsupported flash parts.
It can be tested without any actual programming, meaning there is no risk in corrupting the bios.

Flashrom runs in DOS (MS-DOS, NOT FreeDOS, etc) so there are couple steps that are required to set up that environment.

Flashrom 1.1 with Ryzen support

Windows 7 and Windows 8 users:

• Download the portable version of the latest Rufus release: Rufus - The Official Website (Download, New Releases)
  • Connect a USB stick to the computer and launch Rufus.
  • Select the correct device from the "device" drop-down menu (the USB-stick) and select MS-DOS from the "Boot selection" drop-down menu.
  • Click start and wait the process to complete.
  • Extract the two .exe files found in FRZN.zip archive to the root of the USB stick.
  • Reboot the system and enter the bios. Under "Boot" tab make sure that CSM is enabled (if not, enable & save). Select the correct USB device from the boot override section (NOTE: NOT the one beginning with "UEFI:").
  • After the system has loaded DOS, you can type in "flashrom -p internal" command to check if the SPI controller and the flash part itself is being detected properly.

Windows 10 users:

Starting from Windows 10, Microsoft no longer supplies the files required by MS-DOS environment with the OS.
Because of that, there are couple additional things that are required to get around the issue. First, instead of using the normal version of Rufus, you need to use a version which have been modified in a way which prevents the app from hiding the "MS-DOS" option on Win 10 systems. Secondly, you need to download the required Dll, which contains the files that are no longer supplied with Windows 10. After downloading the Dll, you need to place it to the "Windows\System32" folder in the sysroot. Then you are able to create a MS-DOS bootable USB stick using the same instructions as for Windows 7 / Windows 8. The dll can be removed after the MS-DOS bootable drive has been created, since obviously it is not used by the Win 10 system.

• The modified version, which I have personally compiled from Git sources can be downloaded from this link: Rufus_3.8.1579_Win10_MSDOS-Mod
  • Since the required Dll file is property of Microsoft, I cannot share it. An untampered copy of the required diskcopy.dll file (e.g. on my system) has SHA-1 checksum of 6761320C6CDC0870D1DF62C2C988A8D1622CBC6E and it can be found from third party sites (such as this: diskcopy.dll from WinPCWare) through Googling the SHA-1 hash. But as I said, you can get the file from other locations / sources as well as long as you make sure its clean.

Note: DOS requires the filenames to meet the 8.3 naming format. This means that the filename "xxxx." cannot be longer than 8 characters, and that the suffix ".xxx" cannot be longer than three characters.

So if you have the time to try the new flasher, please do so.
That way we can see if there are any flash parts that need to be added to the program.

The program will state: "Found xxx flash chip "xxx" (xxx kB, SPI) mapped at physical address 0xfe000000" if the flash is detected.
Otherwise the flash part isn't detected and needs to be added. In this case, please take a picture of the message the program outputs and post it to this threads inside "Spoiler" tags.

The custom Flashrom version has been tested on 3000-series Ryzen CPUs, but it should work on all Ryzen generations regardless.

GPL compliance

Hi thanks for the guide, I got stuck at the last part when Flash gets detected, I am not sure what's next! ^^

581 - 600 of 614 Posts