Overclock.net banner

601 - 614 of 614 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can we unlock 4.th gen APU chips with same approach?
Some vendors (AsRock) released 4.th gen support for A300 Chipset (Deskmini A300) as Beta (and they pull back, due AMD!)
Might be we could use this to use 4000 series APU on 300/400 series boards from now.
(I got the BIOS file for inspection.)

@The Stilt ??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I wanted to take a backup of my stock BIOS, but I'm greeted with flashrom errors. I'm using Stilt's flashrom 1.1 for Ryzen (from 1st post), my system is an ASUS TUF A520M-PLUS + Ryzen Pro 4650G. Error message says:
[...] FCH device found, but SMBus revision 0x51 does not match [...] continuing anyway \n No EEPROM/flash device found.

BIOS chip is a Macronix MX25U25673G (similar to MX25U25645G?).

//Edit: I have imported Stilt's flashrom Ryzen changes into a new git branch (https://github.com/tolga9009/flashrom/tree/ryzen). Running flashrom natively on Linux, I get "Found Macronix flash chip "unknown Macronix SPI chip" (0 kB, SPI) mapped at physical address 0x0000000000000000.", but the DOS flashrom.exe works. I will tinker around a bit and see, if I can get somewhere.

//Edit2: I have added Revision 0x51 to sb600spi.c, cross-compiled for DOS and it worked! The MX25U25673G got recognized as MX25U25635F. Made 3 backups, all 3 are identical. I'm a bit unsure though, if these are 100% valid dumps. UEFITool can browse through it, but complains as follows:

parseGuidedSectionHeader: processing required bit set for GUIDed section with unknown GUID
parseSections: non-UEFI data found in sections area
parseGuidedSectionHeader: processing required bit set for GUIDed section with unknown GUID
parse: not a single Volume Top File is found, the image may be corrupted

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, I wanted to take a backup of my stock BIOS, but I'm greeted with flashrom errors. I'm using Stilt's flashrom 1.1 for Ryzen (from 1st post), my system is an ASUS TUF A520M-PLUS + Ryzen Pro 4650G. Error message says:
[...] FCH device found, but SMBus revision 0x51 does not match [...] continuing anyway \n No EEPROM/flash device found.

BIOS chip is a Macronix MX25U25673G (similar to MX25U25645G?).

//Edit: I have imported Stilt's flashrom Ryzen changes into a new git branch (https://github.com/tolga9009/flashrom/tree/ryzen). Running flashrom natively on Linux, I get "Found Macronix flash chip "unknown Macronix SPI chip" (0 kB, SPI) mapped at physical address 0x0000000000000000.", but the DOS flashrom.exe works. I will tinker around a bit and see, if I can get somewhere.

//Edit2: I have added Revision 0x51 to sb600spi.c, cross-compiled for DOS and it worked! The MX25U25673G got recognized as MX25U25635F. Made 3 backups, all 3 are identical. I'm a bit unsure though, if these are 100% valid dumps. UEFITool can browse through it, but complains as follows:

parse: not a single Volume Top File is found, the image may be corrupted
Hi Tolga!
I have Ryzen B350 board with W25Q128FW flashchip and able to read my BIOS with your ryzen tree, at last. Thank you.

Comparing to the BIOS file I actually used to flash the BIOS, using the wxHexEditor binary comparison tool, I saw that there are many, many different regions. Most of them at VARiable region that store user configuration variables but, I suspect from 3 single bit error at different regions that might not need to be not changed. For example 0xC0 became 0xE0 after read, or 0xF8 became 0xF0 and 0x01 became 0x00...
I make read 2 times and result with same MD5. So bios has been altered by itself OR there are some errors on the code, due waiting times etc...
I ordered some spare BIOS chips from China, waiting for delivery. After that, I can use that flash chips and found if it's flashing/reading proper or not without put my system into risk :)

Also found that, there are some other data like stored RAM SPD at BIOS dump at my AsRock board. (Hey I don't know that before!) This also might be create incompatibility at UBU/non-Uefi...

Bests,
Erdem

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glad it worked for you aswell!

Across multiple boots, I also get slightly differing reads, but that's perfectly fine. It's limited to NVRAM content updates and reflects changes such as Boot Order or the OS writing random stuff to it. The other, more relevant modules should be identical and intact.

Instead of additional BIOS chips, I would've suggested you get your hands on those 10$ CH341A + 1.8V + clip bundles, in case you want to tinker more around. If you're in a recovery situation, the CH341A gets you up in no time. Many AM4 boards already have an SPI header (proprietary pinout), which you can use to securely wire up your flasher. I built a cable for mine: https://preview.redd.it/mu7m675m369...bp&s=a18ae76b930b47180fca6b2f55334338bf5321bc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad it worked for you aswell!

Across multiple boots, I also get slightly differing reads, but that's perfectly fine. It's limited to NVRAM content updates and reflects changes such as Boot Order or the OS writing random stuff to it. The other, more relevant modules should be identical and intact.

Instead of additional BIOS chips, I would've suggested you get your hands on those 10$ CH341A + 1.8V + clip bundles, in case you want to tinker more around. If you're in a recovery situation, the CH341A gets you up in no time. Many AM4 boards already have an SPI header (proprietary pinout), which you can use to securely wire up your flasher. I built a cable for mine: https://preview.redd.it/mu7m675m369...bp&s=a18ae76b930b47180fca6b2f55334338bf5321bc
I don't know if it's common that AM4 boards has SPI headers for that. Even if my MB has (I don't know), it probably allows 1.8v only. Thanks for tip.

I paid 5x chips $5 and it became cheaper. :)
I have many tools for program SPI chips. (STLink-v2, Jlink Segger, Arduino, ESP8266, ESP32, USBTiny... ) But none of them working with 1.8v (I think). Also I need second device to program it. Fortunately, my MB bios chip has a socket clip. So It's much easier to swap BIOS chips physically, even if PC is powered on. Since your program is already read/writes the chips, who need another device just for flashing 1.8v NORs :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are there any plans to upstream the Ryzen patch to mainline flashrom? I manually patched and recompiled and was able to backup my bios from Linux (which is much easier than using a DOS bootdisk)

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes the patch is basically that plus this:
Code:
RZN32BM = mmio_readb(sb600_spibar + 0x50) & 0x1;
which is checked in spi25.c
Code:
if (!spi_master_4ba(flash) && RZN32BM != 1)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

So have the X470 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7B78) with a Ryzen 2700x and Kingston 16GB Ram - 3200mhz kit .
I had this system for over a year now and I was able to overclock my ram to 3200 in older bios (can't remember the version ).

Ever since I updated my bios to the latest one , I ended up not being able to overclock my ram to 3200mhz , I tried both , XMP and manual OC and nothing worked .
I rolled back to older bioses , same outcome ...

So I tried the modded one here - MSI X470 GAMING PRO CARBON - 2B0MFI and still encountering the same issue using XMP .
I am fairly new to PC building world and I would appreciate if you guys assist me .

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I decided to put these under a separate thread, since there are already quite many bioses available.

File naming: Original bios build (version), M = modified, FI (4649 ASCII, i.e. SMU 46.49).
Besides the actual SMU FW, these files also contain up to date PSP, PMU (IMC) FWs, bootloaders and decryption keys, depending on their original state (some already had them).

ASROCK

ASROCK B450 Pro4 - 3.60MFI
ASROCK B450 Fatal1ty Gaming-ITX/ac - 3.50MFI
ASROCK B450M Pro 4 - 3.60MFI
ASROCK B450M Steel Legend - 2.70MFI
ASROCK X470 Master SLI - 3.50MFI
ASROCK X470 Master SLI/ac - 3.50MFI
ASROCK X470 TAICHI - 3.60MFI

Recommended update method for the board(s) above: Flashrom

ASUS

CROSSHAIR VI HERO - 0002MFI
CROSSHAIR VI HERO WI-FI - 0002MFI
CROSSHAIR VI Extreme - 0003MFI
CROSSHAIR VII HERO - 0002MFI
CROSSHAIR VII HERO WI-FI - 0002MFI

Recommended update method for the board(s) above: USB Flashback

Strix B350-F Gaming - 5216MFI
Strix B350-I Gaming - 5216MFI
Strix B450-E Gaming - 2704MFI
Strix X370-I Gaming - 5204MFI
Strix X470-F Gaming - 5216MFI
TUF X470-Plus Gaming - 5216MFI

Recommended update method for the board(s) above: Flashrom

BIOSTAR

BIOSTAR Racing X570GT8 - 730MFI

Recommended update method for the board(s) above: Biostar Bios Update Utility

GIGABYTE

GIGABYTE X370 GAMING K3 - F42AMFI
GIGABYTE X370 AORUS GAMING 5 - F42BMFI
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI - F42AMFI
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING - F42AMFI

Recommended update method for the board(s) above: Modified Efiflash or Flashrom

MSI

MSI B350I PRO AC - 1CMMFI
MSI B350 Tomahawk - 1OMMFI
MSI B350M BAZOOKA - 1LMMFI
MSI B350M GAMING PRO - 2NMMFI
MSI B350M MORTAR - 1MMMFI
MSI B350M MORTAR ARCTIC - AKMMFI
MSI B350M PRO-VDH - AJMMFI
MSI X370 GAMING M7 ACK - 1FMMFI
MSI X370 GAMING PRO - 4IMMFI
MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON - 1NPMFI
MSI X370 KRAIT GAMING - 1JMMFI
MSI X370 SLI PLUS - 3JMMFI
MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM - 1MMMFI
MSI B450 GAMING PLUS - 1B0MFI
MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC - 190MFI
MSI B450-A PRO - AA0MFI
MSI B450M GAMING PLUS - 190MFI
MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM - A9MFI
MSI B450M MORTAR - 1B1MFI
MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC - A90MFI
MSI B450 Tomahawk - 1C1MFI
MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX - 331MFI
MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC - 1B0MFI
MSI X470 GAMING PLUS - AE1MFI
MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX - H10MFI
MSI X470 GAMING PRO - 1C1MFI
MSI X470 GAMING PRO CARBON - 2B0MFI
MSI X470 GAMING PRO CARBON AC - 1B2MFI
MSI X570 Godlike - 140MFI

Recommended update method for the board(s) above: MSI M-Flash

In addition to these, there is a new way to update the bioses.
I have added Ryzen support to the Flashrom project and descriptions for some of the previously unsupported 1.8V NOR flashes, commonly used on AM4 motherboards.
It is almost certain that not all NOR flashes used on AM4 motherboards are currently supported however, adding the support for them is rather straightforward.

The advantage of using the custom Flashrom version is that, it not only ignores the bios protections present (secure flash) but it also can program 256Mb flashes (unlike AFUDOS, AFUEFI and AFUWin from AMI).

So far this Flashrom build has been only tested on ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII Formula motherboard.
Because of that, it would be a good idea for the users to try this application and see if there are any issues with unsupported flash parts.
It can be tested without any actual programming, meaning there is no risk in corrupting the bios.

Flashrom runs in DOS (MS-DOS, NOT FreeDOS, etc) so there are couple steps that are required to set up that environment.

Flashrom 1.1 with Ryzen support

Windows 7 and Windows 8 users:

• Download the portable version of the latest Rufus release: Rufus - The Official Website (Download, New Releases)
  • Connect a USB stick to the computer and launch Rufus.
  • Select the correct device from the "device" drop-down menu (the USB-stick) and select MS-DOS from the "Boot selection" drop-down menu.
  • Click start and wait the process to complete.
  • Extract the two .exe files found in FRZN.zip archive to the root of the USB stick.
  • Reboot the system and enter the bios. Under "Boot" tab make sure that CSM is enabled (if not, enable & save). Select the correct USB device from the boot override section (NOTE: NOT the one beginning with "UEFI:").
  • After the system has loaded DOS, you can type in "flashrom -p internal" command to check if the SPI controller and the flash part itself is being detected properly.

Windows 10 users:

Starting from Windows 10, Microsoft no longer supplies the files required by MS-DOS environment with the OS.
Because of that, there are couple additional things that are required to get around the issue. First, instead of using the normal version of Rufus, you need to use a version which have been modified in a way which prevents the app from hiding the "MS-DOS" option on Win 10 systems. Secondly, you need to download the required Dll, which contains the files that are no longer supplied with Windows 10. After downloading the Dll, you need to place it to the "Windows\System32" folder in the sysroot. Then you are able to create a MS-DOS bootable USB stick using the same instructions as for Windows 7 / Windows 8. The dll can be removed after the MS-DOS bootable drive has been created, since obviously it is not used by the Win 10 system.

• The modified version, which I have personally compiled from Git sources can be downloaded from this link: Rufus_3.8.1579_Win10_MSDOS-Mod
  • Since the required Dll file is property of Microsoft, I cannot share it. An untampered copy of the required diskcopy.dll file (e.g. on my system) has SHA-1 checksum of 6761320C6CDC0870D1DF62C2C988A8D1622CBC6E and it can be found from third party sites (such as this: diskcopy.dll from WinPCWare) through Googling the SHA-1 hash. But as I said, you can get the file from other locations / sources as well as long as you make sure its clean.

Note: DOS requires the filenames to meet the 8.3 naming format. This means that the filename "xxxx." cannot be longer than 8 characters, and that the suffix ".xxx" cannot be longer than three characters.

So if you have the time to try the new flasher, please do so.
That way we can see if there are any flash parts that need to be added to the program.

The program will state: "Found xxx flash chip "xxx" (xxx kB, SPI) mapped at physical address 0xfe000000" if the flash is detected.
Otherwise the flash part isn't detected and needs to be added. In this case, please take a picture of the message the program outputs and post it to this threads inside "Spoiler" tags.

The custom Flashrom version has been tested on 3000-series Ryzen CPUs, but it should work on all Ryzen generations regardless.

GPL compliance

Flashrom works fine using RUFUS FreeDOS for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So if I'm reading this correctly, I can flash my Asrock B350 Fatality Gaming ITX with the B450 Fatality Gaming ITX BIOS located in the OP to convert my B350 mobo to a B450? Is that correct?

·
Registered
8 Posts
So if I'm reading this correctly, I can flash my Asrock B350 Fatality Gaming ITX with the B450 Fatality Gaming ITX BIOS located in the OP to convert my B350 mobo to a B450? Is that correct?
I just read on one forum, for another MB. It's "not impossible". And not yet tried. Also there are some news that some x370 MB runs Zen3 cores already with modded biosses.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Meanwhile I have successfullly flashed myself a modded 32MB sized X570 BIOS by using the Flashrom tool on a FREEDOS image and without diskcopy.dll file.
Attached is the related picture about the procedure.
You get the message 'delay-loop in unreliable' in Freedos..that will not happen in MS-DOS..not sure if it matters ;)

601 - 614 of 614 Posts