Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at graphics cards and it said graphics cards designed to fit PCI-express and PCI slots, the next one said, graphics cards to fit AGP 4x/8x
could someone explain this to me please, Be very much appreciated

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
APG- Accellerated graffics port. only used for grafficds cards, they transmit at 8x and 4x. PCI express used for graffics cards too, they can x-mit at 16x.

pci-x is newer, but AGP is still potent. the two aren't compatible, so you can't stick an AGP card into a pci-x slot, either.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all motherboards come with the AGP slot, and the PCI slot? its deciding which one to put them in?

Which would be a good graphics card for both video editing and Gaming,To work on this motherboard (Asus P4C800-E Deluxe "Canterwood" (Socket 478) Motherboard (MB-029-AS)

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
no, not all of them. the new ABIT fatal1ty doesen't need an AGP slot, you put your PCI-express graffics card into the PCI-E slot. many boards still do, though. you'll never see an agp slot and a PCI-e slot on the same board, however.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspire

all motherboards come with the AGP slot, and the PCI slot? its deciding which one to put them in?

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Quote:

Which would be a good graphics card for both video editing and Gaming,To work on this motherboard (Asus P4C800-E Deluxe "Canterwood" (Socket 478) Motherboard (MB-029-AS)

RE: second question, you're gonna have AGP 8x, so stay in this forum and start a new thread asking what the best AGP card is for your budget, tell them you have AGP 8x.

·
Banned
4,410 Posts
Quote:

I don't know if I am reading this wrong but there is a difference between a PCI SLOT and a PCI-EXPRESS and no not all MoBo's come with AGP and not all come with PCI-E.........but all come with REGULAR PCI

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
yeah, ALL motherboards comes with at least one, most around 3-4 PCI slots, this is where you put regular expansion cards such as lan card/modems/usb cards

an AGP doesnt come with ALL motherboards but most, its the most common type of graphics port, the top on above all the pci slots on a motherboard, for video cards only

a PCI-E (pci-express) is a new type of video card port that gives more power to the slot for better graphics performance, still new and not the common port.. AGP goes as high as 8x and PCI-E is 16x (more power)

however, you can buy a PCI video card but they are rare and not used very often, they dont perform very well because of the lack of power given to a PCI slot

understand now ??

·
Registered
133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATVkid*AFZ*

no, not all of them. the new ABIT fatal1ty doesen't need an AGP slot, you put your PCI-express graffics card into the PCI-E slot. many boards still do, though. you'll never see an agp slot and a PCI-e slot on the same board, however.

ECS makes a motherboard which has pci-e and agp both on same board. THis is so far the only one i have seen making a dual card mobo.

·
Registered
712 Posts
good thing to clarify is that PCI, AGP, and PCIE are all different types of slots and are all incompatible with each other. if you try to put the wrong card in the wrong slot you will toast your hardware. I'll include pics of each type of slot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts