Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
This is news to me... i just may buy one... Though i do wanna rebuild everything and get a DX 10 card.

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok ok. Just making sure. It is a pretty great deal for this. My dad is gonna be pissed though--He just spent 200$ on an BFG 6800GS.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
what was wrong with AGP anyways? I know games don't even use the 8 lanes of AGP cards, let alone the 16 of PCIe

what are lanes anyways? and does it have to do with bandwidth? and transfer speeds?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Maybe its a plan by AMD / ATI to allow the older AGP mobos one more option
so many wont upgrade at this time to the new C2D!

Smart buisness, allows more time for AMD's newer platform to come out.

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PGT96AJT

I cant think of too many AGP based motherboards that can have a processor that won't be a bottleneck to that beast.

Any sk939 nForce3 mobo can have a FX60... so let's say you already have a 3700SD @3GHz on a DFI nF3 mobo... why on earth yould you want to change the mobo? Maybe if with the mobo you change the CPU and get a DC, the ram and get AM2, but then again for the most nF3 (or K8T880 pro) that already have a good CPU this upgrade isn't quite necesary.

Sorry if I was ruff or anything, but as long as with a 7300GT AGP I can go to almost 57k in AM3 and PCIexpress 2.0 is bound to come in a couple of months
why bother with PCIe? It's the same as that thing:
-First guy: What kind of memory do you think I should put on my X2 setup?
-Answear: Dude, get a conroe, it's sooo much better
-First guy: But I just want a memory advice
-Answear: But the C2D OCs so much better and pwnz the X2

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Wow that's very surprising.

I wonder if they're going to chunk AGP in DX10.

AGP is still very capable, 4x & 8x aren't even fully utilized.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thehybridpyro

what was wrong with AGP anyways? I know games don't even use the 8 lanes of AGP cards, let alone the 16 of PCIe

what are lanes anyways? and does it have to do with bandwidth? and transfer speeds?

Yea it's mostly bandwidth.

PCIe was mostly (if not all) for SLi and less connectors from the PSU.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
but isnt the 6pin an additional PSU connector?

but I agree, what this is possibly a AMD/ATI move to slow the C2D swich, becuase that card is a beast

·
Registered
364 Posts
how much more money would it be to buy a 75$ motherboard and the PCIe card

id rather just do that so what the hells the point?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
i heard that this is actually a rumor, from a miscommunication,
and there wont be a x1950, but there will be a x1650

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
The X1650 is crap in comparison to the X1950 from what I gather. AGP is still not fully Utilized, the 2.1 GB/s bandwidth it offers is still not fully utilized by the best AGP card on the current market. I believe the best on the market right now is the 7900 GS, seeing as how ATi doesn't have a better AGP card to offer (Again, only a guess coming from previous knowledge).

1 - 20 of 70 Posts