Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at some of the 2.5" enclocures for my 160Gb laptop SATA HDD I have extra after upgrading to a 7200 spin HDD. After looking around, I found a nice enclusure that also comes with a 3.5"/.5.25" desktop adapter mount. So the question is, with SATA set to RAID (I have RAID 0), are the SATA ports hot swappable?

Here is the enclosure in question:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817392011

This is all I can find on it ATM:

http://www.raid-data-recovery.net/ra...-swapping.html

Quote:
The hot swapping is done in almost all the available types of the RAID. The most of the available types of the RAID; support the concept of the hot swapping. The hot swapping can be even implemented in the IDE RAID, SCSI RAID, and also the SATA RAID. The concept of the hot swapping seems to be simple but at the time of the implementation is a bit difficult. The hot swapping can be even more complex process in the implementation of the different nested levels of the RAID. As it is considered that there are different levels in the RAID. The RAID levels may include the Single RAID Levels and the Multiple RAID Levels or also known as the nested RAID Levels.
But will it interfere with my RAID 0?

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
If you're running RAID 0, then hot swapping is completely irrelevant. You won't be doing it at all: If one drive fails, you lose everything.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by error10
View Post

If you're running RAID 0, then hot swapping is completely irrelevant. You won't be doing it at all: If one drive fails, you lose everything.

I'm not talking about the HDDs in RAID being unplugged.... There is no point in unpluging the HDDs the OS is loaded on anyways. The question is completely relevant. I will need to be able to plug in an adapter to allow a hot swapping external HDD (pictured above). With AHCI mode enabled, this isnt a problem. But with RAID enabled, all my SATA ports are in RAID mode. So does RAID allow hot swapping for an external drive?

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Oh, now that's different. I expect it would, since hot swapping is so useful in a RAID setup.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericeod
View Post

I'm not talking about the HDDs in RAID being unplugged.... There is no point in unpluging the HDDs the OS is loaded on anyways. The question is completely relevant. I will need to be able to plug in an adapter to allow a hot swapping external HDD (pictured above). With AHCI mode enabled, this isnt a problem. But with RAID enabled, all my SATA ports are in RAID mode. So does RAID allow hot swapping for an external drive?

On Intel chipsts, RAID mode is a superset of ACHI so it should allow hotswapping.

• Rep+
Reactions: ericeod

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have that exact enclosure, it will work with the ICH9r but it will lock the system up anywhere from 10-20 seconds.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ounderfla69
View Post

I have that exact enclosure, it will work with the ICH9r but it will lock the system up anywhere from 10-20 seconds.

Do you have AHCI enabled?

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
I hotswapped a DVD burner on my P5E Deluxe last weekend and it worked fine. But I'm running AHCI. I don't know if this helps you at all.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericeod
View Post

Do you have AHCI enabled?

I had it with Raid enable and I also used it with AHCI.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts