Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Banned
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
AT&T, Apple's original wireless carrier partner for the iPhone, announced on Friday that it had received more than 200,000 pre-orders for the iPhone 4S in the first 12 hours on offer, making it the most successful iPhone launch ever for the company.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/07/att_announces_record_200000_iphone_4s_pre_orders_in_first_12_hours.html

In related news:
Quote:
Apple sells out of iPhone 4S for Oct 14th delivery, now quoting 1-2 weeks
Just 24 hours after opening up pre-orders for the new iPhone 4S, Apple has rolled back expected shipping times for the device from expected delivery on the Oct. 14th launch date to an estimate of 1-2 weeks.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/08/apple_sells_out_of_iphone_4s_for_oct_14th_delivery_now_quoting_1_2_weeks.html

Some stumble.

·
I lieks teh cheese
2,097 Posts
Haha, you must be a fool if you think this was a stumble
wink.gif

·
Registered
991 Posts
Amazing how you can take away a G slap an S on it and resell the thing then get 200k+ pre-orders when only a few "new" features are equipped with this one... The could've made an update for the "new" features except for the camera of course.

·
PC Evangelist
47,495 Posts
This is very SAD and i am disappointed in Humanity.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
We can sit here and argue about how bad Apple is and all those bad things but at the end of the day, they're making a fortune from their products.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhRe4k;15227035
Oh please, stop whining
tongue.gif
OCN members are some of the biggest babies I've ever dealt with
smile.gif
It's the truth. What benefit do most users even get upgrading to the 4S? Nothing. 99.99999999% of American's don't even know what a CPU/GPU is, and they don't care. They just want it so they can brag to their friends and family that they have a newer model of the phone.

I bet Apple could put the same CPU that they put into the iPhone 3G into the iPhone 5 and it will still sell like crazy.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoK C89;15227058
Wow and at ~$200 per phone to make, now that's profiting!
Considering the carriers subsidize the phone, yes it is.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhRe4k;15226985
No different than most android phones if you think about it, and nobody cries about that
tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappycoreDJ;15227115
You mean like every Android phone released?
I don't understand what you mean. What android phone refreshed itself with the same physical look/dimensions, touting new features that the old model will also get with a software update.

I do see the value in the hardware spec boost but they're not significant enough to explain the demand for the device. So many members are pointing out that brand power/ marketing sold this phone and i believe its a significant factor.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
People are complaining that the iPhone 4S doesn't fit like a brick in your pocket.
"zomg it doesn't have a 4-inch+ screen".
Screen size is a preference.

·
Gamer
1,359 Posts
I would love to see the gaming performance if I upgraded my 3GS to this!
I get quite the lag in chaos online doing pvp battles with spells flying all over the place! I need some performance benchmarks!

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhRe4k;15227142
Stopped reading right there.

Actually the iphone 4S will have pretty damn good specs, comparable cpu to all the high end android phones and a gpu that is better than anything out for smartphones. So yeah, I would consider "jumping boats" for a device like this
tongue.gif
Then you should have continued. I included the word "most" in there for a reason. Again, 99.99999999999999999999999% of American's don't care what is inside of the phone. Now go back a page and read it again.

·
Banned
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncMaster753;15227157
I do see the value in the hardware spec boost but they're not significant enough to explain the demand for the device. So many members are pointing out that brand power/ marketing sold this phone and i believe its a significant factor.
You're forgetting how long its been since Apple last released a phone. Many many people were due for their 2 year upgrade. THAT's where the demand is coming from. Heck I'm still on a 3GS that I got ~23 months ago. People like me are the ones who skipped the 4 because we weren't in our window yet. And since Apple waited so long for the next release, that many more people became eligible.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I got the 4S because I was eligible for a full upgrade.
AT&T's Android selection isn't too impressive, so I got another iPhone.

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,397 Posts
iPhone 3xx to iPhone 4x makes sense. But going from iPhone 4 to 4S makes no sense to me at least.

But well done Apple.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts