Overclock.net banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I noticed something big today, I was messing around in my bios and I turned on VT*d and then I ran the Aida64 memory benchmark and it was very low, in the 35000Mbs write, read and copy, which leads me to believe it has something to do with virtualization settings I applied some time over the past few months, only which is the question. For instance I can't change the settings in device security -> Core Isolation -> Memory Integrity ( it's greyed out ) I can't change it on or off, it's currently set to ON. And Firmware Protection is set to OFF, also greyed out and can't be changed. Not sure if it has anything to do with anything.

·
Just hangin' out
1,590 Posts
What is an IOL ?

Side question: I TPM and bitlocker enabled and how would that effect me reinstalling windows ? Would it be straight up USB mount and install from USB Tumb Drive or would the bitlocker get in the way ?
I/O Latency.

Have read here on OCN that 7/7/7/7 is best values.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I noticed something big today, I was messing around in my bios and I turned on VT*d and then I ran the Aida64 memory benchmark and it was very low, in the 35000Mbs write, read and copy, which leads me to believe it has something to do with virtualization settings I applied some time over the past few months, only which is the question. For instance I can't change the settings in device security -> Core Isolation -> Memory Integrity ( it's greyed out ) I can't change it on or off, it's currently set to ON. And Firmware Protection is set to OFF, also greyed out and can't be changed. Not sure if it has anything to do with anything.
Turning on Core-isolation or memory integrity will definitely reduced overall system performance. There are plenty of tests that shows performance impact from having those settings enabled.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Turning on Core-isolation or memory integrity will definitely reduced overall system performance. There are plenty of tests that shows performance impact from having those settings enabled.
Yes I know but the problem is I can't turn off Core Isolation -> Memory integrity , it's greyed out and says only an administrator can make the changes, I am the administrator so there is that. So that's it, thats the solution to my problem, the Core Isolation -> Memory Integrity turned on, and I can't turn it off because it says Only an Administrator can turn it off, I am the administrator thus the problem, I am stuck.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
If your RAM is fine in Safe Mode, it just means that ordinary PC use has congested the OS and background programs are pulling down performance.
Not much you can do besides optimizing your PC, or doing a reset. Disable startup programs, uninstall junk.

• Rep+
Reactions: Raphie

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
If your RAM is fine in Safe Mode, it just means that ordinary PC use has congested the OS and background programs are pulling down performance.
Not much you can do besides optimizing your PC, or doing a reset. Disable startup programs, uninstall junk.
I have a feeling that Core Isolation -> Memory integrity is the cause of my issue, if I could get it to turn off my ram speed would go back to normal.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have a feeling that Core Isolation -> Memory integrity is the cause of my issue, if I could get it to turn off my ram speed would go back to normal.
That's what it is. I was reading the thread wondering if you had found the solution
I had the same problem a while ago

·
Registered
525 Posts
How did you solve it ?
Turned it off lol. I think the performance penalty is intrinsic.
If you need the added security for a few things you can dual boot and encrypt the OS drive with core isolation/memory integrity enabled

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Turned it off lol. I think the performance penalty is intrinsic.
If you need the added security for a few things you can dual boot and encrypt the OS drive with core isolation/memory integrity enabled
Easier said then done, ever time I turn it off, and reboot, it turns itself right back on. I can't turn the ######## thing off.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Easier said then done, ever time I turn it off, and reboot, it turns itself right back on. I can't turn the ######## thing off.
If you don't use VM's turn off virtualization in the BIOS. That'll take care of it

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thing is, his RAM shouldnt be doing that regardless of a default BIOS configuration. To give a comparison, here is mine which does fluctuate a little between tests.

View attachment 2561939
No, it should be. It's unfortunate, but a 20%+ reduction in performance is normal

·
Registered
525 Posts
I turned off VT-D, is there any other virtualization option in my bios I am not seeing ? I am running a Aorus z390 pro wifi View attachment 2561843
Once you get all the virtualization options disabled in the BIOS, you will find Core Isolation and the associated Memory Integrity disabled in Windows

I had a Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro WiFi ITX board before my MSI MPG z390 Gaming Plus, but it's been 2/3rds of a year since it broke, so I can't remember all the BIOS settings anymore.

My current board has two: Intel VT-d and Intel Virtualization Technology. VT-d is (obviously) VT-d, and I think Intel Virtualization Technology is VT-x. If you don't see any more options in your BIOS that are obviously related to virtualization, you probably got it.

VT-d is Intel's more more fully featured version of virtualization and is only available on some CPUs - usually not i3 and some i5s. I think VT-x is on all of them (or very close to it, maybe excepting certain old Atoms). I'm 98% sure that VT-x is the version you need to disable, and it can be enabled on CPUs which support VT-d but have VT-d disabled.

So yeah, check if it's disabled already. If it is, you're good. If not, look for more virtualization options

·
Registered
525 Posts
Here is my RAM with Core Isolation/Memory Integrity off:
Font Electronic device Screenshot Software Multimedia

And here it's on:
Font Screenshot Electronic device Software Multimedia

Here is the box that pops up before the memory benchmark will run if you have Core Isolation and Memory Integrity or Core Isolation, Memory Integrity and Hyper-V enabled:
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

First I enabled Core Isolation/Memory Integrity without Hyper-V, then installed it. The results I got with and without Hyper-V were the same, so I didn't include screenshots. The benefit from having Core Isolation/Memory Integrity disabled is your:

Read speed increases 11.5%
Write speed increases 11.6%
Copy speed increases 15.0%
Latency is reduced by 15.2%

• Rep+
Reactions: fray_bentos

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hyper-V enabled by itself (sans Core Isolation and Memory Integrity) results in a smaller reduction in performance.
Font Screenshot Electronic device Software Multimedia

Without Hyper-V:
Faster read speed - 7.0%
Faster write speed - 7.1%
Faster copy speed - 9.8%
Increased latency - 11.1%

A strange finding in my opinion, because with Core Isolation/Memory Integrity enabled it doesn't seem to affect performance!
My guess is that Hyper-V is parts of Core Isolation and Memory Integrity, and enabling it is probably redundant. But if you're going to use Core Isolation/Memory Integrity you should also enable Hyper-V, in case it does increase security a bit.

Hyper-V has a
Read: 60.9%
Write: 61.2%
Copy: 65.3%
Latency: 73.0%
impact on performance compared to Core Isolation/Memory Integrity and Core Isolation/Memory Integrity + Hyper-V

edit: And 0% impact on performance if run in conjunction

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I don't know how many times I can tell you guys, I can't get Core Isolation/Memory Integrity to turn OFF, when I turn it off, it asks for my password and then it says I have to reboot to apply the change, well when I reboot, and I go into Core Isolation/Memory Integrity it's still ON, no matter how many times I try to turn it OFF. And for the BIOS, I have looked through the entire thing looking for anything that resembles VT-X, I only have the 1 option of VT-D which is DISABLED. So I am stuck in a never ending loop. I have tried registry editing , policy editing to no avail. I think my computer just doesn't like me very much :confused:

·
Registered
525 Posts
An example for reference sake:

Up until this week I've been running my system with 2x16GB budget oriented RAM that I slightly overclocked.
From the store it was labeled
DDR4 3200 22:22:22:52 2T
I overclocked it to:
DDR4 3500 17:21:21:42 1T

And I didn't configure any of the secondary or tertiary timings. Reason being I didn't know how to and didn't feel like the work of learning would pay off because it didn't seem like the RAM could be pushed any further. Anyway, it helped the 9600K performance, I noticed the speed increase using it.

I believe my RAM at 3200 gave:
Read speed of 41,838 MB/s
Write speed of 47,593 MB/s
Copy speed of 41,118 MB/s
And a latency slightly more than 60ns

Up at 3500 with somewhat reduced timings (17:21:21:42 vs 22:22:22:52), the RAM's
Read speed was 45,761 MB/s
Write speed was 52,055 MB/s
Copy speed was 44,973 MB/s
And latency was about 55.1ns

Resulting in a
9.4% increased Read performance
9.6% increased Write performance
9.4% increased Copy performance
And a 10.7% lower latency.

Compare those numbers to the ones below which show the increase from disabling Core Isolation/Memory Integrity!

Read speed increases 11.5%
Write speed increases 11.6%
Copy speed increases 15.0%
Latency is reduced by 15.2%

SO!

Disabling Core Isolation/Memory Integrity is like overclocking your RAM by 400 (eg. DDR4 3400 -> 3800), setting your primary timings 3-5 lower, and optimizing your secondary/tertiary timings to 75% of their limit.

Pretty easy and significant performance boost!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't know how many times I can tell you guys, I can't get Core Isolation/Memory Integrity to turn OFF, when I turn it off, it asks for my password and then it says I have to reboot to apply the change, well when I reboot, and I go into Core Isolation/Memory Integrity it's still ON, no matter how many times I try to turn it OFF. And for the BIOS, I have looked through the entire thing looking for anything that resembles VT-X, I only have the 1 option of VT-D which is DISABLED. So I am stuck in a never ending loop. I have tried registry editing , policy editing to no avail. I think my computer just doesn't like me very much :confused:
Oh, I must have missed that part. I made a pretty good rundown of the performance you'll gain when we figure this out though. I'm going to do some more looking :)

21 - 40 of 61 Posts