1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently made the switch to Windows 10.
Decided to see if I'm still stable.
Fire up Prime95 blend test.
The prime95 program just closes itself, no error, no bsod, no lockup, just exits after 30 minutes.

I google a bit and people suggested Aida64 for ivy bridge.
It's been running for about 50 minutes so far with no issues. Temps are a bit lower but I'm starting to wonder, is it really a problem with prime95 or is aida64 less intensive?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What could possibly cause prime95 to close by itself without any errors?
Could this possibly be a memory issue or cpu?

The aida test has been running for a bit over an hour and I noticed that only 90% of the memory is being used (14.5/16GB). Maybe this is why it hasn't crashed yet?

3770k 42 multiplier 100 core -.085 vcore offset

·
Guru
1,077 Posts
Personally I use OCCT large data set for ~5 hours and then
X264 ST v2.06 for high-workload CPU overnight or ~8 hours.

But I do use prime95 to begin with as well to save me some time and potential confusion and make sure that it passes at least some 5-10mins of small ffts before proceeding to OCCT.

The fact that the prime95 crashes for you is not okay. Try another version, there's a slight chance that it might have corrupted config files or something.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been going for 6 hours now with no issues. Temps are high because I have all fans disabled for a quieter system.
The Prime95 version that I have is Windows64, Prime95, v28.5, build 2. Is there a better version?

·
PC Evangelist
46,942 Posts
Prime95 has never failed me with 3770K and prior CPUs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it's an issue with my memory.
I cleared cmos and set memory to xmp profile 1600 8-8-8-24 2N 1.35v and got bsod after 20 min in prime95. Everything else default.

·
Not New to Overclock.net
1,688 Posts
I've had Prime just randomly close on me due to instability. No errors, nothing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't remember the error message. I set everything to defaults and ran prime95, BSOD'd. So I increased ram voltage from stock 1.35 to 1.4 and so far have been running prime95 blend for past 3 hours.

·
Guru
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablosbud View Post

I've had Prime just randomly close on me due to instability. No errors, nothing.
This. When prime95 or any other stress testing app crashes/stops responding this is usually due to instability.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wouldn't go with AIDA 64. The have a scummy license process that disables your software after a while and forces you into buying a new version.

That would have been fine if it was clear to me at the time of purchase, but it wasn't. I was fine with kind of expensive, I was not fine with feeling like they were taking advantage of me (hence my posting about it). I was pissed about being forced to pay more when I only wanted the most basic features and did not need the upgrade.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts