Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an old X79 socket 2011 build laying around I’m trying to put back together with a Corsair AIO (asetek) cooler.

This used to be my gaming computer moons ago. What am I missing here?? The screws don’t seem to be long enough for this bracket I put back together.
Any ideas?
Circuit component Hood Hardware programmer Passive circuit component Audio equipment

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Hand Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Edit: I may have mixed up 100i pro and h105 standoffs. I had an h100i pro hooked up to this about a year ago and forgot to remove old standoffs. Will verify tomorrow

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,146 Posts
I could be wrong but don’t you need standoffs / posts?

I’m looking at a photo of my block on my old X79 system.

Bicycle part Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Rim

I’m pretty sure there were riser / standoffs / posts that screwed into the motherboard. Then the nut / screws threaded into that post.

Hard to tell and it’s been a while…

If that’s wrong, then I think you simply need longer screws. Are you sure you’re using the right ones?

Edit: I’m looking at more photos and the top of the screw / nut is flush with my RAM heat spreaders.

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle part Rim Bicycle fork

Either you’re using the wrong screws or your missing the posts I mentioned above.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could be wrong but don’t you need standoffs / posts?

I’m looking at a photo of my block on my old X79 system.

View attachment 2544641

I’m pretty sure there were riser / standoffs / posts that screwed into the motherboard. Then the nut / screws threaded into that post.

Hard to tell and it’s been a while…

If that’s wrong, then I think you simply need longer screws. Are you sure you’re using the right ones?
You could be right about the longer screws. I have to look through my assortment to see if I mixed up with another AIO.
The LGA 2011 bracket is built in to all motherboards. Basically just need the 4 screws as far as I remember as well..

·
Registered
582 Posts
The bracket on the back of the mobo needs to be changed. When you bought/or not, the water block for the cpu, it came with the bracket with screw posts that are long enough.
I have 2 mobo’s, ASUS Black edition with those brackets, however, both mobo’s are broken. Have the hardware for that and was going to sell them but got lazy.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like these go through past the cooler bracket reaching to the posts.
View attachment 2544644

I saw that too. But, I don't have those screws (and I save pretty much everything, labeled and bagged). I have tons of the ones that don't go through past the cooler bracket.

Even on eBay I don't see these thumbscrews with the notch underneath. For instance, this is what you get with mounting screw set... Cooler Bracket Cooling Mounting Screw for Corsair Hydro Series V2 H100i H105 | eBay

But on the flip side, Judging from this picture I just found on ebay of someone selling a whole unit, I am using the wrong screws (too short)... But i'll find out later tonight when I take another stab at it. The screws in this picture's mid-section are longer
White Gadget Audio equipment Automotive tire Font

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,146 Posts
Yes, the backplate is mounted with the motherboard by default ^

If the OP has everything from the photos and manual, if should work.

Font Cylinder Office supplies Auto part Cable
Plant Jewellery Body jewelry Electric blue Close-up

Step 1: 4 LGA 2011 standoffs are mounted to motherboard.
Step 2: CPU Pump / Block with bracket is fitted over CPU.
Step 3: Threads from standoff should penetrate through holes in bracket. Use screws/nuts to secure / tension block to standoffs.

Font Engineering Parallel Cylinder Diagram

If the screws and standoffs are correct, the only other component that could be off is the bracket / retention ring thing.

Maybe it is not set on the cooler correctly? Otherwise, yea, double check your posts. I doubt youd throw them away if you have everything else.

·
Registered
6950X, RTX 2080
105 Posts
If the screws and standoffs are correct, the only other component that could be off is the bracket / retention ring thing.
good thinking, like it's not down in the teeth/slots and raised away from the block. you have to spin and turn it to lock into place.

My cooler looks a bit different, it's 2011-3 so same cooler socket.
but mine screws directly into the bracket, no posts. it's the H110 probably older.
But has teeth that it locks into.
Audio equipment Circuit component Electronic engineering Hardware programmer Computer hardware

1 - 10 of 10 Posts