Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Recently I purchased this AIO unit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835494019&cm_re=lepa_aquachanger-_-35-494-019-_-Product

While there are no performance issues, I do notice a rattle in the pump when my computer has been either asleep or shut down for awhile. It only last for about 1-2 minutes after I booted the computer back up. I've heard that it may have to do with the pump pushing air out of the system, but is this a normal? Also, I've heard that the way I have the cooler mounted may have something to do with it. I currently have a Corsair 250D ITX case and the cooler is mounted in this fashion:

http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2014/01/07090756826l.JPG

Is this normal considering my current setup, or should I attempt to get an exchange from Newegg?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
386 Posts
That mounting orientation can certainly cause the pump to suck in some air. If you consider there is just a bit of air in the AIO anyway, normally with it being at the highest point of the loop when it is off. That means the top side of the rad (which can possibly be near the inlet on that part, can cause it to suck in air bubbles. If its working them out then, I wouldn't worry too much. I wouldn't think it should impact the life of the pump TOO much, but I'm not expert on AIO's.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only had the AIO for a couple of days, so I'm not sure if it will get worse as time goes on. The pump usually takes 1-2 minutes to work out all the air and then it is pretty much silent from where I sit. I just want to make sure that this won't be a serious issue before I submit a rebate
smile.gif

·
Registered
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerboy3 View Post

That mounting orientation can certainly cause the pump to suck in some air. If you consider there is just a bit of air in the AIO anyway, normally with it being at the highest point of the loop when it is off. That means the top side of the rad (which can possibly be near the inlet on that part, can cause it to suck in air bubbles. If its working them out then, I wouldn't worry too much. I wouldn't think it should impact the life of the pump TOO much, but I'm not expert on AIO's.
I agree the pump is likely sucking air in that settles to the top of the rad outlet. It shouldn't be a big deal so long as the pump doesn't run completely dry.

If you can, I'd try to work on the orientation of the AIO and see if you can position that rad outlet so that its not the highest point in the loop. Exchanging it probably won't change your situation as all loops have a slight bit of air trapped in them. This is why AIO manufacturers have some orientation restrictions.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not 100% sure if I understand what you mean when you say "so long as the pump doesn't run completely dry." Are you talking about the water evaporating from the closed loop? The temps seem to be fine while it rattles as I have ran x264 loops during the rattling with no noticeable differences in temps.

The only other way I can orient the radiator, if I really push some cables around, is to flip the radiator so the hoses are positioned right behind the front of the case. Do you think this would solve the rattling issue?

·
Registered
386 Posts
No as in literally run dry, no liquid flowing through it. Evaporation in that AIO will take years, so thats not the worry. Without pictures its unclear if that will solve the problem. Will the inlet/outlet orientation of the radiator have them at the bottom near the bottom of the case or the top near the top of the case? You want them oriented toward the bottom of the case preferably. You could always do a simple test. Remove only the rad, and hold it in your hand with the 2 ports nearest the floor, and the other part of the radiator up in the air. Turn on the pc. Does it still make the noise? Could be defective!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotcha. If I flip the radiator, it will still be positioned in a similar fashion as the picture in the OP, but the hose will be closer to the opposite side of the case. I will try that test first thing tomorrow morning and see if it still makes the rattling sound.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpopsaranghae View Post

I'm not 100% sure if I understand what you mean when you say "so long as the pump doesn't run completely dry." Are you talking about the water evaporating from the closed loop? The temps seem to be fine while it rattles as I have ran x264 loops during the rattling with no noticeable differences in temps.

The only other way I can orient the radiator, if I really push some cables around, is to flip the radiator so the hoses are positioned right behind the front of the case. Do you think this would solve the rattling issue?
Meaning that the air bubble is large enough so that the pump is only sucking air. That doesn't sound like the case here, but there is a good chance there is a small air pocket that the pump is drawing on that is causing your sound. In this case, the pump is not running dry its just drawing some air from that pocket until the pump disrupts the pocket enough for it to disappear.

Good luck with reorienting it. You should notice a difference right away.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Good Luck!
So I tried your test and holding the radiator vertically seems to remedy the rattling noise. However, there is no way for me to mount the radiator that way in my case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemirunner426 View Post

Meaning that the air bubble is large enough so that the pump is only sucking air. That doesn't sound like the case here, but there is a good chance there is a small air pocket that the pump is drawing on that is causing your sound. In this case, the pump is not running dry its just drawing some air from that pocket until the pump disrupts the pocket enough for it to disappear.

Good luck with reorienting it. You should notice a difference right away.
I tried reorienting it so the hose are closer to the front of the case, but the radiator is still mounted on it's side and the rattling noise is still there. If the noise will not get worse, it is something I can live with since it only last 1-2 minutes after I leave the computer asleep or off for awhile.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpopsaranghae View Post

So I tried your test and holding the radiator vertically seems to remedy the rattling noise. However, there is no way for me to mount the radiator that way in my case.
I tried reorienting it so the hose are closer to the front of the case, but the radiator is still mounted on it's side and the rattling noise is still there. If the noise will not get worse, it is something I can live with since it only last 1-2 minutes after I leave the computer asleep or off for awhile.
Then its not faulty. Its literally just sucking in the air near the top of the rad after the coolant settles. It should be ok, unless you want to be anal about it. In which case I'm sure you can exchange it for another in hopes the next one doesn't do it. Other than that, you should be fine. It will just be annoying until the air is worked out after it settles everytime.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Quote:

Then its not faulty. Its literally just sucking in the air near the top of the rad after the coolant settles. It should be ok, unless you want to be anal about it. In which case I'm sure you can exchange it for another in hopes the next one doesn't do it. Other than that, you should be fine. It will just be annoying until the air is worked out after it settles everytime.
Agreed! Leave it alone. All water loops have a bit of air so getting another one likely wont solve your problem.

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
The loop has to be filled in a vacuum to contain no dissolved air which would increase manufacturing costs. When cold, it is normal. The hot plate is separating the dissolved air into air bubbles when the system turns on. The air collects at the top of the radiator. Should it happen when hot and running, though, and it is time to for a leak search.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts