Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. I see several different air coolers on newegg...Can anyone offer me some suggestions...Preferably with links..

Not sure that I want to push my cpu any further with this stock cooler on here.

·
RTX Sight Unseen
2,373 Posts
Noctua might or might not fit. The Meglahelms is nice.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tconroy135;11918162
What would keep the Noctua from not fitting?? My case is HUGE...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_2001;11918184
What would keep the Noctua from not fitting?? My case is HUGE...
I think he also means in terms of fitting on your motherboard. Sometimes surrounding chipset heatsinks and memory heatspreaders get in the way.

teaching.gif

·
RTX Sight Unseen
2,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaylor0024;11918193
It is a HUGE cooler.
That is actually an understatement lol. Yeah that is the best air cooler though, pretty ugly.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Thumb;11918207
You can not go wrong with this cooler. My 920 is oced to 4ghz, idling at 38c, loads to 68c during linx test. The Megahalems is one of the best. $62.99 free shipping! You won't regret it!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835242001&Tpk=Prolimatech%20Megahalems%20Rev.B%20CPU%20Cooler

You'll need a couple of good fans as well!
That one sort of reminds me of the Big Typhoon that I used to have...But I would need to buy a fan with that one as well...

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Retired Reviewer
10,092 Posts
Quote:
Amazing. You found a Mugen 2 for $30. Great work. It's cheaper because it's a Rev A, which is fine because the Rev A was designed for 1366 sockets.

In general, Archon > Silver Arrow > D14 > VX/Mega > Mugen 2/Tt Frio > all the rest.

That big HAF will accept any of those. The Gigabyte MB is the best choice because you can choose to use Voltage-controlled fans or PWM-controlled fans through a BIOS setting.

The only issue is your memory. Just what kind of G.Skill are you using? I've had no problems with Ripjaws with Megahalems, D14 and Mugen 2. If you have very tall RAM go with an Archon rather than a Silver Arrow - buy a second TY-140 and you'll get even better cooling with hardly any increase in noise.

If you're going with a Mega, go with a Super Mega rather than a Megahalems: the Mega has tall screws that limit you to 120mm fans. The Super Mega have low profile screws that allow you to use a pair of TY-140 fans - the best.

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tconroy135;11918162
Fit in what? His massive HAF 932? I have mine in and there is more than an inch and a half between the top of the heatpipes and the side panel.

I also nominate the NH-D14 as one of the best.

It's quiet, efficient and fills up the space nicely in my case.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts