Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone

I am preparing for my upcoming Threadripper 3970X based build. I want to go with an air cooling solution for the CPU. I am getting the Phanteks Enthoo 719 case. The case provides sufficient clearance for the cooler, and also space for a lot of other components I might throw in (a few hard drives, vertical graphics card, etc.). I am planning to install roughly 5, case fans - 3 intake (2 front + 1 bottom) and 2 exhaust (1 rear + 1 rear top). Given the size of the case, I think I might end up doing a vertical GPU mount in the very bottom and might install an additional front case fan to push cool air towards the GPU as well.

Anyway, my question is more focused on choosing an air cooling solution for the 3970X CPU given its huge 280W TDP.

I have so far narrowed it down (in no particular order so far) to the following two, however I am open to other alternatives if there are any in the air cooling space for this CPU:

1. Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 - Will get a second fan as well (push-pull) if I use the Noctua.
2. Thermalright Silver Arrow TR4

I couldn't get reasonable comparison data for these two coolers with 3rd gen threadrippers unfortunately. The closest I could find was https://web.archive.org/web/20190811054110/https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/09/noctua_amd_threadripper_air_cooler_roundup/6 which was for the 2950X, which I think is a reasonable comparison and points to the Silver Arrow performing better than the Noctua.

I am posting here to get more data if any along with any feedback / suggestions regarding the above two coolers (and any other ones available out there) before I make my purchase.

PS: I am located in the US if it helps regarding available options.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
26,945 Posts
:thumb:Welcome to OCN!

Enthoo 719 (240x595x570mm) is good case, but keep in mind it comes with no fans. I think Enthoo Pro 2 (240x580x560mm) is almost as big and has better airflow because front is all vent (also comes with no fans). What case fans do you plan to use? Either one will do fine, but I would put 4x 140mm intakes in front of 719, block right side vents and any other openings not covered by front intake fans so air they are pushing into case has to flow through case and out, not leak around fans or out side, and end up going in circles. You won't need any exhaust fans, just leave all other vents open and front intakes will move air through case. I would experiment by covering bottom and/or half of top venting to see if it changes airflow and thus component temps. Can use a piece of cardboard to cover vent/s to see if it makes a difference.

While NH-U14S is okay, but it has never been as good as it should be. NH-U14s TR4-SP3 is same cooler with bigger base and AM4 mount.

Thermalright Silver Arrow TR4 is best threadripper air cooler out. But for it to perform properly it needs similar case fans so case is able to flow the almost twice as much air TY-143 fan flows compared to most cooler fans. Not sure where you will get Silver Arrow TR4 in USA as Nans Gaming Gear and NewEgg are about the only dealers I know of. NewEgg shows them in stock
Both of these coolers come with single fan. Honestly, adding 2nd fan will only give a couple degrees lower temps, but only at full speed. 2x fans at same speed as 1x fan will move a little more air though cooler, but 1x fan at slightly higher speed flows same amount of air as 2x fans at same noise level, so only time the couple of degrees difference is evident is at full speed / lower noise level.

I normally remove all back PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area in lower part of case. Doing this increases front to back airflow so GPU heated exhaust moves back better with less heated air mixing with cool intake air so lower air temp entering componets, so lower temps and/or quieter system. In case you are interested, link below is to basic guide about how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319249-post5.html

·
Never Finished
2,300 Posts
IIRC, the Freezer 50 is a good cooler, and Thermalright's TR4 options should be good judging from the performance of the other versions with smaller coldplates. With the issues that I've had with Arctic p12 fans (bearing/motor noises on 10 fans), I'm more inclined to recommend Thermalright's offerings. Noctua's U14S TR4 is also a good cooler, but I feel like the 6x6mm heatpipes will be oversaturated at some point with these power hungry chips.

As far as your case setup goes, if you haven't gotten the 719 yet, please get the Pro 2 if you've no need for RGB and aesthetics. Exact same case interior but with an open front panel that allows for much better airflow than the 719 or basically any other case for that matter.

I wouldn't bother with a separate gpu mount as bottom fan intake will provide direct cooling to the gpu in standard horizontal orientation. I've noted a 3C drop in temps between no fan and 12v with 900rpm giving an inaudible yet slight improvement to temps (arctic p12). You won't fill up the case by spreading the gpu around, but the magic of the case is you don't have to because of the cooling opportunities it has.

But back to the coolers, I recommend the Silver Arrow TR4. If RAM clearance is important to you, then you can leave the heatsink at that and you'd have a solid cooler, provided you don't overclock it. You can get improved temperatures by adding a second fan, preferably to the backside of the cooler since the front will be supplied fresh unobstructed air from the front panel fans.

As there are no TR4 CLC options that are serviceable and do not used mixed metals, I will not recommend any. They will all eventually degrade to the point of being trashed while air coolers will still function the same as day 1, provided it isn't damaged in some way. I'm not trying to start an argument here, just stating the facts. For AIOs, EK-MLC was an option back in the day, but that's EOL, and Swiftech's AIOs don't cover TR4. So, you have a couple air coolers or going with a custom loop, and both are options that the Pro 2 will excel at (I know I'm bragging, this case is that good).

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,081 Posts
IIRC, the Freezer 50 is a good cooler, and Thermalright's TR4 options should be good judging from the performance of the other versions with smaller coldplates.
If he's looking at the 14S, the Freezer 50 is similarly priced and doesn't stack up.

·
Premium Member
26,945 Posts
As ciarlatano said, Freezer 50 is not near as good as U14S and Silver Arrow TR4 is much better than U14S.

·
Registered
496 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,945 Posts
XtremeSystems testing clearly says room ambient is between 21c and 23c. Air temp entering cooler is not monitored and recorded same time as CPU temp is. This means all temps taken could easily be 1 higher or 1c lower than recorded .. and that's assuming air entering cooler when CPU temp was recoreded was the same as room ambient which it almost certainly is not

GamerZoon only says room is 21c, so again temps could easily be off similar 2c or more.

Basically it's all down to how testing is done, not what a graph shows. If testing is not done properly (above testing is not) results are near worthless

Results first posted source results from [H]ard|OCP are result of accurate testing procedure.

I didn't bother checking test procedure of data carlatano posted, but 4c difference even if off by 2-3c still shows a clear difference.

·
Invalid Media
2,146 Posts
Hi everyone

I am preparing for my upcoming Threadripper 3970X based build. I want to go with an air cooling solution for the CPU. I am getting the Phanteks Enthoo 719 case. The case provides sufficient clearance for the cooler, and also space for a lot of other components I might throw in (a few hard drives, vertical graphics card, etc.). I am planning to install roughly 5, case fans - 3 intake (2 front + 1 bottom) and 2 exhaust (1 rear + 1 rear top). Given the size of the case, I think I might end up doing a vertical GPU mount in the very bottom and might install an additional front case fan to push cool air towards the GPU as well.

Anyway, my question is more focused on choosing an air cooling solution for the 3970X CPU given its huge 280W TDP.

I have so far narrowed it down (in no particular order so far) to the following two, however I am open to other alternatives if there are any in the air cooling space for this CPU:

1. Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 - Will get a second fan as well (push-pull) if I use the Noctua.
2. Thermalright Silver Arrow TR4

I couldn't get reasonable comparison data for these two coolers with 3rd gen threadrippers unfortunately. The closest I could find was https://web.archive.org/web/20190811054110/https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/09/noctua_amd_threadripper_air_cooler_roundup/6 which was for the 2950X, which I think is a reasonable comparison and points to the Silver Arrow performing better than the Noctua.

I am posting here to get more data if any along with any feedback / suggestions regarding the above two coolers (and any other ones available out there) before I make my purchase.

PS: I am located in the US if it helps regarding available options.

Thanks.

I would also suggest that you also check out the Arctic Freezer 33 TR, which is only around US$40. I had that temporarily on my heavily oc'ed 2950X (just under 280W w/oc @ 4.325 all-c) and had added a second fan while I was waiting for my custom loop Heatkiller w-block to arrive.

I was very surprised at its performance, especially with a second fan. While it cannot compete against the big custom loop I completed (CPU now has 720/55 rad space, 2x D5 pumps, 6x SilentTyphoon fans), the Arctic Freezer 33 TR did surprisingly well, especially for the money. At the end of the day, Noctua and perhaps a few others might beat it by a small margin, but it is worth considering, especially with the optional 2nd fan.

Here's a bit more on it, also compared to the Noctua:

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,081 Posts
I would also suggest that you also check out the Arctic Freezer 33 TR, which is only around US$40. I had that temporarily on my heavily oc'ed 2950X (just under 280W w/oc @ 4.325 all-c) and had added a second fan while I was waiting for my custom loop Heatkiller w-block to arrive.

I was very surprised at its performance, especially with a second fan. While it cannot compete against the big custom loop I completed (CPU now has 720/55 rad space, 2x D5 pumps, 6x SilentTyphoon fans), the Arctic Freezer 33 TR did surprisingly well, especially for the money. At the end of the day, Noctua and perhaps a few others might beat it by a small margin, but it is worth considering, especially with the optional 2nd fan.

Here's a bit more on it, also compared to the Noctua:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-euNxeLFbA
Yeah....I don't trust reviews that have a link to the product for monetization. That isn't a review, it's an advertisement, and listening to that video it certainly sounds more advertisement than review. Couple that with the fact that it contradicts a review with known good testing, and the fact that I've used the non-TR version of the Freezer 33 and know it isn't really close to the U14S (which I have also used and tested)....

·
Invalid Media
2,146 Posts
Yeah....I don't trust reviews that have a link to the product for monetization. That isn't a review, it's an advertisement, and listening to that video it certainly sounds more advertisement than review. Couple that with the fact that it contradicts a review with known good testing, and the fact that I've used the non-TR version of the Freezer 33 and know it isn't really close to the U14S (which I have also used and tested)....

...well, first of all, I mentioned that I did my own testing (at almost 280W, but with 2nd fan) and I bought and paid for it myself. Next, there's Bitwit's review (below) where he also purchased that unit. In any case, it is just about price-performance; there are better air-coolers out there, though to get the most out of a 3970X (ie via PBO), I would probably go to water-cooling anyhow

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the replies. That's a lot of replies in quick succession, love this forum! :)

Enthoo 719 (240x595x570mm) is good case, but keep in mind it comes with no fans. I think Enthoo Pro 2 (240x580x560mm) is almost as big and has better airflow because front is all vent (also comes with no fans).
Yes I have also been eyeing the recently launched Enthoo Pro 2 too. It is identical to the 719 except for the front panel and few other minor differences I could spot (eg. no hinges for the side tempered glass panel, no included fan hub, etc.). The 719 has (decently large) gaps on the sides of the front panel from what I could tell, do you think it would be sufficient for intake or would the full front mesh make a tremendous amount of difference? I liked the finish and aesthetics of the 719 better, but I guess not the most efficient for airflow. :(

Either one will do fine, but I would put 4x 140mm intakes in front of 719, block right side vents and any other openings not covered by front intake fans so air they are pushing into case has to flow through case and out, not leak around fans or out side, and end up going in circles. You won't need any exhaust fans, just leave all other vents open and front intakes will move air through case. I would experiment by covering bottom and/or half of top venting to see if it changes airflow and thus component temps. Can use a piece of cardboard to cover vent/s to see if it makes a difference.
I have a stash (5 count) of Noctua 140mms (NF-A14 I think) that I got from one of my buddies who has not been using it. I am planning to use these as case fans. The front of the case supports a max of 3 x 140mm or 4 x 120mm fans. I am planning to go with 3x140 here. Would 4x120 make a difference? I am happy to adjust the fan curves to keep the intakes at a higher RPM if needed, can tolerate some amount of fan noise at idle if need be.

While NH-U14S is okay, but it has never been as good as it should be. NH-U14s TR4-SP3 is same cooler with bigger base and AM4 mount. Thermalright Silver Arrow TR4 is best threadripper air cooler out. But for it to perform properly it needs similar case fans so case is able to flow the almost twice as much air TY-143 fan flows compared to most cooler fans. Not sure where you will get Silver Arrow TR4 in USA as Nans Gaming Gear and NewEgg are about the only dealers I know of. NewEgg shows them in stock
Both Amazon and Newegg have it in stock, sold by Nans Gaming Gear. I prefer Amazon over Newegg when I have a choice just because of the ease of dealing with them on returns/replacements even when buying from third-party sellers.

I normally remove all back PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area in lower part of case. Doing this increases front to back airflow so GPU heated exhaust moves back better with less heated air mixing with cool intake air so lower air temp entering componets, so lower temps and/or quieter system. In case you are interested, link below is to basic guide about how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319249-post5.html
Yes I am open to experimenting with the back slot covers if needed. My room does pick up dust easily (since we open the windows often) and that's the only worry. Having said that, my system is going to be turned on 24x7, and as long as the fans are moving air it should still help reduce rate of dust build up inside.

IIRC, the Freezer 50 is a good cooler
Thanks for sharing this, I somehow missed this one. I found one comparison here which seems to indicate performance slightly lower than the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3. Any other comparisons you are aware of?

Noctua's U14S TR4 is also a good cooler, but I feel like the 6x6mm heatpipes will be oversaturated at some point with these power hungry chips.
As a pure noob question, does cooling performance increase purely based on number and thickness of the heatpipes? Just trying to understand how to compare these coolers on this front effectively.

As far as your case setup goes, if you haven't gotten the 719 yet, please get the Pro 2 if you've no need for RGB and aesthetics. Exact same case interior but with an open front panel that allows for much better airflow than the 719 or basically any other case for that matter.
Yes, I am deciding between the two of them given they are identical except for the front panel design and few minor changes (eg. no hinge for the side tempered glass panel). Aesthetics wise I am leaning towards the 719, not from RGB point of view but just the front looks a little boring in the Pro 2 as opposed to the 719 (just my personal view :D). The 719 does have relatively large openings on the sides of the front panel all around, but I agree the airflow would be better in the Pro 2 - any idea how much of a difference this could make?

I wouldn't bother with a separate gpu mount as bottom fan intake will provide direct cooling to the gpu in standard horizontal orientation. I've noted a 3C drop in temps between no fan and 12v with 900rpm giving an inaudible yet slight improvement to temps (arctic p12). You won't fill up the case by spreading the gpu around, but the magic of the case is you don't have to because of the cooling opportunities it has.
Another reason why I have been considering a vertical GPU mount is due to the number of PCIe cards I need for my work and gaming needs:
1. Two x16 slots - each with 4 x M.2 NVMe drives in addition to the 5 x NVMe drives the motherboard provides. In total I would be requiring 12 NVMe drives.
2. One x8 slot for my primary workstation GPU - Radeon Pro WX 2100.
3. The final x8 slot for my RX 5700XT GPU - will be a gaming passthrough card to my VM from my Linux KVM host.

Given how crowded my PCIe slots are going to be, I could easily run a riser to connect the RX 5700XT and mount the GPU vertically in the bottom for better cooling - that's been my thought so far. I will experiment I guess after I get my case to see which placement works best.

But back to the coolers, I recommend the Silver Arrow TR4. If RAM clearance is important to you, then you can leave the heatsink at that and you'd have a solid cooler, provided you don't overclock it. You can get improved temperatures by adding a second fan, preferably to the backside of the cooler since the front will be supplied fresh unobstructed air from the front panel fans.
Any idea about the Silver Arrow TR4 and RAM clearance, especially w.r.t. the RAM slots adjacent to the CPU on either sides? As per the motherboard manual, when using 4 modules (the config I am going to be choosing), I don't need to populate that - but might go for eight sometime later. Also, any idea if the fans are adjustable (i.e. raise them above) to get better RAM clearance?

As there are no TR4 CLC options that are serviceable and do not used mixed metals, I will not recommend any. They will all eventually degrade to the point of being trashed while air coolers will still function the same as day 1, provided it isn't damaged in some way. I'm not trying to start an argument here, just stating the facts. For AIOs, EK-MLC was an option back in the day, but that's EOL, and Swiftech's AIOs don't cover TR4. So, you have a couple air coolers or going with a custom loop, and both are options that the Pro 2 will excel at (I know I'm bragging, this case is that good).
Yep, I am not interested in the CLCs since I want to stay away from the Asetek ones and couldn't find any non-Asetek based which had a base plate with full Threadripper IHS coverage. Also, I prefer options which are maintenance free (other than the fans which are easily serviceable if need be). Hence the thread titled "Air cooler recommendations for ..." :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW, I am having a hard time figuring out if my motherboard will offer enough in terms of clearing the top most PCIe slot when I mount the Silver Arrow TR4. I am planning to get the ASUS Zenith II Extreme Alpha (yeah I know it's expensive, but the only ASUS board that I could find with the PCIe slot combinations I am looking for due to the reasons I explained in my previous comment).

For the Noctua NH-U14S, I got hard-evidence from builds on pcpartpicker.com with this combination clearing the first PCIe slot. The Noctua is 150mm wide, whereas the Silver Arrow TR4 is 154mm wide.

Unfortunately motherboard manufacturers do not publish any data around this and I have just been playing around with the images of the motherboard from the manufacturer, and using some reference items like the CPU die width in the sTRX4 socket to estimate the clearance between the VRM heatsink in the top and the first PCIe slot. Any better alternatives or suggestions for this? :)

·
Premium Member
26,945 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. That's a lot of replies in quick succession, love this forum! :)

Yes I have also been eyeing the recently launched Enthoo Pro 2 too. It is identical to the 719 except for the front panel and few other minor differences I could spot (eg. no hinges for the side tempered glass panel, no included fan hub, etc.). The 719 has (decently large) gaps on the sides of the front panel from what I could tell, do you think it would be sufficient for intake or would the full front mesh make a tremendous amount of difference? I liked the finish and aesthetics of the 719 better, but I guess not the most efficient for airflow. :(
Pro 2 fits 4x 140mm front intakes to 719's 3x 140mm front fans. Just a mesh grill restricts airflow 30-50%. subtract area center panel of 719 covers vs Pro 2 additional mesh area and Pro 2 has many times more front venting. Granted, 719's front center panel does act as a sound baffle, but the loss of airflow area means fans have to spin much faster to flow same amount of air as Pro 2's much bigger grill.

I have a stash (5 count) of Noctua 140mms (NF-A14 I think) that I got from one of my buddies who has not been using it. I am planning to use these as case fans. The front of the case supports a max of 3 x 140mm or 4 x 120mm fans. I am planning to go with 3x140 here. Would 4x120 make a difference? I am happy to adjust the fan curves to keep the intakes at a higher RPM if needed, can tolerate some amount of fan noise at idle if need be.
Assuming they normal NF-A14 1500rpm 3x front intakes at about 1300-1500rpm will flow about as much case air as TY-143 at 2500rpm needs to supply air less than 5c warmer than room. Ideal is no more than 2-3c warmer temp entering cooler than room ambient. If using Pro 2 wtih 4x 140mm intake will supply more case airflow at lower speeds, so very likely would be quieter system as long as Silver Arrow TR4's TY-143 is below 1500rpm.

You NF-A14 fans are similar design to Ty-14x fans, so make similar noise at similar speeds. obviously Silver Arrow TR4's TY-143 will be spinning faster than 3x NF-A14s will need to spin to supply case with good airflow in 719. If Pro 2 with 4x 140mm front fans and much larger grill area would not need to spin near as fast as 3x in 719.

Both Amazon and Newegg have it in stock, sold by Nans Gaming Gear. I prefer Amazon over Newegg when I have a choice just because of the ease of dealing with them on returns/replacements even when buying from third-party sellers.
When I looked yesterday (& now) Amazon does not show anything for Silver Arrow TR4. Only shows TR8 which is quite different cooler than TR4

Yes I am open to experimenting with the back slot covers if needed. My room does pick up dust easily (since we open the windows often) and that's the only worry. Having said that, my system is going to be turned on 24x7, and as long as the fans are moving air it should still help reduce rate of dust build up inside.
As long as case has good intake airflow no exhaust fans are needed. Using both is basically same as push/pull on cooler or radiator .. little to no difference in airflow with maybe needing 100-200rpm higher speed on push vs push/pull.

As a pure noob question, does cooling performance increase purely based on number and thickness of the heatpipes? Just trying to understand how to compare these coolers on this front effectively.
There are lots of variables involved besides heatpipe size & number. Fin count, base to CPU IHS contact, base to heatpipe contact, heatpipe to fin contact are all extremely important. Basically it's about quality and design easily as much as heatpipes and fins.

Yes, I am deciding between the two of them given they are identical except for the front panel design and few minor changes (eg. no hinge for the side tempered glass panel). Aesthetics wise I am leaning towards the 719, not from RGB point of view but just the front looks a little boring in the Pro 2 as opposed to the 719 (just my personal view :D). The 719 does have relatively large openings on the sides of the front panel all around, but I agree the airflow would be better in the Pro 2 - any idea how much of a difference this could make?
Same as above. I think Pro 2 will give you better airflow

Another reason why I have been considering a vertical GPU mount is due to the number of PCIe cards I need for my work and gaming needs:
1. Two x16 slots - each with 4 x M.2 NVMe drives in addition to the 5 x NVMe drives the motherboard provides. In total I would be requiring 12 NVMe drives.
3. The final x8 slot for my RX 5700XT GPU - will be a gaming passthrough card to my VM from my Linux KVM host.

Given how crowded my PCIe slots are going to be, I could easily run a riser to connect the RX 5700XT and mount the GPU vertically in the bottom for better cooling - that's been my thought so far. I will experiment I guess after I get my case to see which placement works best.
i understand why you want vertical GPU mount.

Any idea about the Silver Arrow TR4 and RAM clearance, especially w.r.t. the RAM slots adjacent to the CPU on either sides? As per the motherboard manual, when using 4 modules (the config I am going to be choosing), I don't need to populate that - but might go for eight sometime later. Also, any idea if the fans are adjustable (i.e. raise them above) to get better RAM clearance?
BTW, I am having a hard time figuring out if my motherboard will offer enough in terms of clearing the top most PCIe slot when I mount the Silver Arrow TR4. I am planning to get the ASUS Zenith II Extreme Alpha (yeah I know it's expensive, but the only ASUS board that I could find with the PCIe slot combinations I am looking for due to the reasons I explained in my previous comment).

For the Noctua NH-U14S, I got hard-evidence from builds on pcpartpicker.com with this combination clearing the first PCIe slot. The Noctua is 150mm wide, whereas the Silver Arrow TR4 is 154mm wide.

Unfortunately motherboard manufacturers do not publish any data around this and I have just been playing around with the images of the motherboard from the manufacturer, and using some reference items like the CPU die width in the sTRX4 socket to estimate the clearance between the VRM heatsink in the top and the first PCIe slot. Any better alternatives or suggestions for this? :)
Quick scaling of Asus AMD X399 ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha E-ATX TR4 motherboard shows it has
approx 46mm center CPU to near side of RAM on right side of socket and 79mm center CPU to near side of PCIe sockets.

Silver Arrow TR4 bottom fins are 42mm above top of CPU. Top of CPU is normally 5mm above bottom of RAM socket. What RAM are you planning to use?

Silver Arrow TR4 center base to fins on PCIe side is 67.8mm, and nearest PCIe is 79mm fro center CPU. Silver Arrow TR4 fins reach 51.4mm toward RAM, and will clear RAM about 47mm tall.

TY-143 fan in middle of cooler clears everything.

·
Never Finished
2,300 Posts

Nobody has directly compared the two with fans installed, but the norm is usually a ~5C drop in component temperatures, if not more. With how unrestrictive the intake is compared to even other mesh front offerings, that difference may be even larger than usual.

I haven't experimented with 140mm fans, but if you already have some fans to use, I wouldn't bother replacing them with something else. 120mm fans usually flow less and have more static pressure than 140mm fans which flow more and have less static pressure. Usually. There are some exceptions and is based largely on application.

But lets say you get the 719. The front panel fans have to be able to pull air from a covered front panel and then a dust filter. Static pressure is what determines how much airflow you'll lose, with better performers retaining more of their cfm than other fans with lower static pressure. However, even this is situational because all fans don't scale linearly; each has their own curve when it comes to noise, airflow, and voltage/pwm %.

Pro II has a nylon mesh front with large holes in it as well as a dust filter behind it. Not nearly as much restriction as the 719, but there still is some that a higher static pressure fan would be well suited for.

But talking about fans can get complicated, and I don't want to make a wall just talking about it since that isn't a big issue for you. This thread has a bit more info if you're interested. For your use-case, I'd use 3x 140mm front and 1x 140mm rear.

As far as the case goes, I picked up mine from Newegg since shipping was $7 versus ~$30 something on Amazon.

Thanks for sharing this, I somehow missed this one. I found one comparison here which seems to indicate performance slightly lower than the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3. Any other comparisons you are aware of?

I think my memory wasn't working that well. I might have been thinking about the LTT review where they compared the Icegiant Prosiphon Elite to some other coolers, one of which was the Freezer 50 that performed well in their testing, but their testing methodology wasn't very solid, so those results aren't accurate enough to trust. It's not a bad cooler, but the SA TR4 would be the one to get over the Freezer 50.

Yes and no. Yes if 6 heatpipes are saturated and experiencing dry-out, temperatures will increase exponentially. No if you're still within the TDP of the heatpipes. With threadripper, it's not uncommon for the chips to pull over 450w when overclocked, or even with precision overdrive. At stock, you'll be pulling over 200W, so I believe it's a good idea to get a cooler with more heatpipes.

Given how many components you'll be running in there, you're going to need airflow. The front panel on the 719 will obstruct a good amount of that flow, so I'm even more inclined to recommend the Pro 2 for your use-case. Once you're settled on your fan arrangement, you can grab some splitters and control fanspeed with Asus's motherboard software.

Not a bad idea, and that extra gap motherboard side should help with airflow. But here's another option. At least 2x 120mm bottom fans with a PCIe fan bracket installed in the vertical pci slots.

Well, I'm thinking the SA TR4 will clear the top slot. Here are some pictures that'll help you:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/wisteriear/archives/1071922044.html (zenith extreme)
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-ZENITH-EXTREME/
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-Zenith-II-Extreme-Alpha/

Top link shows pci slot blocked on the Zenith Extreme. Second link shows motherboard pic of zenith. Third link of the Alpha. You see that on the alpha, the ram slots are closer together, and the ram is pushed down. That frees up a few extra mm of room that might give you the clearance you need. doyll is pretty good at offering precise measurements, and I'm sure he'll chime in regarding this. Probably have already done so by now as I'm typing this post lol.

I'll add that because the ram is closer to the socket on the alpha, you might run into some height limitations, but as long as your ram is around the same height as the Trident Z (like the ones in the first link), you should be fine.

Also, consider that the U14S is not asymmetrical. The SA TR4's heatsink is shifted over slightly to help with pcie slot clearance.

·
Never Finished
2,300 Posts
Pro 2 fits 4x 140mm front intakes to 719's 3x 140mm front fans.
Sorry to say it's 3x 140mm. I'm running 4x 120mm.

·
Premium Member
26,945 Posts
You are correct, it is in stock. Strangely, when searching for it in 'All' I get nothing for Silver Arrow TR4

What airison2 said.
With as many components you are using case airflow needs to be quite high. My basic rule of thumb is about 1.5x as much case airflow as component airflow. If you have 3x 90mm GPU fan rated 80cfm plus CPU rated 140cfm that is 220cfm for components, so 330cfm for case. This is assuming case fans have pressure ratings of about 1.5mm H2O or higher @ 1300rpm. This kind of setup moves more air through case than components are using and thus (hopefully) pushes heated air out with cool air not needed by component coolers.

This is also why I remove PCIe back slot covers. Even vented ones are blocking 60-80% of airflow an open slot flows (see link below). Some of my builds I've cut rear and bottom grills out to get much better airflow and lower noise as well. In our case (no pun) you wont have many if any unused PCIe slot covers, so I would use at least half of area for HDD storage in rear bottom area of motherboard compartment. All of it as vent would be even better. Pro 2 with3 x 140mm high pressure intake fans with back as open as possible might need a bottom intake as well to push air out back and probably some out top venting. Case will only flow as much air in as it is flowing out. What is flowing in must also be flowing out. So if we are using 4x intakes with fans we need more than 4x exhausts to flow same amount of air out because exhaust vent grills block at least 60-70% of their open area. That limits airlfow much more because even air flowing through grills is disrupting smooth flow and slowing it down, meaning air coming through grill is being held back by this slower air even more. End result is grills restrict airflow dramatically. See link below to "Ways to Better Cooling; Airflow, Cooler & Fan Data.."
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22657923-post15.html
Lots of good information in that thread. Opening post has list of titles with post number to help find what you might be interested in. ;)

Also, here is link to Silverstonetek showing how much different grill patterns effect airflow by disrupting flow
https://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?tid=wh_chessis&area=usa

Sorry to say it's 3x 140mm. I'm running 4x 120mm.
My bad, it is 3x 140mm fans. :eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quick scaling of Asus AMD X399 ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha E-ATX TR4 motherboard shows it has
approx 46mm center CPU to near side of RAM on right side of socket and 79mm center CPU to near side of PCIe sockets.

Silver Arrow TR4 bottom fins are 42mm above top of CPU. Top of CPU is normally 5mm above bottom of RAM socket. What RAM are you planning to use?

Silver Arrow TR4 center base to fins on PCIe side is 67.8mm, and nearest PCIe is 79mm fro center CPU. Silver Arrow TR4 fins reach 51.4mm toward RAM, and will clear RAM about 47mm tall.

TY-143 fan in middle of cooler clears everything.
Thanks for the measurements. Just to confirm, did you mean the X399 Zenith Extreme Alpha or the TRX40 Zenith II Extreme Alpha? The X399 is for previous gen threadrippers, whereas TRX40 is the one I am planning to get.

Also, could you clarify how you got 67.8mm for CPU center to PCIe for Silver Arrow TR4? Looking at the dimensions from Thermalright, I see a 155mm width end to end, and the heatsink is offset more towards the VRM than the PCIe. I am guessing you adjusted for the offset based on the image?

This motherboard also has a relatively beefy tall VRM (and again no dimensions from ASUS for this), need to check if the cooler's offset doesn't cause clearance with the VRM.

Regarding RAM, I am going to be using the 128GB Trident Z Neo kit from G.Skill, which appears to be 41mm tall.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also, consider that the U14S is not asymmetrical. The SA TR4's heatsink is shifted over slightly to help with pcie slot clearance.
Good call on this, I overlooked this initially. Yeah, now need to also look at the VRM clearance given the Zenith II Extreme Alpha (and most TRX40 boards actually) have slightly taller VRMs.

You are convincing me to get an Enthoo Pro 2 but still on the edge. Going with the Pro 2 would have been much easier for me if they had kept the rounded corners look of the 719. Will think about it more. Another option is, if I really have issues with the 719 airflow I could just remove the front panel, but I might have as well got the Pro 2 if I were doing that :D

Yeah on Amazon the shipping charges for the Pro 2 are higher. I am hoping a shipped by Amazon listing shows up shortly (given the recent launch of this case) with free Shipping. Just trying hard to avoid Newegg since I have in general not had great experience with them even if the mistake was theirs, and their return policies are much stricter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts