Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a place where different heatsinks are tested with the same fans ? I would like to find the best heatsink, but comparing it in "regular" reviews really gives no information about that, since one cooler could have 800rpm fan and the other one could have 1500rpm, so reviewers are basically testing fans, not heatsinks.
Noctua D15 performs great in all reviews, but it has 2x 1500rpm fans so it basically sounds like a turbine, and costs double of what the alternatives do.
Currently running the Mugen 5 PCGH version wich look nice, is cheap, and cools well, but due to the 2 low rpm fans it might not seem to offer the best numbers on paper.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,816 Posts
2 25dBA fans =/= 50dBa. The Noctua D15 is actually fairly quiet compared to a lot of heatsinks even at 100% fan speed.

If you're looking for a good heatsink though, I recommend the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT. Super quiet even at 100% fan speed and it doesn't block any RAM slots. It is a bit pricey, though any good heatsink isn't going to be cheap. I got mine for $69 about two weeks ago.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,726 Posts
Is there a place where different heatsinks are tested with the same fans ? I would like to find the best heatsink, but comparing it in "regular" reviews really gives no information about that, since one cooler could have 800rpm fan and the other one could have 1500rpm, so reviewers are basically testing fans, not heatsinks.
Noctua D15 performs great in all reviews, but it has 2x 1500rpm fans so it basically sounds like a turbine, and costs double of what the alternatives do.
Currently running the Mugen 5 PCGH version wich look nice, is cheap, and cools well, but due to the 2 low rpm fans it might not seem to offer the best numbers on paper.
if you are looking to find the best one out of the ones you already own than this sounds like a good way to find it.
but if you are looking for the heat sink that is capable of removing the most heat that is available on the market? than I would suggest by starting your search by finding the heat sinks with the most heat pipes, 8 or more would be where I would start. than start looking at each heat sink statistics to find the one that has the highest wattage dissipated. than I would look at what fan is attached to that heat sink, and see if there is a better fan or fans that would fit it.

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
2 25dBA fans =/= 50dBa. The Noctua D15 is actually fairly quiet compared to a lot of heatsinks even at 100% fan speed.

If you're looking for a good heatsink though, I recommend the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT. Super quiet even at 100% fan speed and it doesn't block any RAM slots. It is a bit pricey, though any good heatsink isn't going to be cheap. I got mine for $69 about two weeks ago.
2x of the same fans are only about 2dB louder than 1x fan. D15 has 1500rpm fans which are a little louder than Thermalright TY-14x series 1300rpm fans. The extra 200rpm does improve cooling a little, but really the 200rpm change in noise and cooling is minimal.

Your are right about Le Grand Macho RT being top cooler right now, but others are so close it doesn't make much if any difference. Paying more attention to case airflow and getting air at or near room ambient to cooler is way more important than which of the top 6 or 10 coolers we choose to use.

if you are looking to find the best one out of the ones you already own than this sounds like a good way to find it.
but if you are looking for the heat sink that is capable of removing the most heat that is available on the market? than I would suggest by starting your search by finding the heat sinks with the most heat pipes, 8 or more would be where I would start. than start looking at each heat sink statistics to find the one that has the highest wattage desalted. than I would look at what fan is attached to that heat sink, and see if there is a better fan or fans that would fit it.
Number of heatpipes is really not the way pick a cooler. For example Le Grand Macho RT has 7x 6mm heatpipes and cools better than it's predecessor HR-22 did with 8x 6mm heatpipes. Both have same number and size fins and same copper base design. Original Silver Arrow / Cogage Arrow / IFX-14 has 4x 8mm heatpipes, NH-D15 & NH-D14 have 6x 6mm heatpipes, PH-TC14PE has 5x 8mm heatpipes. TRUE Spirit 140 Power is 6x 8mm heatpipes, newer Silver Arrow varients are 8x 6mm heatpipes. R1 has 7x 6mm heatpipes. I don't know of any cooler with more than 8x heatpipes. :p

High performance / high airflow fans will give 6-10c more cooling, but also make a lot more noise and need case fans to match so case fans can supply the almost twice airflow high performance fans push through cooler.

Really, if you want a good cool system pay attention to which case have best airflow and fans, then spend some time optimizing (tuning) case so it supplies cool air to components as need instead of just buying everything, slapping it into the case and expecting it to run cool and quiet. It's like buiding a custom car or bike. We don't just buy parts, assemble them and go racing. We spend a lot of time tuning, even re-tuning for different track and weather conditions.

·
Registered
259 Posts

How is the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT cooling vs the D15? Would like single fan and dual fan comparisons if possible.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,816 Posts
How is the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT cooling vs the D15? Would like single fan and dual fan comparisons if possible.
they're realistically the same. get the cheaper of the two.

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
How many times are you going to ask the same basic question? :p
If you want similar cooling for less money and have the room, TRUE Spirit 140 Power is in same league. ;)

·
Registered
480 Posts
I was fairly set on getting the Macho, but i really don't like such a large block of metal in my case. AIO are not for me nor do i want to bother with custom loop. I went with the Quad Lumi, basically for the looks and extra two heatpipes, and replaced the fan because i didn't actually want the LED fan. Not particularly cost effective, but i liked the way it looked and wanted a black top plate and the extra heatpipes. The fan i replaced it with is a Corsair ML120. It is a much more powerful fan than the stock one, but makes little to no difference overall, perhaps helps cool the general area vrms if anything a slight bit better if even that. Adding another fan isn't even worth the hassle. There was at least one video done with replaced fans on it, or the H7 can't recall and the difference was basically nil in that test. On the heatsink side it comes down to saturation. The fans can't do much more than the heatsink is capable of absorbing heat in the first place. The most benefit of replacing a fan would likely be the fans ability to push air out of the case faster, and or in combination with your exhaust fan. Certainly there could be some situations where a hs/fan combo could be slightly improved, but how much it is worth the time and testing is questionable.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well I dont care for airflow in my case at all since it`s an open design. Just curious about the differences inbetween heatsinks when tested with the same fans.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
I was fairly set on getting the Macho, but i really don't like such a large block of metal in my case. AIO are not for me nor do i want to bother with custom loop. I went with the Quad Lumi, basically for the looks and extra two heatpipes, and replaced the fan because i didn't actually want the LED fan. Not particularly cost effective, but i liked the way it looked and wanted a black top plate and the extra heatpipes. The fan i replaced it with is a Corsair ML120. It is a much more powerful fan than the stock one, but makes little to no difference overall, perhaps helps cool the general area vrms if anything a slight bit better if even that. Adding another fan isn't even worth the hassle. There was at least one video done with replaced fans on it, or the H7 can't recall and the difference was basically nil in that test. On the heatsink side it comes down to saturation. The fans can't do much more than the heatsink is capable of absorbing heat in the first place. The most benefit of replacing a fan would likely be the fans ability to push air out of the case faster, and or in combination with your exhaust fan. Certainly there could be some situations where a hs/fan combo could be slightly improved, but how much it is worth the time and testing is questionable.
H7 has 3x 6mm heatpipes and H7 Quad Lumi has one more giving it a total of 4x 6mm heatpipes. I would expect the ML120 to give little lower temps at full speed, but it depends on how much heat your CPU generates. the more heat the more likely it is to see a difference. I agee, adding another fan is not worth the effort, especially with ML120 already on it. Adding another front intake might help by moving more cool air into case and to CPU & GPU coolers, then pushing their heated air on back and out of case. But addng another exhaust fan won't help unless there is a matching one bring more air into case. Exhaust fans can only flow as much air out of case as intake vents (usually with fans) are flowing in. Intake fans can only flow as much air into a case as exhaust vents (often without fans) can flow out. Good intake fans (fans with 1.5 + mm H2O pressure rating at 1300-1500rpm) will flow air though case and out exhaust vents without the need for exhaust fans on them. Only one of all the systems I've built in last two to three years had exhaust fans, and that was only because owner wanted exhaust fans. ;)

Well I dont care for airflow in my case at all since it`s an open design. Just curious about the differences inbetween heatsinks when tested with the same fans.
I've seen many open cases having higher CPU temps than when closed. Your pic is a good example of how an open case might have higher CPU temps then a closed one. With the GPU mounted like that it is pushing heated air out up, forward, down and a little back thorugh it's PCIe back slot mount. The heated air coming out up and forward may be being drawn into the air moving toward CPU fan.

If it was a closed case with the front full of intake fans they would be pushing cool air toward CPU and GPU and probably have a better chance of keeping heated air coming off of GPU from mixing with cool air going to CPU.

Hope that makes sense.

Obviously different coolers perform differently with different fans. There are a few sites testing with reference fans. Problem is most of them are testing in cases using room ambient air temp, not cooler intake air temp so not at all accurate, especially if cooler fans run faster than case fans and end up re-using their own heated air. Case in point is Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E and IB-E Extreme with 2500rpm fans. When tested on open bench using cooler intake air temp the CPU was 7-10c cooler than others, but when tested in a case CPU temps were only 2-4c cooler because they were re-using their own heated air at high speed all caused because stock case fans were only flowing about half as much air as TY-143's 130cfm at 2500rpm .. and every degree warmer tha air into cooler is translates into about a degree hotter the CPU will be, especially if it's making lots of heat.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I thought you were asking about different fans on the same heatsink, not the other way around. Anyway, still the heatsink itself is the most important part. A bad fan could make it worse, but an overkill fan probably isn't going to make too much of a difference. The fan isn't sucking heat directly from the cpu, the heatsink is. The fan is just blowing that heat away from the heatsink. Maybe if you have a 3000rpm turbine blowing through a single tower cooler and being loud as hell, it might help "a little", but because the heatsink can only absorb so much heat before it becomes saturated you would have to exponentially increase your fan, rmp, and or cfm/pressure. And even then, you would benefit far more from just having a cooler environment in all situations sans a completely choked off case.

So since you have an open case, your best benefit is absolutely the coolest environment you can muster. If your room is hot, your fans are blowing hot air at your hot heatsink. Blowing more hot air faster at it is not the greatest solution. Also the hotter your ambient, the longer it takes for your cpu to cool down after load. I've ran minimal fans in 65f temperature controlled room for almost 2 decades and have never had heat issues with basically the cheapest cooling solutions - i have even overclocked on intel and amd stock coolers. So the only real reason i think someone would want to do what you are saying is A: a not every efficient band aid on a total garbage heatsink, or just for sound level/characteristics, or looks.
But try it if you like and post your results. :thumb:

·
Moderately Ancient
369 Posts
I've seen many open cases having higher CPU temps than when closed.

I've heard people repeat this so many times over the years yet i've never actually seen it. I don't quite get what it would take to achieve higher temps outside the case unless its a fanless heatsink that's cooled by the flow from case fans.

·
Iconoclast
30,428 Posts
I've heard people repeat this so many times over the years yet i've never actually seen it. I don't quite get what it would take to achieve higher temps outside the case unless its a fanless heatsink that's cooled by the flow from case fans.
You generally aren't going to have higher ambient temperatures the case, ever. However, it's quite easy for a well configured setup to provide better airflow through and around components with the case closed.

I'd say at least half of my systems have CPUs and/or GPUs that get hotter if the case is opened, and the rest could probably do with more case airflow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts