Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Corsair H60 and am prepping to use the (UN)Designs Rad Bracket from FrozenCPU (DangerDen was and has been sold out for a while.) I am also planning on replacing the stock Corsair Fan that comes with the H60 for 2 Red LED fans. I have been shopping around for a week or so now and I can't seem to wrp my head around the various measurements that are listed. Should I go with more CFM? Air Pressure? Or Air Flow(m3/h)? I have no idea what the last one means at all. Which is going to be better and based on that what are some good fans in Red LED for my intended push/pull setup? I would like to have Smoked Housings like the Cooler Master R4 120mm red LED fans have. But its not mandatory. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Blargh. 2 hours and no response?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
CFM and M3h are two ways of measuring the same thing. CFM = Cubic Foot per Minute, M3H = Meter cubed per Hour
Static pressure (Air pressure) is what you want when it comes to rad-fans.
A good example of high Air Pressure is ScytheGT AP-15's (120mm) so look up the Air Pressure stats for that, and find the Red LED fan that takes your fancy with air pressure measures as similar as possible.
I hear CM Sickleflow's (R4) Are actually pretty decent rad fans..
Good luck!

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So R4's are okay...Hmm something to think about. I have 2x 120mm R4's in my case already and I would like to keep the same type of fans instead of a mishmash. I found some 90cfm R4's on Amazon but I can't 100% verify that they are 90cfm.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
In a nut shell, don't trust fan specifications.

Both air flow and pressure numbers are what the fan can do with zero pressure and complete blockage respectively.

In reality our restriction level is between these two points and the path between them is not a straight line and not the same curve for every fan either.

RPM is about as good an indicator as any of the box specs are, which isn't really going to help pick between fans.

Also, anything that "LOOKS" really cool, works like crap...
smile.gif
Stuff like the "Wavy Blades", or "perforated Frames" or "Directional fins" are all a bunch of marketing BS.

About the only thing I have found is more dense bladed fans with a more forward sweeping blade tend to have less fan chop. Bearing and motor noise is something you just can't guess at all though by looking at things visually or specs.

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The R4's are about 70cfm at 2000rpm. Not too shabby I reckon. I think I am gonna keep to the R4's for a few reasons.

1) The LEDs will match the ones I have now thus not having 2 different color reds.
2) Its a Cooler Master Case with Cooler Master Fans already in it. I like Brand Loyalty.
3) the R4's have been spectacular operators thus far and I have no complaints with them.
4) at $9.99 a piece and free shipping from Newegg why would I go with anything cheaper and thus possible lower quality?

·
Stealin Yer Sammich!
9,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if I could find a y splitter for 2 fans. They are 3 pin connectors. I may have to do that as I might be short a mobo header....

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
I tested the cooler master R4s here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/859483/round-6-fan-testing-working-thread/50#post_11260237

They are not a bad fan from CFM/dbA ratio perspective. I considered the yates pretty good and the R4 did a little better there at the high end and they do have plenty of power. They had a little bit of a motor tick so noise quality wasn't stellar.

But not bad. listen to the video for your own take on it.
thumb.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.