Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I just set up my first (semi) custom water cooling loop using the XSPC RASA RX850 kit & some Tygon tubing...anyway, in order to keep the 800D cool when under air, I had a front bay fan as an intake, with the hot air exhausting out the top. Now I have a radiator mounted up the top, however in order to mount the bay reservoir, I've had to forgo my front intake....

...I've switched the back fan to be an intake, and have the fans for the radiator exhausting out the top, however I don't feel as if I'm getting enough cool air in to the system as my CPU temps are going up by ~5 Celcius when I'm loading the GPU
mad.gif

should I maybe switch the rad fans around to be intakes to see if that helps anything? ...or does anyone have any other helpful suggestions?!

Cheers, krs

·
Registered
861 Posts
Ehm, is your GPU watercooled? Highly recommended since most cards (except for the Asus DC II cooled cards, as far as I know) blow the hot air in the case itself. Which obviously would result in higher temperatures for other parts of your computer.

If it's not watercooled and you're absolutely unhappy with your temperatures, you might want to watercool your card too
tongue.gif

If it is watercooled, you might want to try other coolants on the market. (Not that it should make such a big difference).
Also: here's a link for your own rad fan orientation

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply / link
biggrin.gif

Definitely some food for thought! I think that since I upgraded to water cooling there is now poor airflow inside my case as I'd had the previous drive bay intake which is now 2/3 occupied by the reservoir
mad.gif
With my current overclocks (..and 30 Celcius days in my Sydney apartment)...my core temps are around ~70-75...however after 15-20 minutes of prime95 get as high as 85...however removing the side panel drops them back down to the 70-75 mark...

....I'm seriously thinking of getting creative now and heading down Bunnings to get some perspex...custom side fan here we come
thumb.gif

·
Registered
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsboss View Post

Thanks for the reply / link
biggrin.gif

Definitely some food for thought! I think that since I upgraded to water cooling there is now poor airflow inside my case as I'd had the previous drive bay intake which is now 2/3 occupied by the reservoir
mad.gif
With my current overclocks (..and 30 Celcius days in my Sydney apartment)...my core temps are around ~70-75...however after 15-20 minutes of prime95 get as high as 85...however removing the side panel drops them back down to the 70-75 mark...
....I'm seriously thinking of getting creative now and heading down Bunnings to get some perspex...custom side fan here we come
thumb.gif
Cleaning the CPU block and reapplying thermal paste won't be a bad idea either, I'm having the same stuff (i hope it will be this easy to solve) with my CPU, except that my temps are only 25-30°C, but they've risen about 7°C. Going to rebuild my whole rig again just to get rid of it
tongue.gif

Could you post a pic showing how your rig looks like right now? The 800D should be supreme when it comes to watercooling...I'm sure there's a way without serious modding.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Your radiator fans are put as exhaust so you're putting hot air through your radiator pretty much, your gpu isn't water cooled so once it's loading up it'll heat up the inside of your case and your radiator will suck in that hot air making your water temp rise as well. If you want the best temps for your radiator you need it to be pulling fresh air from outside but then your gpu will get hot if you don't exhaust the air in your case properly. Like you said you could have a giant fan on the side window exhausting while your radiator is intaking, that'll give you good water temps and air inside would be exhausted.

No coolant will result in better temps than distilled, coolant has no pros over distilled but big list in cons (gunk up, staining, etc) some coolants don't produce gunk buildup like ice dragon but it cools approximantly the same as distilled but cost 30x more..

·
Registered
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazenagi View Post

Your radiator fans are put as exhaust so you're putting hot air through your radiator pretty much, your gpu isn't water cooled so once it's loading up it'll heat up the inside of your case and your radiator will suck in that hot air making your water temp rise as well. If you want the best temps for your radiator you need it to be pulling fresh air from outside but then your gpu will get hot if you don't exhaust the air in your case properly. Like you said you could have a giant fan on the side window exhausting while your radiator is intaking, that'll give you good water temps and air inside would be exhausted.
No coolant will result in better temps than distilled, coolant has no pros over distilled but big list in cons (gunk up, staining, etc) some coolants don't produce gunk buildup like ice dragon but it cools approximantly the same as distilled but cost 30x more..
thanks for correcting me about the coolant, I once read something about something like that...probably missread that
tongue.gif

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...here's an image I posted in another thread, (taken with the side window / panel off):

The rear fan is set as an intake as well

I understand that by having the radiator fans exhausting out the top, that I am taking warmer air from the case, which is why I started this topic. With the side panel removed, my temps stay around 70-75, which putting it back on will mean they creep up over a 10-15 minute period before settling at ~10 Celcius higher than before (80-85).

If I turned the fans around and had them intaking air, there would be massive positive pressure as the rear fan could not exhaust enough air, and surely the warm air in the case would tend to want to rise back out of the top, which wouldn't give the best airflow.

I'd previously had a 3 x 5.25" drive bay fan as an intake when air cooling, which was excellent as it really helped with the 800D's lack of front intake, however now with my Blu-ray, fan controller & bay reservoir I don't have 1 bay free rather than 3! Apart from looking at installing a MASSIVE intake fan in the side window, looking at some smaller fans to create a single 5.25" bay intake fan, however haven't found anything 100% suitable yet!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow! That's a lot of watercooling!

Having the radiator or doing some modding to remove the bottom HDD cage is not really an option for me as I have 7 harddrives in my PC, so not only using up all the slots, I also have an SSD custom mounted inside the back panel!!!

The temps I'm getting are not really the issue for me, just the airflow. My CPU is 'reasonably' overclocked at 4.6 GHz, it's just the airflow seems to be lacking...anyway, I've found some 40mm fans so I'm gonna make myself a single slot intake fan to see if that can do any good
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yes and its quite an overkill already for another 240 radiator at the bottom.
biggrin.gif

I forgot to include this picture on my previous post wherein it has also a 360 external radiator on push pull configuration mounted on an xspc "cheapo" external rad holder.

Still waiting for the Koolance external radiator holder on my door step since it does take a while to wait for an item to be shipped here in the Philippines.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yeah maybe that might do some good... Nice rigs btw, both of you
tongue.gif
looking nice and clean (y).

@ OP: I wouldn't have any clue how to fix the airflow in yours tbh. Your GPU looks like the CUII card from Asus...So the hot air is supposed to be pushed out of the case. Which plugs did you plug your fans on? (might be on low speed?)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollii View Post

Yeah maybe that might do some good... Nice rigs btw, both of you
tongue.gif
looking nice and clean (y).
@ OP: I wouldn't have any clue how to fix the airflow in yours tbh. Your GPU looks like the CUII card from Asus...So the hot air is supposed to be pushed out of the case. Which plugs did you plug your fans on? (might be on low speed?)
DirectCu II and Twin Frozr like coolers all blow the air inside the case, it's only cards using a blower style fan (AKA reference designs) that blow air out of the case.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmen View Post

DirectCu II and Twin Frozr like coolers all blow the air inside the case, it's only cards using a blower style fan (AKA reference designs) that blow air out of the case.
Oh :s again made a wrong point then, though I was quite sure about the fact that the triple slot was just in favor of blowing out of the case... I know all the other do blow it inside the case
smile.gif
thanks for saying.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update! :

So...I switched the back fan to be an exhaust again, which has helped in creating more of a traditional airflow in the case, I did find some 40mm fans and am in the process of modding a custom single 5.25" slot intake fan, however I want it really primo so it's a bit more work!

After reading the article that was linked in the first reply, I decided to buy a set of NF-F12s for my rad. The NF-F12s have a 'focus-flow' separator between the fan blades and the surface contact with the rad, which acts as a shroud, so I'm using them underneath the rad to 'push' hot air out the top.

All seems to be working well as I'm now stable at 5.0 GHz with temps well under control
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krsboss View Post

Update! :
So...I switched the back fan to be an exhaust again, which has helped in creating more of a traditional airflow in the case, I did find some 40mm fans and am in the process of modding a custom single 5.25" slot intake fan, however I want it really primo so it's a bit more work!
After reading the article that was linked in the first reply, I decided to buy a set of NF-F12s for my rad. The NF-F12s have a 'focus-flow' separator between the fan blades and the surface contact with the rad, which acts as a shroud, so I'm using them underneath the rad to 'push' hot air out the top.
All seems to be working well as I'm now stable at 5.0 GHz with temps well under control
biggrin.gif
congrats on getting it worked out! Glad you liked my link hehe
biggrin.gif
. I'm getting the urge of going watercooled...but I can't afford it due to my recent build :s.
My build is really great to start with, I made my mistakes...now I know exactly what kind of hardware I want for my next build
smile.gif

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do it! It's not like you need to spend all your money in one go anyway! I used the XSPC Rasa RX360 kit as I'd had bad experiences with ALC units (Corsair H70) but wasn't confident enough just to buy components for a loop. I got teh RX360 kit for $200 AU, which I found to be very reasonably priced...subsequentially I've replaced the stock fans & tubing and now have the confidence to do a totally custom loop.

Even if it's not possible to do it now, upgrading computers at a later date is always possible and, for me anyway; an ongoing procedure...I'm actually quite upset that there's nothing I can really do to my PC until Ivy Bridge comes out (well short of SLI-ing my 580 or switching to LGA2011!)...

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm not going to replace/watercool my msi twin frozr GTX580 lightning xtreme
tongue.gif
...would've been such a big waste of money. Neither will I have another place for my noctua to do its job, so why would I bother getting my stuff watercooled? Besides, it's still quiet as hell ;p. Nah I'm not ready yet for watercooling my own rig, I'd prefer to build some rigs for friends/people. It would be the best way to ge experience in watercooling solutions and other peripherals. Besides, I'll make some nice cash out of those builds to support my own. The only thing I'd wish for now is people actually being interested heheheh.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.