Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting an i7-8700k, and plan to overclock just a little or not at all. I want a cooling solution that will be quiet as well. And I'd like to not spend over $120.

In looking all over at reviews, seems most recommend air coolers over the liquid, particularly the Noctua NH-D15. My problem with the air coolers (I've had a few) is that my house seems to have a lot of dust, and over time they get disgustingly dirty. And I just can't clean them as the dust gets stuck in the dissipating blades.

On the other hand, I've had a corsair H70 for a while (2011!) which has been near silent and trouble free... so I'm torn.

Is there a way to keep the dang noctua clean, or is there a great clc cooler that's quiet and reliable? Any other relevant points I'm missing?

·
PC Enthusiast
1,075 Posts
All I've ever needed is a brush.. I have a paintbrush I use as a sacrificial dusting utensil. Unless you have a smoker in the house, then the tar makes things impossible to clean.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Does your case have dust filters for the intake fans? That will significantly reduce dust/hair buildup. Also, try to make sure your case has positive airflow (more air intake than outtake) to promote airflow going out from the little gaps in and around the case structure.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does your case have dust filters for the intake fans? That will significantly reduce dust/hair buildup. Also, try to make sure your case has positive airflow (more air intake than outtake) to promote airflow going out from the little gaps in and around the case structure.
Yeah it's possible the airflow on my case is wonky... but to be honest, the other reason I was looking at the liquid coolers is the air coolers are HUGE. Like massive. So you can't barely see the motherboard. Stupid, but I think it's aesthetically nicer to see the mobo with a nice low profile liquid cooler. Also no ram height issues. I might have to get over that though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The only way to prevent dust from reaching your CPU heatsink is to have dust filters over your intakes. If you have a positive pressure setup(significantly more intake volume than exhaust) and good filters that you clean regularly, then you should get very little dust buildup.

Any reviewer preference for the Noctua NH-D15 is just a preference. It will typically be beaten by 280mm and 360mm AIOs by a few degrees, even more if you consider that you can easily double up fans on them if you really want to. And for a setup like yours, with a minor overclock(say, <5ghz) you don't even need a Noctua NH-D15 level cooling solution, any 240mm AIO would be plenty. Close to stock even 120mm is plenty.

The advantage of air coolers is they will run for 5-10 years+ without any maintenance, whereas CLCs generally need replacement around the 4-5 year mark because of evaporation, and can potentially fail catastrophically(leak) if completely ignored long enough. The performance differences are very small especially if your overclock is not extreme.

P.S. I have a 1.43V 5.2ghz 8700K on a Fractal Celsius S24 240mm AIO and it stays under 80C on prime95 avx in a very cramped and unforgiving case.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, I was just looking at the Fractal Celcius. From the AIO perspective, I guess I've gotten lucky with a corsair H70 that's lasted 7+ years. Bummer to hear most don't last very long.

·
New001
2,668 Posts
Yeah it's possible the airflow on my case is wonky... but to be honest, the other reason I was looking at the liquid coolers is the air coolers are HUGE. Like massive. So you can't barely see the motherboard. Stupid, but I think it's aesthetically nicer to see the mobo with a nice low profile liquid cooler. Also no ram height issues. I might have to get over that though.
Air coolers can be large, but nothing compared to teh size of all the gear for a Custom loop! Maybe consider an All-In-One cooler, but it will still consume more space than a large air cooler, just in a different area of the case, which may be preferable....

For $120 you cant really go Custom water cooling anyway, might as well just spend the money on the smallest cooler that offers the performance you want, and add dust filters and increase case pressure like others have suggested

·
Registered
78 Posts
From the AIO perspective, I guess I've gotten lucky with a corsair H70 that's lasted 7+ years. Bummer to hear most don't last very long.
That is definitely a very nice lifespan on that H70. They can absolutely last longer than 5 years, it just gets riskier to run them that long. Personally I wouldn't run an AIO out of warranty too long -- AIO warranties generally cover replacement of components in case of any serious failures, which is nice for peace of mind. Warranties are usually 5-6 years.

·
Registered
939 Posts
H100 ........ 3Y4M working fine $113 ; 20 mns to go in warranty
H110i GTX . 2Y2M working fine $110 ; 34 mns to go in warranty

I guess the only worry is the pump ; fans are easy to replace

·
Overclocker in training
13,958 Posts
Is there a way to keep the dang noctua clean, or is there a great clc cooler that's quiet and reliable? Any other relevant points I'm missing?
Hi,
One can usually add real filters to most cases on the intakes
I started out using actual a/c filter material
Now using old speak cloth
One could use ladies nylon stockings too fairly simple to concoct something better than stock case filter system :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Understood. Its all about your preference =) I personally like a massive, industrial looking cooler. Something hefty. Yes, its a can be a pain to install, but I only really need to install it once. I'll try an AIO in my next system, but that is then.

Also, (I don't know how comfortable you are doing this) but deli-dding and re-pasting the thermal compound works wonders. I lost at least 25c with my 6700k. Well worth it for me.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I'd just get an air cooler. Best performance and costs much less.
Air coolers can be silent too. They both have fans and the speed they run at is up to you.
Just like AIOs, the bigger they are the quieter you can run them.

If you must get an AIO I'd just get which ever has the longest warranty.

The DEEPCOOL Neptwin v2 is around $55, imo it's the best deal in CPU cooling.
If you can't fit that there's about 100 other good options that should.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts