Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been considering using the fan from the stock cooler of the 965 BE that I no longer use as additional cooling for the motherboard VRMs but I was wondering if it would disrupt the airflow in my case due to the placement between my cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212+) and the back of the case where a fan is placed as an exhaust.

Quick, crappy paint layout of the current airflow setup in my case:

(More system information in my signature under first born along with picture)

Also, how is the current state of my airflow in case? Any comments suggestions appreciated.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,147 Posts
It's good, and it's extreme overkill. I mean, with only one 7770 in your system, you really don't have any need to put much effort into the airflow at all. Of course, it would be different if you had something like two overclocked 7970s.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

It's good, and it's extreme overkill. I mean, with only one 7770 in your system, you really don't have any need to put much effort into the airflow at all. Of course, it would be different if you had something like two overclocked 7970s.
I'm mostly worried about airflow for the CPU, not so much the graphics card or anything else for that matter as everything runs cool. My only concern is that if I place the fan on the VRMs between the 212+ and the back of the case before the case exhaust it might affect the efficiency of how the 212+ will exhaust the air.

Also I'm planning on cutting out the grill of the exhaust fan sometime this week to help improve, thoughts?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Putting the current fan on the hyper 212 in pull creates more incidental airflow for the VRMs. It leaves ram without any real airflow though.

Putting an extra fan on your VRM's wont be too detrimental to the current airflow in the case, will just add some extra noise.
Quote:
Also I'm planning on cutting out the grill of the exhaust fan sometime this week to help improve, thoughts?
This in association with the 212 in a pull configuration is supposed to be the best setup - you can then remove the rear fan as well.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenman View Post

Putting the current fan on the hyper 212 in pull creates more incidental airflow for the VRMs. It leaves ram without any real airflow though.

Putting an extra fan on your VRM's wont be too detrimental to the current airflow in the case, will just add some extra noise.
This in association with the 212 in a pull configuration is supposed to be the best setup - you can then remove the rear fan as well.
I've been debating putting the fan on the 212+ in a pull configuration until I get some new fans for a push/pull configuration. Apparently from what I have been told it would help a few degrees but I haven't tested it yet which I might do this week. As far as the noise with the extra fan goes, I've been debating that as well because I remember when I used the stock fan and cooler for a while I noticed a whining noise when the speed was lowered.

I'm just trying to get some better cooling for the VRMs for overclocking so I don't have to worry as much until I get a higher quality board with more efficient VRMs (8+1 or higher). Another thing I've been debating was using some leftover TIM from the 212+ on the heatsink for the VRMs, would that be something worth trying or not really?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.