Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should probably be "a MCR-320", but "an" sounds better.

Anywho.

I'm dubbing out the fans in my Gigabyte Aurora for different colored ones. I have three 120mm fans in the Aurora that needs to be changed -- all blue. There is a pretty good chance by December that I'll convert to water cooling with the Swiftech MCR-320 (unless any similar priced objections).

So, instead of buying orange LED fans for my case, then turning around and buying more fans for the radiator, I was thinking about just moving the fans from the case to the rad, and the new fans in the case so that I won't have to buy two sets of new fans.

So -- my question; are three, 40CFM fans good enough for an MCR-320 radiator for a Core 2 Duo? What about a Quad? I'm not really going for quiet (they are damn near silent, though), it's just that this is a way to save some money. If more CFM is needed, or if cooling performance goes down the tube from lack of airflow, then I'll upgrade to higher ones, but if they'll do fine, I'll use them until I have money to buy some higher end fans and hook them up to a fan controller or something.

(BTW - somewhat unrelated question. I'm going orange LED case fans. Maybe. I'm wanting orange UV dye, but I can't really find any, and when I do it's in some huge amount for about $30. Could I just buy some red and yellow and make orange, or do dyes not mix well? And, in your opinion, should I go orange UV fans, or orange LED fans...? For air cooling I'd think LEDs would look better, but if my fluid is going to be orange UV, I'm thinking the fans would look better UV as well.)

Decisions, decisions...

*edit*
Spelled radiator wrong once in the second paragraph. Annoyed me. >.>;

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind the UV dye question -- found some cheap orange.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
The Swifty rads are made for lower cfm fans, I'd try them and if its not enough get some higher cfm fans...Put them on a shroud in pull and it will help...

Here are some decent cfm quality fans for cheap....I like the 120x38mm fans they seem to work better on rads, they have higher air pressure...

...Panaflo 86.5CFM

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool deal guys.
Thanks. I'll use the fans that I have first, and if they aren't enough, I'll upgrade to the ones i-rak linked to.

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook
View Post

Nevermind the UV dye question -- found some cheap orange.

uhm which orange uv dye did you find, link + pics?

i'm looking for a nice bright orange

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Me too, I've used both 46 cfm (D12sl12) yate loons and some higher speed panaflos and didn't notice any difference on mine witha a C2D E6600 at 3.3. Water temps usually are within about 2C of ambient so it's more than enough for a C2D overclocked.

I ended up going back to the loons after trying the panaflos because I liked the sound better.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Won't be until the end of this year.

·
Premium Member
7,426 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook View Post
Won't be until the end of this year.

I was trying to find some pics of the alphacool orange uv dye you pointed me to, and it's not looking too good, disgusting actually... lol

aparently on their german forum, they have several people complaining and one posted a picture, I just searched "orange" on their forum and found this and translated it.

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

1 - 12 of 12 Posts