Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I have an antec 900 case with two 120mm fan in the front that blow air into the unit. I have a 120mm fan in the back and 200mm fan on the top that takes the air out. Now my question is i want to add another 120mm fan on the middle left side panel and should I have that fan blowing air into the unit? How should i position the fan and any comment or tips on getting proper airflow.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an option to add one to the side for quite sometime now and finally doing it now. it will be a good thing for the gpu but its positioned very very close to it and I don't think that will be a problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anyone explain me how the 3 speed fans work. I know each speed increases the rpm but what fans should run at what speed. For gaming what should my front intake speed be and what should my outtake fan speed be?

·
⤷ αC
11,278 Posts
Fan speeds correlate to flow restriction (HDD cages, filters, etc.) , your desired temperatures, and the amount of heat you need to dissipate. Most people run their case fans ~900-1100 RPM.

These days fans come with voltage control and PWM control that allows for roughly a full range of RPM within the fan's RPM range (dependent on the fan).

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm09 View Post

Can anyone explain me how the 3 speed fans work. I know each speed increases the rpm but what fans should run at what speed. For gaming what should my front intake speed be and what should my outtake fan speed be?
What fans are you using? Antec?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yea? I'm running my intakes on medium and outtakes on low. I figured u want more in and I have a 200mm on top for a lot of passage. I wasn't sure if I should do high/medium ratio. Why the same speed?

·
Premium Member
6,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm09 View Post

Oh yea? I'm running my intakes on medium and outtakes on low. I figured u want more in and I have a 200mm on top for a lot of passage. I wasn't sure if I should do high/medium ratio. Why the same speed?
if you have a 200mm at the top as exhaust, there is no reason to run the 120mm on the back as exhaust.. i would simply remove the 120mm on the back or at least unplug it. the 200mm exhaust is already overkill for the amount of intake you have. powering the 120mm exhaust will simply add to the negative pressure and attract more dust.

for a more balanced pressure, you should unplug the 200mm top exhaust and leave the 120mm rear exhaust running. this way you have 3 intake and 1 exhaust. you have to remember that intake fans aren't anywhere near as efficient as exhaust because intake fans have to overcome the air filter an takes a fairly sizable penalty on the amount of airflow it can provide due to the filter. whereas the exhaust fan has almost no resistance at all and can function at full rated capacity. ideally you'd run high static pressure fans as intake so you can overcome the air filter and provide more intake air whereas you can just run a slow spinning fan as exhaust because the hot air will naturally want to exit the case anyway when you have a slight positive pressure configuration.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So you think im better off turning the big 200mm off and keeping the 120mm in the back as the only outtake. So what high static fans do you recommend for intakes?

·
Premium Member
27,667 Posts
What psyclum said.
thumb.gif

Unplug the 200mm.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I will unplug the 200mm fan but what speed should I run my single 120mm exhaust fan. Right now its on low and my intakes are on medium. Should I increase my lntakes on high bc of the filters?

·
Premium Member
27,667 Posts
All depends on what your temperatures are. Without knowing the temps of CPU and GPU we can't tell if the fans are running fast enough or not.
wink.gif

·
Premium Member
27,667 Posts
Your temps are good. No need to do anything.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts