Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AKA: FatBoy - My CHENBRO SR107 Pedestal Server/Workstation Mod.

So I am looking at full towers at NewEgg and finding some that I liked but wasn't really happy with committing on anything, that and I really wanted to do something a bit different. so for the hell of it, I decided to browse the server chassis section and that's when I ran across this and thought it was perfect. The CHENBRO SR10769 Pedestal High-End Server/Workstation Chassis. Plenty of room for water cooling and its nice, short, fat and long. And about as aero dynamic as a city bus. So I decided to buy it and to name this monstrosity FatBoy.

There is a few more pictures of the bare bones case at NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811123131

BTW, I wish I had some pictures of the cutting, chopping and painting process for you guys, but my camera died two days before making the mods. It was either buy a new camera, or order the 360 Rad, five Yate Loons and more tubing. So I naturally went with the parts. I could have possibly borrowed this camera earlier. but I was going nuts to tear into this project, and the case was just screaming at me to be chopped, so dove right into it. Anyway, most of the pics here are from a friends 5mp camera...

The case arrived with a pair of 120mm Delta fans in the middle of the case and a 120mm Adda in the rear. Awesome Fans, and a nice surprise but a bit to loud for my gf's taste, so I'll save em for another project, like hers.

So while looking, I thought of the possibilities of adding my 240 Rad by chopping the inner hot swappable fans panel and removing the middle shelf, and chopping a hole across the top for a new 360 Rad and a fill-port. Here you can see what I ended up cutting and removing.

(These two top and bottom pics, just above and below are from google image search, due to a dead camera, so thanks to someone out there for these two reference pics.
)

And here is what I ended up with after chopping, painting and assembling:

In this picture, you can see that I took the grills off the included delta and Adda fans and put them on the new yate loons doing pulling duty on top.

I included a shot of my Hell Spawn Demon Cat, who decided to pose. He took a break while inspecting for leaks.

Removing the two removable drive cages and middle shelf leaves a nice long air tunnel for the fans and 240 Rad in the middle.

Another side view of the open case, and a reminder that I need to figure something out for those cables...

Side view of the window mod... I wanted to hide the top shelf and power supply and show the mid mount radiator, so I cut for a low and wide window. But I still need plexiglass in these photos, I snapped these after the 24 hr leak test and just fired it up.

Better shot of the 240 Rad. I used my S-Flex fans doing the pulling while the new yate loons push, I don't know if a push/pull setup necessarily increases cfm, but placing your hand in front of the radiator you can definitely feel a lot more pressure. If you look, you can see that I still need to add some u-channel and mounting around the now radiator bracket/panel.

And a side angle from the front. I really like the length of this case. Its only around 16" high by 24" long so you can really see how crazy long this thing looks. Almost makes the 360 rad look smaller than it is.

I still have some work to do like some badly needed cable management and getting some smoked acrylic for the side panel, just to close up the window. And I might remove the original case feet add some Lian Li Aluminum Casters.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13...ake_WB-01.html

That and I may come up with a FatBoy Emblem.

So its a start and it will be slowly getting there. And I will probably add some more pics as I make a few more mods.

Hope you like and thanks for looking...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Looks nice and clean. I like.
I currently have an old Compaq server case which is begging to get modded and put to use, I just haven't found the time nor inspiration yet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

The thing about server cases, is they seem to be incredibly well built, The top of this case had two 1mm thick steel panels I had to cut thru for the 360 rad. No wonder it weighs a ton. And your Compaq sounds like it will be a fun project.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Thats sick, i always kinda wanted to use a chenbro tower for a mod. Went lian li since, but thinking i finally wanna do a mod case and this may be the right direction. Great job man!

Good looking cat too, looks like mine has a twin. lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho666 View Post
wow, that's something else

looks awesome man

Thanks Psycho

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllenG View Post
Thats sick, i always kinda wanted to use a chenbro tower for a mod. Went lian li since, but thinking i finally wanna do a mod case and this may be the right direction. Great job man!

Good looking cat too, looks like mine has a twin. lol
Its a fun case to mod, that's for sure. lian li's are some beautiful cases though too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jolly, its got tons of room up front, that for sure...

I just ordered the Lian Li Metal Casters Wheels...

They should be here by the middle of next week
Means I have do some tearing apart and drilling again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey ... nice mod indeed!
I have the exact same case but it's going into a rack soon with 2.5" drives.

Currently I have the 2 of the hotswap 3.5" drive cages which I want to sell.. Are you interested in them? Chenbro Micom SAS/SATA Hard Drive Cage - 84H210710-045

1 - 9 of 9 Posts